• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Luxman L-509X

Tangband

Major Contributor
Comparing the Bryston B1353 integrated amplifier ( above ) with this luxman ( below ) is interesting.

BEFEBB41-F024-4B2F-82DF-20897BA46AF3.jpeg
E0F35469-B4BD-4E9B-942A-8240929FAC08.jpeg

OP
pma

pma

Major Contributor
The Luxman (above) is better
The results in the two compared plots are in fact similar. Please do not forget that one plot is in dBV and the rms V is +15.9dBV, +15.9dB above 0 dB line. We need to evaluate the difference between 19,20kHz peaks and distortion components. Not to read distortion level directly at Y axis without regard to reference value.

I need to add that such a single parameter (moreover measured at different conditions) tells, as any other single parameter, almost nothing about the amplifier. Simplification is a pain. Only a full set of measurements into various loads including complex loads may indicate to something.

Last edited:

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
The above quote makes eminent sense, and it worries me. I have been considering getting the Luxman L-507uxii... as @restorer-john says, it presses the right buttons (it's simply the best looking classic-style amplifier chassis I have seen). The specs seem decent, but it's AUD $10k...

Are there any new thoughts on this model? Have any of the Luxman integrateds been actually measured properly? I can't find anywhere that has done so.

Stereophile reviewed the 509 here - https://www.stereophile.com/content/luxman-l-509x-integrated-amplifier-measurements
You can compare the differences in specs at Luxman's site. Possibly moot as the 507uxii is discontinued and replaced by the 507z at $8995 US dollars.
I have had my 507uxii for 3 years now with no issues.

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I've bit the bullet and plonked down a deposit for the 507z. Dealer offered me an AUD$1500 discount so the price came to the same as the previous 507. Should be here in Sept/Oct.
Nice that the dealer helped out some. It's funny when I think about my hifi journey. I started with an integrated amp with tone controls in 1981 and eventually all separates that morphed into all separate tube gear for close to 20 years then back to a solid state integrated 3 years ago as a way to simplify. The Luxman has tone controls and the bonus analog power meters - full circle in a way. I suspect you will enjoy the new version a lot.

Jake Cushing

Nice that the dealer helped out some. It's funny when I think about my hifi journey. I started with an integrated amp with tone controls in 1981 and eventually all separates that morphed into all separate tube gear for close to 20 years then back to a solid state integrated 3 years ago as a way to simplify. The Luxman has tone controls and the bonus analog power meters - full circle in a way. I suspect you will enjoy the new version a lot.
The hi-fi hero's journey! I'm looking forward to getting the new amp for sure. I'll admit aesthetics are the prime consideration, once the electronics are above a certain standard. Which is high enough, I think the evidence suggests here. I see hi-fi gear as furniture as much as any other object in a living room.

Now... if Benchmark made an integrated with one of their DACs built in, plus parametric EQ like the RME ADI dac allows, and put it all into a beautiful retro solid milled case with wood panels on the sides....

Top Bottom