• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Loudspeaker resolution measurement.

steve59

Major Contributor
I did a search with the thread title and didn't find an answer. I'm asking if there's a measurement that can identify a speakers, resolution ability on a scale? Around 15 years ago I owned couple pair of speakers from the same manufacturer, we'll say a pair of kef ref and a pair of Q with very similar measurements and on some music tonally also very similar, but the q

YSDR

Anyone for that?
Not so long ago a friend of mine came to hear my system and he liked what he heard but said that there are lack of resolution.
What that means? What measurement(s) would show that lack of resolution?
The frequency response of the speakers are flat to 20 kHz, the room is well treated and the electronics are not (or probably not) garbage (miniDSP digital section, Hypex digital/analog section).
Although I can relate to what he said.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone for that?
Not so long ago a friend of mine came to hear my system and he liked what he heard but said that there are lack of resolution.
What that means?
It’s a made up term that may mean a multitude of things… or nothing. What gave the fiends as explanation?

YSDR

He just said that probably my source (miniDSP SHD Studio as network player) have that low resolution/definition to the sound.
He didn't explained further why he thinks that about the sound of my system.

YSDR

The fact that you did a search and nothing came up tells you all you need to know.
Well, okay!
Maybe the lack of resonances, low distortion, relative low room reflections maybe not so exciting to some audiophiles?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Well, okay!
Maybe the lack of resonances, low distortion, relative low room reflections maybe not so exciting to some audiophiles?

Maybe he didn't see anything that involved spending stupid amounts of money.

Does this person consider himself an audiophile? Are you familiar with his system?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
‘Resolution’ seems to have overtaken ‘revealing’ in the subjectivists lexicon , I shall miss it, ‘I have a very high resolution system‘ just doesn’t have the same ring .
Keith

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Yes, he uses DIY fullrange speakers with DIY tube electronics.

What a shocker... Not.

So, he was probably just trying to reassure himself.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes, those who own systems that accentuate (or attenuate) certain frequencies hear the music differently than on other systems. Certain passages and instruments can be exaggerated, leading to the conclusion that they have a more resolving system.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Those would be my basic choices.

Add enough power to play well beyond the levels at which I would listen (maybe not necessary, but I prefer that).

Solid state sources would generally emit problems below audibility. When measured here, the signal chain looks "perfect" for the most part, and where it doesn't, the imperfections seem to be inaudible (a little utility power harmonics, and some low signal harmonics).

Speakers are likely to be the weak link in the equipment chain. Turn it up? Sure. No problem.

I like competent automated correction as it can adjust the signal to accommodate some speaker imperfections both in frequency response and the time domain..

The environment is another matter.

My room doesn't have much treatment, just furniture and carpet, but, in my opinion, my electrostatic dipoles don't interact with the room very much. A pair of JBL LSR 308 show many more higher level reflections, but I just use them for daily stuff, not "listening".

There's a hole in the bass around 48Hz due to asymmetrical room, though. It is evident in measures but not in listening. i didn't know it was there until measured. It is most prominent when the bass is mono, if the bass is recorded in stereo, the defect tends to disappear as the phase of the bass signal varies and doesn't excite the standing wave cancellation.

levimax

Major Contributor
As someone who has messed around with DIY speakers and active crossovers I can tell you it is very easy to mistake resolution with FR errors. The old saw "I heard things I never heard before" is most likey a boosted frequency range rather than some big improvement.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As someone who has messed around with DIY speakers and active crossovers I can tell you it is very easy to mistake resolution with FR errors. The old saw "I heard things I never heard before" is most likey a boosted frequency range rather than some big improvement.
Exactly. Or lack of bass etc.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Maybe he didn't see anything that involved spending stupid amounts of money.

Does this person consider himself an audiophile? Are you familiar with his system?
Moderator, could you please direct this poor soul to AudioMagicReview, maybe they could help him out. Heaven knows I tried as gently as possible....

2ndHarm

Anyone for that?
What that means? What measurement(s) would show that lack of resolution?
The frequency response of the speakers are flat to 20 kHz, the room is well treated and the electronics are not (or probably not) garbage (miniDSP digital section, Hypex digital/analog section).
Although I can relate to what he said.
Your friend might be used to listening with headphones, or his system has an exaggerated high end that he's become used to so he measures all systems based on his personal experience. Likely has little to do with reality as others have said here. Many people don't realize that the quality of their sound systems depend on a number of factors, and that their experience is often limited to one system which creates a bias they are not really aware of (or would care to admit).

JRS

Major Contributor
He just said that probably my source (miniDSP SHD Studio as network player) have that low resolution/definition to the sound.
He didn't explained further why he thinks that about the sound of my system.
Yep. Discount opinion entirely, likely fancies himself an expert and knowing the miniDSP operates at a 48 KB sampling rate, he belittles the sound because its not 96. Its all hooey as multiple studies have proven, but a significant portion of self described audio experts still cling to the belief if it is less than 96, it must suck. None of these people have done simple online tests of discrimination that would prove the fallacy of their parrot wisdom.

Your system may lack resolving power to hear very subtle aspects of performance , but that level of performance is typically quite expensive. Not uncommon would be speakers costing 10k or more. But that does not mean you have to spend that much, you just need to read here for even a few weeks to become aware of outstanding level of resolving power can be had in the 4 to 8k range for a pair. (Less if you make your own). And superb levels of reproduction for half that. IMO once you cross the $3000 mark and the system is properly set up, its a matter of rapidly diminishing returns.

Top Bottom