• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I contacted SVS about getting their speakers measured...

JakeK

Forum Donor
I've read some very good reviews of the SVS Prime Wireless Pro and they have some very desirable features but I can't find much in the way of measurements. I was wondering if SVS would want Amir to measure and review one so I went ahead and asked them. They've probably been asked and this path may have been trodden before but I thought there's no harm in asking. I got a very nice reply that essentially said no thanks as they don't want to share insights that could be read by other competing brands but invited me to have a home trial to listen for myself.

I can understand their argument that it would give away information to the competition but it could be read that they have something to hide. What's to stop any other manufacturer buying a pair and finding out anything they could want to know anyway? Amir or indeed any other speaker manufacturer could get a home trial to test these and simply return them for full credit saying they didn't like the sound.

threni

Major Contributor
I've read some very good reviews of the SVS Prime Wireless Pro and they have some very desirable features but I can't find much in the way of measurements. I was wondering if SVS would want Amir to measure and review one so I went ahead and asked them. They've probably been asked and this path may have been trodden before but I thought there's no harm in asking. I got a very nice reply that essentially said no thanks as they don't want to share insights that could be read by other competing brands but invited me to have a home trial to listen for myself.

I can understand their argument that it would give away information to the competition but it could be read that they have something to hide. What's to stop any other manufacturer buying a pair and finding out anything they could want to know anyway? Amir or indeed any other speaker manufacturer could get a home trial to test these and simply return them for full credit saying they didn't like the sound.
Hilarious. This way they have all the downsides of being copied but none of the upsides of great performance being touted and essentially getting free advertising. Maybe they're lacking confidence in their ability to make good speakers.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
they don't want to share insights that could be read by other competing brands

Lol! Uh huh

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That really is a terrible excuse. Like other manufacturers couldn't simply measure them.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Plus measuring subs is not as hard as full range speakers as one can dispense with all the spinning because they are pretty much omnidirectional. Essentially it comes down to bigger and more power is better (best SPL at lowest distortion and FR, one can EQ easily (because directivity is not at play)).

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Plus measuring subs is not as hard as full range speakers as one can dispense with all the spinning because they are pretty much omnidirectional. Essentially it comes down to bigger and more power is better (best SPL at lowest distortion and FR, one can EQ easily (because directivity is not at play)).
SVS make full range speakers. Those are probably what the OP was referencing.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless SVS makes exceptional speakers, that would sour me on buying them. That reply shows a big lack of integrity.

Astoneroad

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:... a break... a break... my kingdom... just give me a f..king break!

delta76

Major Contributor

a lot of speaker makers are still relying on the subjective reviews to sell their products. publishing such measurements is not that good for their business.
some exceptions are makers that aim for pro market like neumann or genelecs. they know their main customer base is not taking bogus BS claims

Trell

Major Contributor
It’s a disappointing reply from SVS for their speaker line. As for subwoofers they’ve been quite supportive of measurements, as I recall.

AudiOhm

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
charitably this is more a response from PR or technical support

to many companies this isnt worth doing because if it has problems it shows them to everyone

if they know their stuff is good then they already run this and they know what to expect

Trell

Major Contributor
I got a very nice reply that essentially said no thanks as they don't want to share insights that could be read by other competing brands but invited me to have a home trial to listen for myself.
Can you share the actual reply from SVS?

JSmith

Master Contributor
SVS Prime Wireless Pro

123SVSPfig2.jpg

JSmith

AudiOhm

Resend the email and ask them to send a set to Danny for one of his miracle upgrades...

Ohms

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Top Bottom