• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lotoo PAW Gold Touch Review (DAP)

YSC

Major Contributor
0. This is a ChiFi product but done in a very high tech way.

6. dunno why SE output has worse performance in this review. Probably some DSP features are enabled...
I am thinking about the Dental mode, which tried to remove the "teeth sound" of vocals, so that weird SINAD peak at certain region to try to suppress those related frequencies?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice, but expensive.

doctorjuggles

I have the PAW S1, very nice little dongle (and I prefer it, subjectively, to both my E1DA and my Zorloo Ztella).
While I agree with the comments on price, I’m still impressed considering how poorly the rest of the DAPs have measured.

D

Deleted member 19195

Some of this ChiFi stuff is really creeping up in price.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of this ChiFi stuff is really creeping up in price.

There are great Chinese made ones like the Holo Audio May which is highly regarded among subjectivists and objectivists alike. I like the fact that they innovate in the R2R discrete performance which just a couple years back never thought it would reach very close to SOTA multibit delta-sigma designs that we have today. What I like about the Chinese market is that they offer SOTA gears for budget and high end market. What's not to like about that?

Jake71

1609358659251.png

Wouldn't that be closer to 20bits considering:

20bits = 122.16dB
21bits = 128.18dB

Cheers,
Jake

Last edited:

Objectivist01

On price alone an iPhone with dongle would be better for wired iems and have many other functions too.
They share the same downside of a touch screen, which is needed for versatility in a phone but just a cheap cop out on a DAP IMO.
Yeah but i think using a iem with wired remote can solve it easily

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
There are ATE (which I assume are pre-canned equalisation) settings. "Brighter" "Sweet" "Dental".. Dental??? Puts one's teeth on edge perhaps? Again, zero clue in the manual. At this price point that is unforgivable. I would expect a professionally written, expansive and complete manual, and a hard copy in leather binding.
Dental likely is auto correct from CN or some kind of google translate error.. if you’ve ever visit China you should have some fun on their translations on billboards or signs
I'm not so sure...

Lotoo Paw Gold Touch Ad.jpg

YSC

Major Contributor
As a reminder, let's go with 'Chinese' vs ChiFi please.

There are historically negative connotations associated with the term that we'd like to stay away from.

Not picking on you @WoodyTobiasJr , but just trying to discourage it generally for those who didn't see Amir's note.

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/lets-avoid-the-term-chi-fi.18243/
I didn't notice thato_O

as a side note as Chinese myself I don't feel that much about these terms, being always political correct is very tiring man

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I didn't notice thato_O

as a side note as Chinese myself I don't feel that much about these terms, being always political correct is very tiring man

Abundance of caution...

We certainly aren't looking to offend, and I haven't seen it used in a specifically derogatory way by anyone here recently, but it's just one of those things that's better described in another way.

F1308

Major Contributor
The AKM4137EQ is an asynchronous sample rate converter. It appears as though they will use this to resample any input data rate.

I found the manual. For a $3000 device you would hope for something a bit better. It is no better than I would expect in a $100 device. Anyway, it appears as if there is a lot of setup options. All the different filters are there. Some EQ options as well, and software control of the output separately for for 3.5mm and 4.4mm outputs. One can set different gains. +14.4dBu(High Gain) -5.6dBu(Low Gain) I suspect the settings were different for the two outputs, and this explains the difference measured. The difference is 20dB, and this is exactly what Amir measured. So the unbalanced output performance is probably the same as the balanced so long as you set the gains. The instructions give no clue as to how this might be effected.

There are ATE (which I assume are pre-canned equalisation) settings. "Brighter" "Sweet" "Dental".. Dental??? Puts one's teeth on edge perhaps? Again, zero clue in the manual. At this price point that is unforgivable. I would expect a professionally written, expansive and complete manual, and a hard copy in leather binding.

Dental, but of course !!!!
Easy....
Being able to distinguish what any of those modes is delivering into our ears should be easy enough, don't you think so ?

Perhaps higher pitch notes (and its even higher pitched harmonics, but of course) are placed on every dental piece available, if any, same as bone conduction... for our enjoyment.
At times, simple hearing is not enough, and here comes this maker to the rescue of crash cymbals and the likes.
Mouth should be left a bit open in dental mode, I guess, otherwise there might be some unwanted resonances.

Last edited:

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember "dentals" in different context. My driving school instructor used to tell "we better downshift before my dental seals fall off.." at moments when we were slowing and there was higher gear shifted causing the engine to vibrate in suboptimal RPM...
(maybe less clear example for you Americans.. :p )

F1308

Major Contributor
I remember "dentals" in different context. My driving school instructor used to tell "we better downshift before my dental seals fall off.." at moments when we were slowing and there was higher gear shifted causing the engine to vibrate in suboptimal RPM...
(maybe less clear example for you Americans.. :p )

Engine knock happens when the speed of the internal expansion wave strikes the surface of a relative-too low-speed moving piston.
Damage can happen. Shift gears or close gas intake.
If those speeds match perfectly, we have maximum engine torque.
Torque tell us the angle we can go climbing, while power will fix the maximum speed it wil be done at.

Last edited:

Strato007

I have the PAW S1, very nice little dongle (and I prefer it, subjectively, to both my E1DA and my Zorloo Ztella).
While I agree with the comments on price, I’m still impressed considering how poorly the rest of the DAPs have measured.

Would that S1 measure closest to Paw gold??

Top Bottom