• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lotoo PAW Gold Touch Review (DAP)

vcl0124

Hi, I am not familiar with sound measurements and I really enjoy learning on this forum.

I find it a bit strange that of the daps reviewed i read on the forum, this is the only one that did not include jitter tests. I am curious how this dap performs and I can’t find jitter measurements of this dap anywhere on the internet. Although, while searching for the jitter measurements of this dap, I did come across a website that uses a chart to rank playback accuracy for daps and PAW Gold Touch placed similar to iPad Air. I find this to be confusing. Can anyone tell me what I am missing?

Do you have access to the dap to measure its jitter performance?
I think this is the website. Looking forward to learn more about the difference between measurements.

PS. I just found I clicked "report" rather than "reply" last time. Please ignore my "report".

Edited:
More detail about there measurement.

Last edited:

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m not sure my aging ears are worthy of a three grand DAP. This Is convincing me to pull the trigger on a decent music player with a great camera (iPhone 12) which appears to be a better value than I originally thought.
Add a good $110 dongle (e.g. E1da 9038s or Hidizs S9 Pro) and your "decent" music player from the iPhone easily outperforms any DAP. And if you have battery issues, add e.g. the $140 Hidizs DH 80S. Using the actual most powerful iPhone (13 Pro Max 512Gb for $1400) still amounts only to $1650 altogether, the best price for the Lotoo right now seems to be $2400. Insane in the comparison. And you can't make a single call with the Lotoo;)

damytzeus

Add a good $110 dongle (e.g. E1da 9038s or Hidizs S9 Pro) and your "decent" music player from the iPhone easily outperforms any DAP. And if you have battery issues, add e.g. the $140 Hidizs DH 80S. Using the actual most powerful iPhone (13 Pro Max 512Gb for $1400) still amounts only to $1650 altogether, the best price for the Lotoo right now seems to be $2400. Insane in the comparison. And you can't make a single call with the Lotoo;)

have you actually listened to any of the lotoo players? have you listened with high quality cans? anyone who thinks that any phone can perform at the level of the the lotoo players must be listening with very low quality ear or headphones.

i have the paw gold, paw6000 and paw5000mkii. these are all fantastic daps and no phone can perform to these levels. the parametric equalizer alone is incomparable. before these players, i tried to get the best sound from a phone and there's absolutely no way anyone can compare a paw gold to any phone. to fully appreciate any of the lotoos, you'll have to upgrade your earphones. i have a pair of ultimate ears live iems ($2200). if you want to hear want the paw gold can do, listen with some very high quality headphones or earphones. even the ultimate ears ue7 ($900) will reveal the outstanding performance of the lotoo daps. try listening to full size planars with a phone. the paw gold drives my large planar (monolith m1070) cans comparable to my high quality desktop headphone amp/dac (monolith balanced thx aaa).

this reminds of people who listen to high quality amps via lower quality speakers and say the amps don't sound any different. to hear what the amps can do, try pairing them with quality speakers.

and, when i thought i had an issue with a lotoo player, lotoo promptly responded via email. fortunately, these players are built like tanks.

nyxnyxnyx

Using the same logic, you can also just say that a $9 apple dongle can already do the job just as fine as the $100-range dongles.
you should ABX both devices (dongles & DAPs) before making such a bold statement.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
anyone who thinks that any phone can perform at the level of the the lotoo players must be listening with very low quality ear or headphones.

He mentioned a couple of dongles he thought to be good choices that would be added. Did you miss that part?

Using the same logic, you can also just say that a $9 apple dongle can already do the job just as fine as the $100-range dongles.

They don't have as much power to drive headphones, but used as a desktop feeding an appropriate amp it would be perfectly fine.

you should ABX both devices (dongles & DAPs) before making such a bold statement.

Maybe those claiming it sounds better could provide that AB/X, since there is no evidence that is the case.

nyxnyxnyx

Maybe those claiming it sounds better could provide that AB/X, since there is no evidence that is the case.
I agree, it should go this way no matter what direction people are coming from.
I saw enough elitist audiophiles claiming the most prestigious devices are the ones that sound absolutely best, and the crowd that seems to think the cheapest, near-sota devices can make other devices somewhat obsolete.

Garrincha

The Apple dongle measures just fine, no audible noise or distortion and linear FR, no need to ABX as there couldn´t be any difference. It just does not have enough power for many headphones.

Garrincha

have you actually listened to any of the lotoo players? have you listened with high quality cans? anyone who thinks that any phone can perform at the level of the the lotoo players must be listening with very low quality ear or headphones.

i have the paw gold, paw6000 and paw5000mkii. these are all fantastic daps and no phone can perform to these levels. the parametric equalizer alone is incomparable. before these players, i tried to get the best sound from a phone and there's absolutely no way anyone can compare a paw gold to any phone. to fully appreciate any of the lotoos, you'll have to upgrade your earphones. i have a pair of ultimate ears live iems ($2200). if you want to hear want the paw gold can do, listen with some very high quality headphones or earphones. even the ultimate ears ue7 ($900) will reveal the outstanding performance of the lotoo daps. try listening to full size planars with a phone. the paw gold drives my large planar (monolith m1070) cans comparable to my high quality desktop headphone amp/dac (monolith balanced thx aaa).
You really seem to think that money directly transform into superior audible quality. The (maybe to you surprising) finding on ASR again and again is that many cheap but well enigineered audio gear outperforms expensive one. Many dongles for $100 have SOTA dacs and headphone amps that are transparent to the source. The Lotoo or any other DAP simply cannot sound better (only if it adds distortion and someone prefers distortion). There are also phones that have dacs on par with the best desktop ones (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-measurement-of-lg-g7-thinq-smartphone.4468/)

this reminds of people who listen to high quality amps via lower quality speakers and say the amps don't sound any different. to hear what the amps can do, try pairing them with quality speakers.
Oh my, you also believe in amp sound??? If an amp has low noise and distortion and enough power for the speaker load, there is no audible difference.
and, when i thought i had an issue with a lotoo player, lotoo promptly responded via email. fortunately, these players are built like tanks.
For $2400 they better provide a good service

Last edited:

The_first_one

Has anyone used the Lotoo PAW gold touch to listen to audiobooks? I'm interested if it's possible to bookmark (to listen from a certain place) or to change the speed of listening?

Top Bottom