• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lotoo PAW Gold Touch Review (DAP)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Lotoo PAW Gold Touch portable digital audio player (DAP). It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $3,199 although I see it on sale for US $2,599.

The unit is hefty as all DAPs seem to be:

Lotoo PAW GOLD Touch Review DAP.jpg

Scrolling around was not as smooth as I like with some judder. But the VU meter emulation that was active while I was testing it as a USB DAC was the most faithful and beautiful I have seen! The rotary control is easy to turn although it moves through the volume range rather slowly. Luckily a bar graph comes up and you can just grab it and pull up and down.

Dual outputs are provided for balanced and unbalanced headphone connection:

Lotoo PAW GOLD Touch Review Digital Audio Player Balanced Headphone Out.jpg

As you see, the 3.5mm unbalanced is also the low gain output.

Lotoo PAW Gold Touch Measurements
Starting measurements showed serious problems both with unbalanced and balanced outputs:
Lotoo PAW GOLD Touch Review Digital Audio Player Low Headphone Out.png

Lotoo PAW GOLD Touch Review Digital Audio Player Balanced XRC On Headphone Out.png

I was about to close the thing up and send it to its owner when I noticed this "XRC" option on the main menu. It was on so I turned it off and was amazed what a difference it made in balanced mode:

Lotoo PAW GOLD Touch Review Digital Audio Player Balanced  Headphone Out.png

This kind of performance blows away any other DAP I have tested so far by a mile. It is so good that it give serious competition to desktop DACs:
best DAP review 2021.png

Sadly the improvement did not fully translate to the unbalanced/"lo" output:

Lotoo PAW GOLD Touch Review Digital Audio Player XRC off Low Headphone Out.png

The low output seems like an afterthought.

Anyway, good news continues as we sweep the output level:

Lotoo PAW GOLD Touch Review Digital Audio Player Balanced  THD+N vs Level Headphone Out.png

And measure dynamic range:
Lotoo PAW GOLD Touch Review Digital Audio Player Balanced Dynamic Range Headphone Out.png

IMD test is passed with flying colors:
Lotoo PAW GOLD Touch Review Digital Audio Player IMD Distortionpsd.png

Linearity is as perfect as it gets:
Lotoo PAW GOLD Touch Measurements DAP Linearity.png

Filter response is the very slow type which I don't like:
Lotoo PAW GOLD Touch Review Digital Audio Player Balanced  DAC Filter.png

I went to look for the manual to change it but did not find it. Hopefully it is a setting and can be changed to something sensible.

This naturally impacted THD+N vs frequency given its wide bandwidth:
Lotoo PAW GOLD Touch Measurements DAP THD+N vs Frequency.png

Notice how switching to higher sample rate fixed the high frequency issue indicating it is a filtering problem.

Back to good news, we have more of it in the form of multitone signal:
Lotoo PAW GOLD Touch Measurements DAP Multitone.png

Many desktop DACs would be jealous of this kind of performance let alone a portable DAP!

The meat of the unit is a headphone amp though so let's measure power into a high impedance 300 ohm load:

Lotoo PAW GOLD Touch Measurements DAP power into 300 ohm.png

The low output is not useful but the balanced out turns in very respectable performance with 53 milliwatts. Switching to 50 ohm we get:

Lotoo PAW GOLD Touch Measurements DAP power into 50 ohm.png

Measuring noise when outputting very little signal to sensitive IEMs we have:
Lotoo PAW GOLD Touch Measurements DAP 50mv dynamic range.png

This is above average but not top of the class:

most quiet DAP review.png

A proper, working lo output could have aced this measurement.

Listing Tests
I started with my killer test which is the 25 ohm, tough to drive Ether CX headphone. The Lotoo had no problem pushing this headphone, producing stellar fidelity in the form of dynamics, bass response, detail, etc. I did not have another headphone handy with the balanced connector handy so tested the Sennheiser HD650 using the unbalanced out. There just wasn't enough volume here to be usable.

Conclusions
Man, we have been waiting some two years for a performant DAP and here comes out of the blue a brand I had not heard of before wiping the floor with the rest of its competitors. Regardless of price, we had struggled to find a DAP that would match a good smartphone let alone one that competes with desktop products. Lotoo PAW Gold Touch changes all that. It delivers desktop performance that you can take on the road with you. Yes, it does so at nose bleeding prices but shows that technically there are no barriers to great performance -- just as we had predicted.

Happy to recommend the Lotoo PAW Gold Touch for excellence in engineering. You want great sound in a DAP? This is it so far.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Appreciate any donations using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

YSC

Major Contributor
that distortion in lo mode is weird looking, some kind of glitch on OS with the 4497??? nice performance at arm and leg costing though

gvl

Major Contributor
Does it run Android and has the common streaming apps such as Spotify or you're limited to your own bootleg or not mp3 and flac files?

gvl

Major Contributor
Looked like their own OS, not Android.

Even if I wanted to spend that much on a DAP it wouldn't fit my use case as I'm mostly streaming these days. But I understand there are people who mainly listen to their own collection.

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, "Lotoo OS". That way they can use quite an "old" CPU - wiki says 2011.
Interestingly, they list only "i.MX 6" but this range includes multiple models (up to 4 cores).
Any idea what model it incorporates? (my guess 1 core)

Reactions: Max

PeteL

Major Contributor
Filter response is the very slow type which I don't like:
View attachment 102336

I went to look for the manual to change it but did not find it. Hopefully it is a setting and can be changed to something sensible.

This naturally impacted THD+N vs frequency given its wide bandwidth:
View attachment 102338

Notice how switching to higher sample rate fixed the high frequency issue indicating it is a filtering problem.

/
I'd be willing to get a better understanding of this. Those sampling rates, 48k,192k, what do they represent exactly? It may sound like a stupid question, but is it the source sampling rate? If so would that mean that this DAP only perform well with 192 kHZ files? Looking at the THD+N above 5k for a 48 k SR, it's not good, and we only see the 192k IMD plot. Why I ask, is because when I see a soft filter like that, I assume that it's because the DAC actually perform over sampling, so It wouldn't matter what you feed it to, it would still be 192K (or 176.4 depending on the family) at the DAC and this filter would respect Nyquist. In fact it's the main reason for oversampling right? Being able to use a less steep filter, but here by seeing this, it does look like a real problem. I would have assume that if it's the only filter available, then the default, or even more likely not even an option, would be to oversample everything. Then, my assumption again, it wouldn't be a problem and you wouldn't have had these arguably poor measurments. Any insight on what I am not getting here?

gvl

Major Contributor
Yes, "Lotoo OS". That way they can use quite an "old" CPU - wiki says 2011.
Interestingly, they list only "i.MX 6" but this range includes multiple models (up to 4 cores).
Any idea what model it incorporates? (my guess 1 core)

WiFi b/g/n (Purpose Still Unknown)

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
'Just sayin' - you 'could' combine a $30 LG Rebel TracFone with a Qudelix 5k - for a total of $140. Get close to the 300mw in Balanced. Pick up PEQ - at the expense of a worse DAC (but THD still 90db down..)

That's what I use with an HE400i. Very happy - even more happy with Amir's new PEQ for the 400i. Do go Balanced though..

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The AKM4137EQ is an asynchronous sample rate converter. It appears as though they will use this to resample any input data rate.

I found the manual. For a $3000 device you would hope for something a bit better. It is no better than I would expect in a $100 device. Anyway, it appears as if there is a lot of setup options. All the different filters are there. Some EQ options as well, and software control of the output separately for for 3.5mm and 4.4mm outputs. One can set different gains. +14.4dBu(High Gain) -5.6dBu(Low Gain) I suspect the settings were different for the two outputs, and this explains the difference measured. The difference is 20dB, and this is exactly what Amir measured. So the unbalanced output performance is probably the same as the balanced so long as you set the gains. The instructions give no clue as to how this might be effected.

There are ATE (which I assume are pre-canned equalisation) settings. "Brighter" "Sweet" "Dental".. Dental??? Puts one's teeth on edge perhaps? Again, zero clue in the manual. At this price point that is unforgivable. I would expect a professionally written, expansive and complete manual, and a hard copy in leather binding.

Top Bottom