• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lossless stream with an iPhone (apple music)?

bplatypus

Hi!

I was wondering if using the apple camera lightning kit (lightning -> usb) to connect my iPhone directly to my DAC would result in lossless audio? And do you think it's a good solution? (I don't really care having to connect the cable each time I want to listen to music...)

I'm currently using an ATV (controlled with my phone) to stream music (using HDMI!). But it is limited and I want to introduce a new DAC in my system (which does NOT have HDMI-IN...).

Additionally do you know if it's possible to use Apple Music on an android device? With lossless audio??

Thanks for you advices.

edit: just wanted to add that I find it hard to understand why Apple voluntarily restrict its products... it is the same thing for movies/tv series we would like to stream through ATV...they don't allow hdmi-passthrough for third party apps like Plex.

Last edited:

Miniyouuuu

HDMI is “lossless” but limited to 48khz. Some Apple Music achive 192khz resolution. Those songs won’t play bitperfect.
Airplay 2 limit is 44.1khz.

OP
B

bplatypus

HDMI is “lossless” but limited to 48khz. Some Apple Music achive 192khz resolution. Those songs won’t play bitperfect.
Airplay 2 limit is 44.1khz.
yes, you're right. it is lossless but limited, updated my post ;-).

but do you know if using a cable from my phone would be lossless?

Miniyouuuu

You could use a Bluesound Node connected to TV through hdmi Arc before the amp. Node DAC wont be exceptional, but it works. And every time you connect appleTV, Node turns on the amp through a 12v trigger. Is slow but it works.
Cheaper solution: HDMI audio extractor from tv (Amazon Basic, Oreo HDA…) and coaxial connection to a Wiim pro plus (nice and cheap DAC).
DSP solution: wait for the upcomming MiniDSP flex HT. HDMI DAC and DSP solution in case you suffer from room modes or any other sound issues.

Anderlfs

I was wondering if using the apple camera lightning kit (lightning -> usb) to connect my iPhone directly to my DAC would result in lossless audio? And do you think it's a good solution?
Yes, tested and a cheap good solution.
I'm currently using an ATV (controlled with my phone) to stream music (using HDMI!). But it is limited and I want to introduce a new DAC in my system (which does NOT have HDMI-IN...).
Do that, a new DAC will be a good investment at this point.
Additionally do you know if it's possible to use Apple Music on an android device? With lossless audio??
You need a program like UAPP in Android to play bit-perfect audio, and It only works with Qobuz and Tidal right now.

Top Bottom