• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looks like Class D is the only option for ultra clean, high power amplification

SSS

At least 150wpc into 8 ohms. Ideally at least 200wpc into 8ohms. I have pretty big speakers that would benefit from the power.
Following your discussion I am curious what drives you to promote class-D amps? Of course class-D is the future because of less space needed, cheap production, good efficiency and fairly good data. And in other gear like TVs class-D is already in use for some time. So producers will push class-D amps. But measured data is not all. It is also needed good reliability, build quality and the ability to repair an amp. Perhaps due to low price repair is not needed anymore in the future, just replace a module. So I fear that class-A / AB will fade out except for boutique amps.

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's clearly more a question of industrial design, branding, and perhaps reliability than output power or other specs.
Agreed, but no reason for him to be so hostile about people talking about a conversation on the only options of .000x thd+n amps out there.

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Following your discussion I am curious what drives you to promote class-D amps? Of course class-D is the future because of less space needed, cheap production, good efficiency and fairly good data. And in other gear like TVs class-D is already in use for some time. So producers will push class-D amps. But measured data is not all. It is also needed good reliability, build quality and the ability to repair an amp. Perhaps due to low price repair is not needed anymore in the future, just replace a module. So I fear that class-A / AB will fade out except for boutique amps.
I am not promoting Class D, not sure how you get that impression. I am merely stating that if it is going to take Topping a long time to come out with a high power amp, then the only options you got are the Class D and the Benchmark bridge.

I was actually trying to see how long it will take for Topping to come out with a more powerful version of their LA90.

I probably would of gotten the Benchmark except that I don't like the small chassis as it won't match with my other components and it costs about $1k more than a Nord.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sokel

Master Contributor
What class has to do with anything?
Last time I checked the top SINAD ones are class AB and I couldn't care less.

Unless you mean 'cheap",that's another matter.

danadam

Major Contributor
No different than a Ferrari with a top speed of 200mph where you can't drive that fast anywhere.

No different than a time piece that is make of gold where it doesn't make the time keeping anymore accurate.

No different than living in a huge mansion where there are some rooms you don't even use.
One of these is not like the other two.

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What class has to do with anything?
Last time I checked the top SINAD ones are class AB and I couldn't care less.

Unless you mean 'cheap",that's another matter.
Nothing. . .except if you want a high power, ultra clean amp, say 200wpc at 8 ohms and THD with 3 zeros, then you only have the class D amps as your option or bridged Benchmark.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Nothing. . .except if you want a high power, ultra clean amp, say 200wpc at 8 ohms and THD with 3 zeros, then you only have the class D amps as your option or bridged Benchmark.
I say it again,that's for cheap.
Cause if price is not of concern here's an example:

623halcro.side.jpg

40k.PNG

specs.PNG

Of course it's 40K$.

Edit:The amp above is Halcro Eclipse,sorry for not mention it,you can find the measurements here as @Galliardist rightfully posted later.

Last edited:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Check the list below, some excellent class AB options in the blue excellent area. They are just not cheap though...

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t even know what the point of this conversation is now. There is a short list of amp makes that fit the OP’s definition of “ultra clean and high power”. Except maybe a a few kilobuck doorstops.

Ok.

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Check the list below, some excellent class AB options in the blue excellent area. They are just not cheap though...

Just looked at the list. The overwhelming vast majority of the amps on this list with 3 zeros are Topping and Class D from Netherlands and Denmark.

Saw a McIntosh in there and some prototype amp.

jomo

Class A and A/B amps are like steam engines. No reason to build them anymore other than for nostalgia purposes.
Oh yeah? I’ve been running my steam engine (B&K 202) for over 30 years now. How long did those quadruple zero Topping amps last, 30 hours? I hear of Hypex NC amps crapping out alot as well.

I guess those “Ferraris” are about as reliable as a Ferrari.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Very low impedance drive is still the domain of the class A/AB designs. Class D is just starting to become 2 Ohms capable in tests.
I've seen plenty of measurements of Hypex amps into 2 ohms and they look clean and fairly powerful to me. Show me something where Hypex or Purifi isn't capable into 2 ohms, please.

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh yeah? I’ve been running my steam engine (B&K 202) for over 30 years now. How long did those quadruple zero Topping amps last, 30 hours? I hear of Hypex NC amps crapping out alot as well.

I love my A/B. But I also have a Hypex DIY for over an year now, play it almost every day, no issues so far and the warranty from Hypex backs that up.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen plenty of measurements of Hypex amps into 2 ohms and they look clean and fairly powerful to me. Show me something where Hypex or Purifi isn't capable into 2 ohms, please.
The tests and specs show that 2 Ohms and below for the majority of class D stuff is not yet ready for prime time like a hearty low impedance drive class A/AB amp is. The Purify has been 2 Ohm rated and the newer Hypex is too but I don't see them at less than 2 Ohms rated.

Top Bottom