• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why can't a Sine Wave be used for testing high-power Class D amps?

D

Deleted member 21219

It really just depends on how the limiting thresholds are set, which varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. They don’t want Gene killing an amp any more than an idiot who thinks he’s clever (the most dangerous type).

On my subs, I have access to all that, but I never dared mess with Funk’s settings.

Using the words "idiot", "moron", "shit", "dumbassery" and then claiming that it's simply honesty are not conducive to productive conversations. They are also not necessary; they are crude and abusive and indicative of argumentative and provocative individuals.

We don't subscribe to Emily Post at ASR, but we appreciate posters who use common sense and display respect.

Thank you.

Jim Taylor

Steve81

Forum Donor
Using the words "idiot", "moron", "shit", "dumbassery" and then claiming that it's simply honesty are not conducive to productive conversations. They are also not necessary; they are crude and abusive and indicative of argumentative and provocative individuals.

We don't subscribe to Emily Post at ASR, but we appreciate posters who use common sense and display respect.

Thank you.

Jim Taylor

I’m not calling anyone here such names. I’m saying people who have no idea what they’re doing, and decide to push full power sine waves are idiots engaged in dumbassery…because they are.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
B

bibio

The sinewave is reproduced by the amp but as the level is increased the amplifier heavily limits the signal. You don't get anywhere near the potential full output of the amp.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The sinewave is reproduced by the amp but as the level is increased the amplifier heavily limits the signal. You don't get anywhere near the potential full output of the amp.
So you don't get the rated output?

OP
B

bibio

absolutely nowhere near the rated output. I've been told before not to use sine waves for testing these amps, I'd like to understand why.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
absolutely nowhere near the rated output. I've been told before not to use sine waves for testing these amps, I'd like to understand why.
If they don't give rated output with a sine wave, that does sound like a major problem.

OP
B

bibio

but this is how you evaluate a traditional Class A/B amp, using sine waves.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I've tested at least two dozen different Class D amps and have never seen any issue like this at all. Either you're grossly misunderstanding someone or you're reading stuff written by incompetents.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
B

bibio

FYI, I've only seen this issue on very high-power amplifier designs, small class d amps are totally fine.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
FYI, I've only seen this issue on very high-power amplifier designs, small class d amps are totally fine.
Please describe exactly what you've "seen this issue on very high-power amplifier designs," because that's arrant nonsense.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure how much power we're talking; but it should work fine nonetheless.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
One reason I fled that place years ago.
That's an old post, from the time I was an admin/head moderator at that forum. Our policy was to not censor posts that were technically stupid, but rather to allow smarter members to correct things in public.

Top Bottom