• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looks like Class D is the only option for ultra clean, high power amplification

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At best, you get two zeros with them. The class D and Benchmark are getting 3 zeros or more.

Again, not audible, but for those who want ultra clean.
Benchmark is AB with feed forward, btw.

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Benchmark is AB with feed forward, btw.
I know. I never said Class D was the only amp out there. I said the 3 ultra clean amps out there today are the danish and dutch class D, Benchmark and Topping. But if you want high power, you only have the class D or you bridge the Benchmark.

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are looking for ultra clean, those ARE the only ones that matter, because those are the only ones out there.

I have a Yamaha, that is spec'ed at .07% THD+N at full power, that's 63db but I love it. I also have a Hypex and I love it too.

The truth is, probably anything less than .5% is inaudible and so what? I along with many others are looking for a >= .000x; and the fact remains, there's only a handful of options out there and if you are looking for one that's high power, then you can scratch Topping off for a while.

So you're looking for 'clean' beyond what you (or anyone) could actually hear.

What a hobby.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

What a hobby.
But class D is unique. It measures very clean, but only audiophiles can hear the mess it makes.

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
that's just my opinon man
So you come on beefing with me about expressing an opinion (which btw it wasn't, it's a fact on the state of the market place) and then you drop the classic
"Class A amp is superior" opinion?

OK there.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I know. I never said Class D was the only amp out there. I said the 3 ultra clean amps out there today are the danish and dutch class D, Benchmark and Topping. But if you want high power, you only have the class D or you bridge the Benchmark.
Or you built the Neurochrome I linked and learn something while having some fun along the way ;)

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

What a hobby.
No different than a Ferrari with a top speed of 200mph where you can't drive that fast anywhere.

No different than a time piece that is make of gold where it doesn't make the time keeping anymore accurate.

No different than living in a huge mansion where there are some rooms you don't even use.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
So you come on beefing with me about expressing an opinion (which btw it wasn't, it's a fact on the state of the market place) and then you drop the classic
"Class A amp" is superior opinion?

OK there.

yeah thats it

good talking with you man

lets do this again some time

can you tell us some more about Class A?

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
can you tell us some more about Class A?
Is this like a challenge on who has more technical knowledge or something?

Better yet, have you done a Blind ABX test with a Class A and any other amps?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
you brought up class A, i didnt

usually the formality is that you have to bring up evidence for your assertion....

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you brought up class A, i didnt

usually the formality is that you have to bring up evidence for your assertion....
My mistake, I misread and thought you said Class A is vastly preferable than Class D.

But you actually said:
something like an as1200, to me, is VASTLY preferable to many class d amps...
So that's your opinion, which you brought up, so my question to you is: can you pass a blind ABX with a Yamaha AS1200 and another amp?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on this comment from John Yang of Topping, looks like if you are looking for a ultra clean, high power amp, there's not many options out there. You are likely left with Dutch and Danish Class D (Hypex, Purifi, IcePower) amps or bridged Benchmark.

I was planning on waiting to see what Topping can cook up, but I don't think it will be anything soon. So definitely pulling the trigger on a Nord soon.

In your opinion what is high power?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
My mistake, I misread and thought you said Class A is vastly preferable than Class D.

But you actually said:

So that's your opinion, which you brought up, so my question to you is: can you pass a blind ABX with a Yamaha AS1200 and another amp?

firstly please brush up on what is class A and what is class A/B

2ndly amps, like dacs are at the end of what science can do, you may not believe it but i do

3rdly i'm going to put it to you that many many many of us would not pass an abx with many amps... that is a weird sort of tangent to go on when even you admit that going for 000 or 00 doesnt really make that much difference in the real world

i'd go further than this

if i had a McIntosh 7200 i wouldnt buy another amp ever again

it probably benches like shit compared to a Topping BUT... no one dreams of owning a Topping (but many Topping nightmares happen!)

many dream of owning a McIntosh

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

krabapple

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No different than a Ferrari with a top speed of 200mph where you can't drive that fast anywhere.

No different than a time piece that is make of gold where it doesn't make the time keeping anymore accurate.

No different than living in a huge mansion where there are some rooms you don't even use

I never said vanity and ego were *confined to* our hobby.

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
firstly please brush up on what is class A and what is class A/B
First off, get yourself off of that high horse my man. I am EE, albeit specialized in digital and now in software. Don't talk to me with that condescending tone, so let me bring you back to Earth for this conversation.

2ndly amps, like dacs are at the end of what science can do, you may not believe it but i do
What in the world does this statement has anything to do with anything with this discussion?

3rdly i'm going to put it to you that many many many of us would not pass an abx with many amps... that is a weird sort of tangent to go on when even you admit that going for 000 or 00 doesnt really make that much difference in the real world
No shite, what tell me why do you *vastly* prefer your Yamaha over the class D? I own an A-S2200 BTW.

i'd go further than this

if i had a McIntosh 7200 i wouldnt buy another amp ever again

it probably benches like shit compared to a Topping BUT... no one dreams of owning a Topping (but many Topping nightmares happen!)

many dream of owning a McIntosh
What does one's dream and opinion has anything to do with anything we are talking about here? I said if anyone wants a high power ultra clean amp, your only options are the Dutch and Danish Class D and the Benchmark bridged. Ain't nobody here stopping your dream of a McIntosh.

OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I never said vanity and ego were *confined to* our hobby.
No, you did not.

But let me ask you this question, if I want a really pretty girlfriend or wife, do you think I want them for vanity and ego or for other reasons related to being in the bedroom? :D

Not trying to be a smart ass, but I don't believe people want such things only for their ego and vanity all the time.

Top Bottom