• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking to buy my first DAC

CarlToft

Edit: Deleted the part with Topping D10 balanced.
I just got the Topping L30 which I really enjoy. I was wondering if there is an audible difference between my ASUS b350-f gaming motherboard DAC and a decent DAC.
I also want to know how to connect them together? I only own an RCA to RCA.
My max budget is $300 and it has to be available in europe.

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well you would send the signal to the Topping DAC probably over USB from the computer. Then the output of the DAC would go to the L30. Since the L30 doesn't have balanced connections you'd really be better off with either an E30 DAC or the D10S both of which have RCA connections.

As to whether you'd hear a difference versus the Asus on board is hard to say.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I was wondering if there is an audible difference
If you aren't hearing noise from your motherboard it's unlikely that you'll hear an improvement. Distortion & frequency response are almost always better than human hearing.

I also want to know if I buy the Topping D10 balanced how do I connect it to my Topping L30? I own an RCA to RCA as the only cable other than aux.
You can use adapters but you won't have a balanced connection and it can get tricky, especially with balanced output. Going from an unbalanced output to a balanced input is usually more straightforward.

"Stereo" adapters like this will probably work. You'll just have to leave one of the RCA jacks unconnected.

OP
C

CarlToft

If you aren't hearing noise from your motherboard it's unlikely that you'll hear an improvement. Distortion & frequency response are almost always better than human hearing.

You can use adapters but you won't have a balanced connection and it can get tricky, especially with balanced output. Going from an unbalanced output to a balanced input is usually more straightforward.

"Stereo" adapters like this will probably work. You'll just have to leave one of the RCA jacks unconnected.
I have read some articles and heard a lot about that balanced output doesn't make a difference. I don't know if it is true. For example this article https://sound-au.com/articles/balanced-io.htm

OP
C

CarlToft

Well you would send the signal to the Topping DAC probably over USB from the computer. Then the output of the DAC would go to the L30. Since the L30 doesn't have balanced connections you'd really be better off with either an E30 DAC or the D10S both of which have RCA connections.

As to whether you'd hear a difference versus the Asus on board is hard to say.
Sorry if I am completely wrong but I have read that balanced doesn't make any difference.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry if I am completely wrong but I have read that balanced doesn't make any difference.
It does make a difference in certain applications. When using long cables then the balanced method is better or if there are ground loops then balanced helps stop that from occurring. Otherwise you probably won't hear a difference between the two. If you connect the DAC and amp and there is a ground loop and it's noisy then the balanced connection would be helpful. But both the amp and DAC must be balanced connections.

OP
C

CarlToft

It does make a difference in certain applications. When using long cables then the balanced method is better or if there are ground loops then balanced helps stop that from occurring. Otherwise you probably won't hear a difference between the two. If you connect the DAC and amp and there is a ground loop and it's noisy then the balanced connection would be helpful. But both the amp and DAC must be balanced connections.
Thanks, do you think the D10 balanced is worth it even when not using the balanced?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, do you think the D10 balanced is worth it even when not using the balanced?
No, I do not think the D10 balanced is worth it when using the L30. For mating to the L30 just buy the E30. If there is a ground loop then return it and get a balanced system.

EDIT: Is the L30 amp a lot louder than the ASUS MB audio output?

OP
C

CarlToft

No, I do not think the D10 balanced is worth it when using the L30. For mating to the L30 just buy the E30. If there is a ground loop then return it and get a balanced system.

EDIT: Is the L30 amp a lot louder than the ASUS MB audio output?
Yea it is a lot louder and it feels like the bass has a lot more power than with using mobo dac

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yea it is a lot louder and it feels like the bass has a lot more power than with using mobo dac
That's good to hear. I have been considering a AIO DAC amp for my ASUS motherboard PC too. It goes pretty loud although it is maxed out 100% of the time and with some tracks it is not very loud. :D

OP
C

CarlToft

That's good to hear. I have been considering a AIO DAC amp for my ASUS motherboard PC too. It goes pretty loud although it is maxed out 100% of the time and with some tracks it is not very loud. :D
I haven't really tested it but what i have heard it sounds a lot better and the volume knob Is pretty satisfying

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I haven't really tested it but what i have heard it sounds a lot better and the volume knob Is pretty satisfying
The ASUS motherboard onboard headphone amp that I researched has, if memory serves me correct, ~50mA of juice capability. That's not much before it runs out of steam. My saving grace atm is the Sennheiser headphones are efficient and easy to drive. It's my birthday time and it's time for a treat for myself. :D It's either a new AIO DAC/AMP from Topping or a new $600 chair for the desk...lol. I'm tired of wearing out a chair every ~3 years. Maybe get both if I get craZY! :facepalm:

Rayman30

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The ASUS motherboard onboard headphone amp that I researched has, if memory serves me correct, ~50mA of juice capability. That's not much before it runs out of steam. My saving grace atm is the Sennheiser headphones are efficient and easy to drive. It's my birthday time and it's time for a treat for myself. :D It's either a new AIO DAC/AMP from Topping or a new $600 chair for the desk...lol. I'm tired of wearing out a chair every ~3 years. Maybe get both if I get craZY! :facepalm:

Take a good look at the JDS Labs Element III, I absolutely love my Element II, somethings are greater than the sum of their parts, the fit and finish and big knob are very nice, along with the screen and auto-gain its a joy to use.

OP
C

CarlToft

Take a good look at the JDS Labs Element III, I absolutely love my Element II, somethings are greater than the sum of their parts, the fit and finish and big knob are very nice, along with the screen and auto-gain its a joy to use.
I live in Europe unfortunately and it is pretty expensive:(

OP
C

CarlToft

The new DX5 should be pretty good and maybe.

Top Bottom