• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

First setup: WiiM Pro Plus, Topping L30 II, HIFIMAN Edition XS (updated)

bff

Hello. I've been lurking around for a bit but I have absolute no audio experience, mainly because audio equipment is very expensive where I live (South America).

Since I will be traveling to the US in a few months, I thought about purchasing some budget equipment to get me started on this hobby. Please note that everything will be put on my desktop, where I also have a set or powered speakers (Edifier S360DB), which would be a nice plus to have it hooked on the streamer as well.
1. Does this list makes sense? I am totally open to other options, as long as the price doesn't differ too much.

2. Do I need to purchase additional cable to set it up?

3. Am I correctly assuming how to connect everything? I went with the Edifier via the Headphone Amp in order to use its volume knob:

Hi-Fi.drawio.png

Thanks

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Does this list makes sense? I am totally open to other options, as long as the price doesn't differ too much.
I'd replace the SMSL SU-1 with a WiiM Pro Plus since it's just as transparent, but less clutter overall.

I'd also consider the Topping L30II or the JDS Atom Amp 2 instead of the Schiit, though it depends on the price.

3. Am I correctly assuming how to connect everything?
Almost. The Edifier's RCA input needs to be connected to the headphone Amp's RCA Line output.

Connecting it to the WiiM's Line in won't do anything (Input->Input).

Reactions: bff

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I would be tempted to cut out the SU1. Send either optical or coax digital to the speakers from the Wiim. Get the Pro PLUS and send the RCA line out (not line in) to the headphone amp. (The Pro would likely be fine but the Pro Plus has a top quality DAC)

EDIT- ninjad by Static again. But @staticV3 couldnt they go digital to the Edifier from the Wiim?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Good point!
You can connect the Edifier either directly to the WiiM via Toslink or Coax, or via the Headphone Amp in case you prefer to use its volume knob

OP
bff

bff

@staticV3, @Jimbob54 thank you very much for the inputs.
  • I've removed SU1 and added WiiM Pro Plus;
  • I've replaced Schiit Magni with Topping L30II;
Is the diagram correct now? Do I have to purchase additional cables?

Thanks

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is the diagram correct now? Do I have to purchase additional cables?
yes, the diagram is correct. No additional cables are required except what is displayed on the diagram.

Reactions: bff
Top Bottom