• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for my next set of bookshelf/monitor active speakers

skam22

Hi everyone,

I've had my M-Audio AV40 for over 8 years and last week it started playing up. When I turn on the speaker it makes a loud buzzing sound that can't be adjusted by volume control.

Here's the link to the video I recorded while playing music on my TV.

I opened the active speaker to look for any meltdown, etc but it all looked ok but since I'm not familiar with fixing electronic components I decided to look for a new set of speakers.
I've cheeked some of the Amir's reviews on the cheaper speakers here and I thought I'd ask you guys for suggestion.

I have the below speaker on my radar: (prices in AUD)
1. Edifier R1280Ts $160
2. JBL 305P MkII $500
3. KRK Classic 5 $330
4. KRK ROKIT RP5 G4 $500
5. Polk Audio T15 $240

My setup is pretty simple; L/R RCA out of my TV into the speaker RCA line-in.

Any feedback/suggestion would be appreciated.

Cheers.
Sam

Attachments

• IMG_20230528_192308.jpg
    IMG_20230528_192308.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
OP
S

skam22

The JBL’s have a good rep for the price.
Should I expect a huge improvement over my old AV40 if I go with JBL? If anything cheaper is on your list feel free to post it here :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A friend of mine had (has?) similar M-Audio speakers (at least by driver size for the AV40, not sure what the model he had was, if different). His were in a nearfield computer desk setup that I got to hear some music of his band and some other music he wanted me to check out. They were better than the computer speakers I used at that time, but wasn't particularly impressed by them otherwise compared to the better speakers I was used to at home. I heard some KRK 5s demoed in a store once, wasn't particularly impressed. Don't know the others....

I did pickup a pair of first gen JBL 305s a few years ago for USD 180/pr, mostly based on the very good user comments they were getting and even a review with measurements (don't remember whose particularly, but wasn't ASR) so took a chance on them (via Amazon) and was very pleased on setting them up, think they're a very good value. Mine are setup in a small bedroom/office so perhaps a bit more than nearfield (6'?) in my usual listening spot in that room and work very well. Just checked on Mk2 pricing, Amazon has them for USD 258/pr delivered). They don't have rca inputs, so you'll need an adapter/cable (I built rca to xlr cables for mine), but it also has 1/4" (6.3mm) inputs.

You might be interested in this https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...mkii-and-control-1-pro-monitors-review.10811/

OP
S

skam22

A friend of mine had (has?) similar M-Audio speakers (at least by driver size for the AV40, not sure what the model he had was, if different). His were in a nearfield computer desk setup that I got to hear some music of his band and some other music he wanted me to check out. They were better than the computer speakers I used at that time, but wasn't particularly impressed by them otherwise compared to the better speakers I was used to at home. I heard some KRK 5s demoed in a store once, wasn't particularly impressed. Don't know the others....

I did pickup a pair of first gen JBL 305s a few years ago for USD 180/pr, mostly based on the very good user comments they were getting and even a review with measurements (don't remember whose particularly, but wasn't ASR) so took a chance on them (via Amazon) and was very pleased on setting them up, think they're a very good value. Mine are setup in a small bedroom/office so perhaps a bit more than nearfield (6'?) in my usual listening spot in that room and work very well. Just checked on Mk2 pricing, Amazon has them for USD 258/pr delivered). They don't have rca inputs, so you'll need an adapter/cable (I built rca to xlr cables for mine), but it also has 1/4" (6.3mm) inputs.

You might be interested in this https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...mkii-and-control-1-pro-monitors-review.10811/
The JBL seems to be a good upgrade to my AV40. I have the 3.5mm TRS to 1/4" TRS adaptor and RCA to 3.5mm cable. :)

Andersonix

Given a pair of M-Audio AV30 which have burned out zener diodes and melted wires and caps from running too hot, so it turns out this is a thing with M-Audio. If they sounded any good I would convert them to a pair of passive speakers, but they're not so hot in that way...

Teeter

What is your listening distance.....6 feet? What then?

fishergod

I've got Yahama HS-7's. Happy with those. Kick is fine. Heard great things about Kali LP-6 and LP-8 that are very budget friendly.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Heard the Rokit, once had some M-audios and own the 305s. 305s best on your list.

Teeter

OP
S

skam22

Just to update everyone.I got a pair of Edifier R2750DB for just AUD $155 (including shipping). It was a good deal so I thought why not try them out.
Things I like about them:
1. Wider sound stage (woofer, mid-range, tweeter)
2. Better lows (goes lower than AV40)

Things I dont like:
1. They're considerably larger than AV40.
2. Remote control has odd volume buttons

Here I've attached a photo of the speaker next to my 55inch TV.
IMG_20230606_222331.jpg

Teeter

Looks pretty impressive.........ENJOY!

mjgraves

My situation is a curious parallel. I just upgraded from a pair of M-Audio BX-5 D3s to JBL 705Ps. Talk about a major leap forward!

At the time I bought several pairs, the BX5s were technically the most popular small powered monitor in the world. This was driven by the broadcast industry (where I worked) who have lots of need for basic audio monitoring in editing stuites, master control, etc. These situaitons call from the basics. Decent sound. Very reliable. Empasis on affordable.

BobbyTimmons

Just to update everyone.I got a pair of Edifier R2750DB for just AUD $155 (including shipping). It was a good deal so I thought why not try them out.
Things I like about them:
1. Wider sound stage (woofer, mid-range, tweeter)
2. Better lows (goes lower than AV40)

Things I dont like:
1. They're considerably larger than AV40.
2. Remote control has odd volume buttons

Here I've attached a photo of the speaker next to my 55inch TV.
View attachment 290576
Looks like a great set up.

Top Bottom