• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for advice

Brian_Stokes0

So I have got the itch to upgrade my current setup.

Source: PC (Amazon Music HD)
DAC: SoundblasterX G6
Amp: Fosi Audio BT20A
Speakers: Sony SSCS5's
Sub : Sony Core Series 10" 115W Active Subwoofer
Headphones: Hifiman Sundara's

I have been quite happy with my current set up since upgrading from onboard sound and computer speakers and while most songs sound great coming through my speakers for the most part, I think some songs sound slightly veiled or muddy particularly rock. Maybe I'm imagining things, maybe its just the recording or maybe I'm crazy I don't know. Either way, I've decided I want to improve my sound. So I've been considering some upgrades but my god is there a lot choices. Here is what I'm thinking. I would appreciate any suggestions that would help me navigate this rabbit hole.

1st - Emotiva BasX A-100 Stereo Flex Amplifier (used) or BasX A2m Stereo Flex Amplifier (New) or Ayima A07
2nd - Geshelli Labs J2 Ak4493
3rd - Emotiva Airmotiv B1+ or ELAC Debut 2.0 B5.2 or Klipsch RP-500M
4th? Should I get a preamp or separate headphone amp? If So which one?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speakers make the biggest difference in sound quality and that should be your priority. If Harman still has the Studio 5 line on sale, you cannot go wrong with any of those and they have free returns including shipping if you don’t like it. The 590’s are top heavy and can tip over.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the BassX A-100 in my garage system and I am not happy with it after buying my son a Loxje A30 and hooking it up to the same system.
I also have the Elac Debut 2 B5.2 in my HT system EQed to sound great but they definitely need a sub. There are mixed revues on the net mostly positive. I you get them under $250 -VG.

Michou

I would change to better speakers first and then eventually proceed to the next stage. Even with EQ, I doubt you could improve your setup much by keeping the Sony speakers. I have a pair, they're hopeless. After all, you cannot turn lead into gold. The JBL Studio 530 are superb for the money if you can find them on sale and put up with their looks but I'm afraid your amp may then become the limiting factor. The JBL Stage A130 would be a good match or some Wharfedale Diamonds or Q Acoustics small bookshelves. The remaining inventory of the discontinued Klipsch RP600 (first iteration) are currently discounted, and that could be another option unless you are sensitive to forward, bouncy speakers.

Last edited:
OP
B

Brian_Stokes0

I would change to better speakers first and then eventually proceed to the next stage. Even with EQ, I doubt you could improve your setup much by keeping the Sony speakers. I have a pair, they're hopeless. After all, you cannot turn lead into gold. The JBL Studio 530 are superb for the money if you can find them on sale and put up with their looks but I'm afraid your amp may then become the limiting factor. The JBL Stage A130 would be a good match or some Wharfedale Diamonds or Q Acoustics small bookshelves. The remaining inventory of the discontinued Klipsch RP600 (first iteration) are currently discounted, and that could be another option unless you are sensitive to forward, bouncy speakers.
It looks like the 530's are on sale right now, what amp would you recommend pairing with those?

Michou

It looks like the 530's are on sale right now, what amp would you recommend pairing with those?
I use a Klipsch Powergate (no longer sold) but I would recommend an amp with reasonably good 4 Ohm ~100W power delivery, some Yamaha S series perhaps, honestly it all depends somewhat on where you are located, choices, availability and costs are quite different from country to country. My preference is for a solid class A/B integrated even if you have to look at the secondhand market.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I doubt you could improve your setup much by keeping the Sony speakers. I have a pair, they're hopeless.

Learning why they are hopeless is the point of investing time and effort in measurement and EQ. This investment will yield returns time and time again with future purchases and setup decisions. 'Great' speakers can sound poor if they are not setup properly and 'OK' speakers can sound great if they are.

I would also argue that there is more to learn from measuring and setting up OK speakers, than there is from measuring and setting up great speakers and you'll be better informed (and make better decisions) when purchasing your next speakers.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just start with the amp you have at least to start.

Ruhled

Welcome to ASR. You should optimise what you have first. Buy a UMIK-1 measurement microphone, learn how to use REW and apply EQ in Windows...

This x1000. Start here. IMHO the veil and mud could really just be the results of some obnoxious bass peaks caused by room modes. New speakers would essentially have the same problem, if it's an issue in your room, and it usually is ime. It's just a question of how bad. What are the dimensions of your room?

OP
B

Brian_Stokes0

This x1000. Start here. IMHO the veil and mud could really just be the results of some obnoxious bass peaks caused by room modes. New speakers would essentially have the same problem, if it's an issue in your room, and it usually is ime. It's just a question of how bad. What are the dimensions of your room?
Hi Ruhled, my room is 16'x16'with a 10 foot ceiling. My speakers sit on my desk about 3ft apart and slightly toe'd in and I sit about 3-4 ft away from them. I like my Sony's but they seem to fall apart a little bit with some songs for example, I really notice it whenever I listen to Jimmy Eat World. "The sweetness" starts out airey and clear with just the vocals but as soon as guitars come in at around 5 seconds they sound muffled. I have EQ'd them to try and correct some of the speakers short comings with moderate success but at this point I'm really looking for opinions on gear. I am curious really as to what kind of set up I can put together for a reasonable price. I am leaning towards the Emotiva's but now am also considering Wharfedale Diamond 12.2's. I am willing to upgrade my amp as well. Once I get set up with new system I will attempt to measure and dial it in a bit.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Another vote for starting with speakers/sub for greatest return at this point, at your distance can't think the amp needs particular attention yet. Or rather than even use an amp, consider active/powered speakers....

Top Bottom