• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do I understand this right? Amp/DAC rec

nastynick

Hello. I'd like add some monitors to my desk and not sure I understand what components I should buy.

I built a pair of passive speakers with a bmr and pair of woofers (I used these plans). They are going on my desk, but will also be my bedroom system. These are not Hi-Fi speakers and I don't have good ears. So, I'd like get a pretty good amp to drive them that offers a good value. I'm looking at the Ayima A07 max, Fosi ZA3, Cambridge Audio ADA25, and the Emotiva BasX A2m.

For now, I'm going to skip a streamer and just use my desktop computer. Instead of using the 3.5mm line out I figure I should get a DAC to add equalization and prevent issues with interference. I also wouldn't mind having a high quality mic setup for recording myself at the desk and for video calls. So I'm looking at adding an audio interface. I saw good reviews of the Motu M2 and Audient iD4 MKII. Are there others around this price point that are newer/better?

I was thinking pc > usb 2.0 > M2 > balanced 1/4" > Fosi ZA3 > banana plug > speakers

Does this sound like a complete setup for a basic stereo system for a desk? Will this setup sound pretty good? Will something like the M2 or iD4mkII sound as good as something like the Topping E30II? Am I misunderstanding anything here? Are there better options?

Last edited:
OP
N

nastynick

I'm just putting this here for reference. I ended up figuring out, what I hope will be a pretty enjoyable desk system. Starting with the pair of rule breaker speakers and a GRS high excursion sub in a ported 1 ft3 enclosure tuned to 27 Hz. The path is PC>USB-C>Scarlett 2i2>balanced XLR>Dayton SPA250DSP>balanced XLR>Fosi ZA3.

I'm pretty excited about the system. It's definitely a lot nicer than I was intending to build when I started. It's got a lot of great features like auto power, low pass and high pass filters, DSP sub, balanced inputs and all the software and functions that come with the interface.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I hope you enjoy the fruits of your labors!

Top Bottom