• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a DAC/AMP replacement

kazzak

Hi, I`m looking for something to fill my specific needs. I currently run a pair of HD58X headphones and a pair of active speakers out of my dying MAYA u5. Actually for some time I`v been thinking of getting a entry level AMP for my HD58Xs but since my MAYA is kind of randomly shutting down and running quite warm I think I also have to look for a new DAC.
I do need ether the DAC or AMP to have the option of line-out or (better) a pre-amp-out to my active speakers since I do switch between them and headphones quite a bit. I do prefer neutral / warm (but just a bit worm) listening experience.
A DAC with bluetooth / wifi / ethernet would be really nice, since Spotify is usually playing in the background and some sort of control from my phone or lack of need to turn on my pc would be beneficial. A remote for the DAC would be ideal but solid swithces on the fornt are acceptable.

I would like the setup to have room for new (probably) more demanding headphones in the future.

The choices I`v been looking into were:

DAC/AMP combo:
Topping DX3 Pro - It was ideal for me, good reviews, a decent DAC, a decent AMP for the price, bluetooth, remote and the option to plug in my headphones and speakers in at the same time, it even had a super nice (in my opinion) design and screen. Unfortunately than the V2 dropped and well, you all know how it went with the overall opinion of the V2, (255 USD locally).

FiiO K5 Pro -good reviews, it lacks bluetooth and the remote from the DX3 Pro, does not have the filter options, from what I read there is no option to change the output other than pluging in or out the headphones (230 USD locally).

Schiit Hel - good reviews, but I don`t need the mic in, and would prefer more output/imput options ...

DAC + AMP stack:

Topping D50s + Modi 3 heresy - it almost has it all except the D50s not having a dedicated line-out/pre-amp-out for my speakers which would require passing the signal through the Modi 3 heresy. It is also the most expensive solution, at least from where I live in (Topping D50s 305 USD locally, Modi 155 USD shipped and taxed)

Khadas Tone - I have no idea is it better than the other offerings at this price point (for 99 USD shipped?)

Unfortunetelly JDS labs are out of the question for me, the shipping cost to Poland is insane +45 USD + taxes :'(.

I would really like not to exceed 500 USD since I started planning on getting the DX3 Pro for 250 USD (that`s how much it costs locally).

So ... how will those choices compare in your opinion and what other recommendations do you have ?

Thank You in advance!

Last edited:

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You might want to also look into the Sound BlasterX G6. I think the DAC measures better than the K5 Pro, and the headphone amp will have plenty of power for your headphones.

OP
K

kazzak

I did bump into the SB G6, it was not a piece of equipment I can build on, not a great DAC or AMP (it was just ok for the price). I`m not all that By the DAC did you mean the D50s?

Last edited:

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
K

kazzak

I was under the assumption that the DAC in the G6 was not as good as the one in the K5 Pro, I will go through some reviews again, THX!
Is it comparable with the D50s / Khadas Tone / modi ?

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I was under the assumption that the DAC in the G6 was not as good as the one in the K5 Pro, I will go through some reviews again, THX!
Is it comparable with the D50s / Khadas Tone / modi ?

Read the ASR review I linked to already. It uses measurements. Subjective testimonials of how DACs and amps sound are unreliable. Read this to learn more: http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2012/04/what-we-hear.html Better to base your selections of DACs and amps on how they measure.

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I did bump into the SB G6, it was not a piece of equipment I can build on, not a great DAC or AMP (it was just ok for the price). I`m not all that By the DAC did you mean the D50s?
The SBX G6 DAC specs are noticeably better, then the K5 Pro's DAC chip.

OP
K

kazzak

Just as an update, I had a good deal on a Topping A50 + D50s stack and could not resist. It arrived a month ago and I was enjoying it quite a bit :). I must say, the audio coming out of this stack is "clean" and there is quite a bit of power reserve, at least for my HD 58X. The DAC works fine with my PC or BT, I had no problems with pairing it with my phones. The only tiny problem is that the the AMP likes to run a bit worm and I have to remember to turn it off after use.

Top Bottom