• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!
D

Deleted member 21219

I was in a musician's shop years ago, and I heard a customer ask the owner, "Which guitar amp is the best?". The owner replied, "Whichever one you like the most."

The more I thought about it through the years, the more I saw the wisdom in that reply. You don't get satisfaction from the biggest, the best, the fastest or the most expensive. You get satisfaction from the one you like the most.

Get the one you like the most. Otherwise, you can follow someone else's advice and second-guess it for the rest of your life. That's just how the human mind works.

Good luck! :)

Jim

OP
M
I was in a musician's shop years ago, and I heard a customer ask the owner, "Which guitar amp is the best?". The owner replied, "Whichever one you like the most."

The more I thought about it through the years, the more I saw the wisdom in that reply. You don't get satisfaction from the biggest, the best, the fastest or the most expensive. You get satisfaction from the one you like the most.

Get the one you like the most. Otherwise, you can follow someone else's advice and second-guess it for the rest of your life. That's just how the human mind works.

Good luck! :)

Jim
thank you for the replay tim, but again **these three stand for what I like in sound** in my price range ofc, but one might have better dynamic while having less detail. which I need to take into account before buying, hence why I am here...

Galliardist

Major Contributor

So, we have an insensitive, genuine 4 Ohm speaker. As usual, we have no information on room size or listening distance, and we know there’s a turntable but not which cartridge.

We have an M2si review here:

Not bad, but not recommended and I wouldn’t buy it for these speakers. I don’t see any review with measurements for M3si but it appears to be the same amp with a DAC so the same story.

On manufacturer specs for the YBA (trustworthy?) it’s the only one that comes close.

The YBA has no phono stage, so if you don’t have one you would need to budget for it. I’d also prefer to see an independent measurement before buying.

What else is available to you?

OP
M

So, we have an insensitive, genuine 4 Ohm speaker. As usual, we have no information on room size or listening distance, and we know there’s a turntable but not which cartridge.

We have an M2si review here:

Not bad, but not recommended and I wouldn’t buy it for these speakers. I don’t see any review with measurements for M3si but it appears to be the same amp with a DAC so the same story.

On manufacturer specs for the YBA (trustworthy?) it’s the only one that comes close.

The YBA has no phono stage, so if you don’t have one you would need to budget for it. I’d also prefer to see an independent measurement before buying.

What else is available to you?
its fine I got a phono, all I need is an amp. I think imma go for the yba, thank you for being the most informative guy here. the m3si is not the same amp (its similar)

OP
M
Someone's been reading too much nonsense in the "audiophile" press. The idiotic pieces of wood in the amp are a new one to me, tho. o_O
I asked the opinion of my grandfather (an engineer) which worked as an engineer at the soviet space program, he said it will help to isolate EMI, but won’t make a hear-able difference.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I asked the opinion of my grandfather (an engineer) which worked as an engineer at the soviet space program, he said it will help to isolate EMI, but won’t make a hear-able difference.

He's an electrical engineer that is familiar with audio products? Let alone the silly stuff audiophilia has proposed these days to combat the deadly (much sarcasm) EMI?

OP
M
He's an electrical engineer that is familiar with audio products? Let alone the silly stuff audiophilia has proposed these days to combat the deadly (much sarcasm) EMI?
He’s familiar with electric interference, him being familiar with audio or not has nothing to do with it.

Michou

44c7f0d-7358-405e-b63b-19463d1c2381.jpg

I love the electrical circuit, it is well made and looks like it had thought put into it.
Upon initial inspection of the internal components captured in the above image, it seems evident that the power supply transformer and heatsink appear relatively undersized for the purported 165W/4Ohm power output.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
thats a wrong way of building a system imo, why would you get such a thing? audio is supposed to be enjoyed and if an amp can make it even more enjoyable why make it neutral? if you like a warmer sound and you bought a pair of speaker which arent as warm as you might have liked, why can't you get a amp to balance it out?
In fact, most people who claim to own a system with, or to prefer a system with a warm sound don’t. Their system is either neutral or distorting in some other way. And in controlled testing, almost everyone prefers neutral electronics, preferring maybe a bit more or less deep bass from a system and that is determined by the speakers, not the electronics.

If you choose speakers that don’t sound the way you want, you are already on the road to disappointment. Maybe tone controls or EQ can recover the situation A different to neutral amp? Well, you may prefer it, but I can’t say that it will make up for the wrong speakers.

You are asking us to guess what you will like. We can only go by what the vast majority of people do like in terms of the sound in the room, and what will work together, because that is the state of knowledge.

geek101

Forum Donor
All good amps sound the same ie they attempt to amplify the source without adding distortion. If you want this then start with Fosi audio v3 300w (can be used as monoblock) for $81 or May be with larger power supply at $140. Start with one and if not enough based on distance you sitting from the speaker and volume levels you are listening to try two of these.

If still not satisfied try the hyped NCx500 amps.

D

Deleted member 48726

hey I am looking to buy a amp for my elac solano bs283, after searching for local options (new, I don't like buying something electronic without a warranty) and came up with 3 main options:

the yba heritage a200 for 1800 usd (has a pretty nice dac in it so I won't need to upgrade for some time)
or
the musical fidelity m3si for 1800 usd (has a pretty meh dac so I will need to upgrade)
or
the musical fidelity m2si for 1300 usd (has no dac so its cheaper than the rest so I can get a good dac with it)

please do not take the dac into account, I want the one with the best amp performance out of these three for my solano's.

thank you all in advance <3

If you force me to choose between those three, It'd be the YBA Heritage A200 due to the following reason alone:
- More power and rated at 4 ohm which is suitable to your speakers nom. Z (2 x 165 W @ 4 ohm)

Yamaha R-N1000A if it must be new. No Audiophoolery with this one, no dead tree carcass accidently dropped inside. Just a classy looking, well built relatively powerful army swiss knife of amplifiers.

1706419079086.png

1706419326526.png

Galliardist

Major Contributor
If you force me to choose between those three, It'd be the YBA Heritage A200 due to the following reason alone:
- More power and rated at 4 ohm which is suitable to your speakers nom. Z (2 x 165 W @ 4 ohm)

Yamaha R-N1000A if it must be new. No Audiophoolery with this one, no dead tree carcass accidently dropped inside. Just a classy looking, well built relatively powerful army swiss knife of amplifiers.

View attachment 345631
View attachment 345632
I'll agree, but again I can't find any independent measurements...

Top Bottom