• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!
hey I am looking to buy a amp for my elac solano bs283, after searching for local options (new, I don't like buying something electronic without a warranty) and came up with 3 main options:

the yba heritage a200 for 1800 usd (has a pretty nice dac in it so I won't need to upgrade for some time)
or
the musical fidelity m3si for 1800 usd (has a pretty meh dac so I will need to upgrade)
or
the musical fidelity m2si for 1300 usd (has no dac so its cheaper than the rest so I can get a good dac with it)

please do not take the dac into account, I want the one with the best amp performance out of these three for my solano's.

thank you all in advance <3

staticV3

Master Contributor
A Hypex NC122MP or NC252MP Amp from one of these manufacturers will drive your BS283 to its limits, with absolute transparency, for around $500:

-Buckeye Amps
-VTV Amplifier
-Nord Acoustics
-Audiophonics

Spending any more will not result in higher sound quality, just in a lighter wallet :)

EdW

hey I am looking to buy a amp for my elac solano bs283, after searching for local options (new, I don't like buying something electronic without a warranty) and came up with 3 main options:

the yba heritage a200 for 1800 usd (has a pretty nice dac in it so I won't need to upgrade for some time)
or
the musical fidelity m3si for 1800 usd (has a pretty meh dac so I will need to upgrade)
or
the musical fidelity m2si for 1300 usd (has no dac so its cheaper than the rest so I can get a good dac with it)

please do not take the dac into account, I want the one with the best amp performance out of these three for my solano's.

thank you all in advance <3
If it‘s an all digital audio setup (no turntable or analog inputs) you won’t need a preamp facility.
So a DAC with a digital volume control, operated by the DAC remote, can directly drive a power amp.
Amp recommendations as @staticV3 above - in North America Buckeye Amps is building a reputation for excellent value and quality. You could also consider Apollon, BoXem or March Audio for an amplifier with a quality build.

dan_uk

How many inputs? And if only single source, how about a DAC with a volume knob and then a Hypex power amp, maybe with ncx500 to future proof it.

OP
M
If it‘s an all digital audio setup (no turntable or analog inputs) you won’t need a preamp facility.
So a DAC with a digital volume control, operated by the DAC remote, can directly drive a power amp.
Amp recommendations as @staticV3 above - in North America Buckeye Amps is building a reputation for excellent value and quality. You could also consider Apollon, BoXem or March Audio for an amplifier with a quality build.
I will connect my michell engineering gyrodec to the amp.

Last edited:
OP
M
no I will connect them to my michell engineering turn table.
my system has 3 sources, my tv that is connected to the arylic bp50 (which is why I need the preamp bypass in an amp), my michell engineering gyrodec, and my my pc which I will replace with a streamer after I buy the amp.

OP
M
A Hypex NC122MP or NC252MP Amp from one of these manufacturers will drive your BS283 to its limits, with absolute transparency, for around $500:

-Buckeye Amps
-VTV Amplifier
-Nord Acoustics
-Audiophonics

Spending any more will not result in higher sound quality, just in a lighter wallet :)
I need to buy stuff *locally* I am not from the united states. these three are my options. also I don't like class D.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I need to buy stuff *locally* I am not from the united states. these three are my options. also I don't like class D.

Fair enough. The thing about ASR members is THEY DON'T LISTEN, which is ironic isn't it? They have their own mindless standard answers they trot out without listening to the OP's specific requirements. That's why NONE of them would ever make a useful salesman of any type. It's funny to watch and yet so tiresomely boring.

I'd have a good look at the YBA- it looks to be solid and well made. I'm not a big fan of the front panel 'look', but it may look better in the flesh.

Last edited:
OP
M
So about where is your location?

Why?
Because from my experience class D amps sound too analytical, too boring and neautral. These amp I listen will pair nicely with my solano because of what they sound like. In general I heard a lot of yves bernard andre amps and loved them.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Because from my experience class D amps sound too analytical, too boring and neautral.
If you prefer a non neutral sounding amp you could use EQ or tone controls.
These amp I listen will pair nicely with my solano because of what they sound like. In general I heard a lot of yves bernard andre amps and loved them.
I think you already answered your question.

Reactions: EdW

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Fair enough. The thing about ASR members is THEY DON'T LISTEN, which is ironic isn't it? They have their own mindless standard answers they trot out without listening to the OP's specific requirements. That's why NONE of them would ever make a useful salesman of any type. It's funny to watch and yet so triesomely boring.
What? A pair of Genelecs and Topping DAC aren’t for everyone? Blasphemy! what were you saying again? :)

OP
M
Yes and no, because I need to choose one of the those three amps and I havent received an answer yet.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The thing about ASR members is THEY DON'T LISTEN, which is ironic isn't it?
It's not ironic, it's just plain false.:facepalm:

I do listen, but I know from both science and own experience that I cannot rely on my hearing sense when judging sound quality without proper controls.

Last edited:

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is this worth to follow?
Checking out.

Top Bottom