• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Living Room LCR upgrade - KEF R vs JBL HDI

WhiteCoatGeek

I am cross-posting this from AVS Forum to get a different perspective. I am thinking of upgrading speakers in my living room this summer. I currently have KEF Q900 as L/R and Paradigm Millenia 20 as CC mounted on wall.

Room is a large living room and an acoustical nightmare with hard floors, large glass windows and is open on 2 sides. Listening position is 15-16 feet and main usage is 95% TV/Movies. Dialogue clarity from CC is my top priority. Since they are in living room, aesthetics are important. I am going to start with front 3 and than upgrade the surrounds eventually.

I thought about SVS - Ultra or Prime Pinnacle. I think they offer great value and in home trial is the real pro. Also, these may be all that I need in my situation and for my needs. On the other hand I feel, SVS may just be a lateral move (rather than upgrade)from my current setup.

So the 2 main speakers I have on my short list are

KEF R11/R2C and JBL HDI-3800/4500

KEF R11 would be a no brainer considering the reviews and me being used to KEF Q series. KEF also offers upfiring atmos option which I can add if makes sense. But I am not sure about the CC R2C . The new R series also doesn't look as good as the old R series IMO but that is not the deal breaker.

I am wondering if JBL with its compression driver, narrow directivity and larger CC may be a better option for me.

The other comparable speaker that I can demo at a local store here is Paradigm Prestige 95 but not sure if its as good as the KEF and JBL.

I know Revel 208s are excellent speakers but somehow I just find them very dull when it comes to aesthetics...lol.

Since there is no way for me to demo them at a local store, the only way would be to buy them at MSRP from Crutchfield/BB and return the one I don't like by paying shipping/restocking fees.

Any thoughts?

20200525_160634.jpg

Kustomize

I am cross-posting this from AVS Forum to get a different perspective. I am thinking of upgrading speakers in my living room this summer. I currently have KEF Q900 as L/R and Paradigm Millenia 20 as CC mounted on wall.

Room is a large living room and an acoustical nightmare with hard floors, large glass windows and is open on 2 sides. Listening position is 15-16 feet and main usage is 95% TV/Movies. Dialogue clarity from CC is my top priority. Since they are in living room, aesthetics are important. I am going to start with front 3 and than upgrade the surrounds eventually.

I thought about SVS - Ultra or Prime Pinnacle. I think they offer great value and in home trial is the real pro. Also, these may be all that I need in my situation and for my needs. On the other hand I feel, SVS may just be a lateral move (rather than upgrade)from my current setup.

So the 2 main speakers I have on my short list are

KEF R11/R2C and JBL HDI-3800/4500

KEF R11 would be a no brainer considering the reviews and me being used to KEF Q series. KEF also offers upfiring atmos option which I can add if makes sense. But I am not sure about the CC R2C . The new R series also doesn't look as good as the old R series IMO but that is not the deal breaker.

I am wondering if JBL with its compression driver, narrow directivity and larger CC may be a better option for me.

The other comparable speaker that I can demo at a local store here is Paradigm Prestige 95 but not sure if its as good as the KEF and JBL.

I know Revel 208s are excellent speakers but somehow I just find them very dull when it comes to aesthetics...lol.

Since there is no way for me to demo them at a local store, the only way would be to buy them at MSRP from Crutchfield/BB and return the one I don't like by paying shipping/restocking fees.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 66710

Now ofcourse, this is just what I THINK.

You won't get much of an improvement with your setup upgraded than you would with your speakers placement made better, and room getting acoustically fixed.

Spend some of that upgrade money on acoustics instead! Now if I were you, as I am single, I'd completely relocate everything. Probably use the left wall or the right, whichever is available for the speakers, and then go from there!

OP
W

WhiteCoatGeek

Now ofcourse, this is just what I THINK.

You won't get much of an improvement with your setup upgraded than you would with your speakers placement made better, and room getting acoustically fixed.

Spend some of that upgrade money on acoustics instead! Now if I were you, as I am single, I'd completely relocate everything. Probably use the left wall or the right, whichever is available for the speakers, and then go from there!

Unfortunately not much can be done when it comes to relocation or changing the room. Thanks!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would you be looking at JBLs if you want KEFs? They are so very different and usually the JBL goes louder and thumps more than a KEF. Do you need more power output, bass and thump?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I can't help you much in the choices except to say I just got my new system up this week consisting of 4x JBL HDI-3600s and the HDI-4500 center. I am extremely pleased with them and find the inner detail and dynamics awesome here. Which would please you the most you would have to compare yourself.
Let me say that Crutchfield's current return policy is extremely liberal. I initially ordered a pair of HDI-1600s from them to evaluate and then returned them at no cost to me. They waived the $10 each return fee, with no restocking costs, and they paid the return shipping. They did this without knowing I was later to purchase the 3600s. You might want to give them a call and see what you can arrange.

Top Bottom