• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Listening to music in multichannel mode

Cote Dazur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have to confess that I really like listening to music in multichannel mode better than in stereo
And why not?
In my sound surround/home theatre system, I often listen to music in multi channel mode, the stereo in that system is not optimum, so both ways are compromised. My home theatre is very good at playing a decent experience for more than one listener, it is optimized to play/decode multichannel movie soundtrack.
When I want to listen to music, as in just listening to music, not background music when really doing something else, if listening to a stereo recording, which is 99% of the music I listen to, I do it on my stereo system, in my dedicated music system, from my unique listening seat. A properly set stereo system, will let you hear all of the music and present a very convincing sound stage, if it was recorded properly to start with.
So for me listening to music that was recorded and produced to be listened to in stereo using digital processing to re distribute it on 7.1 channels does not seem like a great idea.
In reprocessing a stereo recording to a multichannel, however sofisticated the process is, we are getting very far from the concept that digital flies are so much better because they are closer to the original master.
That said everyone should enjoy the music in their home the way they see fit, mono, stereo, multichannel.

Last edited:

Descartes

Major Contributor
Some of my favorite surround music recordings

In addition I have over 200 multichannel recordings of classical music in multichannel!

Last edited:

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Some of my favorite surround music recordings

In addition I have over 200 multichannel recordings of classical music in multichannel!

Turns out my Sony BRD player is also a SACD player. I had no idea. I just ordered the Dire Straits 5.1 SACD hybrid disc you linked to try it out. I have had the original since its initial release and have always loved it. I am sure the CD program will be heavily squished and loud compared to the original, but perhaps I will be surprised.

I am not sure my setup will be optimal for this, as my surrounds are all Polk 65-RT in-walls. They are great as noisemakers for movies. I shall see how they perform for multichannel music.

JonK99

I will admit I have a bootleg digital copy of the Avalon SACD because I'm too cheap to pay market rate for the out of print disc. It's not like Brian Ferry is getting any of that money anyway and I already own a copy of the stereo CD. That seems like a prime candidate for an Atmos remix for distribution on Apple. At least then there would be a few pennies flowing back to the artists.

fubarnow

I have to confess that I really like listening to music in multichannel mode better than in stereo. I use a Denon x3700h with audyssey32xt, and I like the multichannel sound of music in my 5.2 set up more than Stereo, Direct, or Pure Direct. It's like being in a sonic envelope, very layered and enveloping. I've taken the surround volume levels down from the recommended surround levels that Audessey came up with (was too high, they have to be low enough so that the Front speakers are the stars of the show).

Anyone else like listening to music in Multichannel mode?
Yes, I do all my music play back in multichannel.
I do not use sub woofers since I have Big Main Speakers.
If you're not using Quality Speakers in the center position
you're missing out on yer music.
I use a Marantz for my surround speakers and my mains.
I like big sound so I use 2 speakers for the center.
I do not have the space to use a "center channel speaker".
If I did have the space for a "center speaker" I would not
use a center channel speaker because I do not like the way they sound.
Playback in 5 channels is not "Plug & Play".
It takes work to get it correct.
I don't use room correction, I tune my system by ear.
Having a Marantz or Denon gives you better options
for playback than using Audessey.

Abe_W

The best results i've had thus far was with a prepro+Auromatic upmixer on my 5.2.4 system . More recently, i discovered the Shiit Syn upmixer and I am running it in 5.2/4.2. In 4.2 the surrounds serve primarily as "enhancers' for the mains. The Shiit Syn is incredible value at 400 dollars. Once you realize the glory of it, it is impossible to go back to any music in stereo.

Top Bottom