• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's stop calling Class D amplifiers "efficient" when they are not.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
Correction pretty much everything in audio benefits from cryogenic treatment. I would add supposedly.
I recall a bunch of people sending their Crown XLSx500 amps off for cryogenic treatment about 10 years back...

wwenze

Major Contributor
I prefer allegedly!…

Lol, don’t look now but a certain Texas peddler of speaker upgrades is now pushing cryo. Gives new meaning to brain freeze.o_O
For a moment I saw crypto

Maybe there can be new speakers that can mine bitcoin

MarnixM

But none of that changes the fact that the significant heat producing internal components I have spoken of, have no way to keep themselves and the surrounding components cool enough to allow a long and happy life in so many of the hamfisted builds out there.
Restorer, I really like to see your comment on the new AP300-S250NC in a new housing from Audiophonics.

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Restorer, I really like to see your comment on the new AP300-S250NC in a new housing from Audiophonics.

That looks very tidy with some decent ventialtion.

But it's all on one board, so if the PSU self destructs (as in burns) you have to replace the amp board too?

It reminds me of those all in one computers, with the PC motherboard integrated into the monitor. Monitor fails, PC junk. PC fails, monitor junk.

You know it makes sense!

Redwine

Looks interesting but no info about its current capacity?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
But the high-power oscillators for air and space kW transmitter LO's were often class C to save power
Well, there you go. The oscillators I work with are usually fairly tiny and very low phase noise.

JoetheLion

Forum Donor
My Buckeye NC252MP idles at a whole 15W.

I cut the power to it completely overnight.

I own a NAD M10. BluOS Support has written:

"Just a reminder BluOS Players are not designed to be turned on and off repeatedly - our recommendation is to leave these smart devices always on and always ready. They are designed to enter a power save mode after 15 minutes of idle consuming less than 3W as required by EU law. (...) Repeatedly powering the devices on and off will age your PSU as well."

Right or wrong?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

"Just a reminder BluOS Players are not designed to be turned on and off repeatedly - our recommendation is to leave these smart devices always on and always ready. They are designed to enter a power save mode after 15 minutes of idle consuming less than 3W as required by EU law. (...) Repeatedly powering the devices on and off will age your PSU as well."

Right or wrong?
Since they wrote it it's probably right. But that's also probably because they saved too much money on their PSU and it's probably shit.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor

Re their warning about no DC from sources - would normal-type sources (CD, DAC, streamer) typically present any DC to the amp?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

Right or wrong?
I’m pretty sure the power save mode will power down the amps and main PSU. The 3W is only for a small backup power supply to keep some of the electronics running so it can wake up from wifi or remote control.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Right or wrong?

If the design can't accommodate turning off the power switch when not in use without damaging the unit it is poorly designed and not worth purchasing. I have computers that have lasted over 20 years as a result of leaving them off when not in use. Unplugged is even better. No need to pay for power when the device is not in use and unplugged protects from any unexpected electrical surges be it local lightning or other.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Isn't this one of those ASR threads where everyone is citing the potential pros and cons - heat stress, switch wear, power consumption, PSU wear, and so on - but no one knows how much or how little such pros and cons will actually impact the longevity of any given unit, and so the discussion will just go around and around?

Old Listener

John appears to be casting himself in the role of Jason and the dragons' teeth - he throws out the comment, then stands back to watch...

Jason​

Similarly, Jason was challenged by King Aeëtes of Colchis to sow dragon's teeth from Athena in order to obtain the Golden Fleece. Medea, Aeëtes' daughter, advised Jason to throw a stone between the warriors that sprang from the earth. The warriors started fighting and killing each other, leaving no survivor but Jason.

(wikipedia)
Who's being fleeced?

DonR

Major Contributor
Isn't this one of those ASR threads where everyone is citing the potential pros and cons - heat stress, switch wear, power consumption, PSU wear, and so on - but no one knows how much or how little such pros and cons will actually impact the longevity of any given unit, and so the discussion will just go around and around?
Possibly. In the case of the NAD M10 we can discount heat stress as the sub-3W stand-by will not add significant heat to the unit so it will suffer the same heat stress as if it were completely turned off. If well designed, modern electronics should auto power down anyhow and be designed for sufficient longevity. But let's be real, nobody will hang on to any internet-connected, software-filled device as long as a receiver from the 70's. From what I have seen, the biggest problem is in design rather than in component quality in modern gear.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Right or wrong?

Either the support person is talking out of their ass or the inmates are running the asylum over at NAD...

Top Bottom