• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir runs the review by the manufacturers if they sent in the product . But if you and I sent in something we have he does not .
Like for example a pair of ten year old speakers ?

Any normal mfg would just have said ok that was then we make this new stuff now ( com and look via the link I provided).

Multicore

Major Contributor
I want to stop reading these but I can't. It is like a slow motion train wreck with a sewage truck then crashing into that wreckage and just when you think it is over you see a dumpster that is on fire rolling down a hill towards it.
That's the same pull that makes good reality TV so enthralling.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And neither am I afraid of being old, but I am fed up with being dismissed as irrelevant simply because I'm old.
I'm 38 and I think the ageism point is fair.

He is definitely failing the PR battle here. I don't think those videos help in any way, shape or form. Isn't there anyone who can advise him to just stop already?
It's possible there are no marketing people that work at Tekton. If there are, they are probably losing their minds right now. If I worked there I would be trying to find a way to get Eric fired by the board, or something. Obviously he won't listen to reason in this matter.

At this point if he sued both Erin and Amir for all they're worth, and WON, you have to wonder if that would make up for the damage he's done, personally, to the brand and future sales.

As a marketing person, in my experience CEOs (especially founder-CEOs) can get emotional and run off on their own without expert guidance in communicating with the public. As their employee, there's nothing you can really do to stop them, ESPECIALLY when they're letting their emotions make bad decisions for the brand.

At one point he mentions his team supports him in this. Do you really think they would feel safe saying otherwise? This is a guy who threatens to sue honest people over tiny, SUPPOSED discrepancies in measurements of his products. What do you think he does with his employees that disagree with or criticize him?

So even if he does have marketing staff, they probably can't do anything except nod along and update their resumes.

darrellc

Forum Donor
This is unhinged behavior. How are you going to attack a reviewer and threaten litigation over “Incorrect measurements” while simultaneously claiming you are under no obligation to release measurements of your own? This dude is overdue for a reality check. This is incredibly sad to see.View attachment 363003
Interesting comment from Tekton, thx for posting. Seems consumers could be at risk in addition to reviewers. So if I buy a Tekton speaker over the internet based on the "facts" in their description of the design intent of the speaker, then decide to sell it because it doesn't meet my expectations from my interpretation of Tekton's "facts" and I happen to mention that fact in a public forum, will I "hear about it" from Tekton?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anybody have a "Cliff Notes" version of this long thread? I just returned from the eclipse and I'm way way behind. :cool:
lol, good one!

Salt

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The discussion is running into a 'split brain' situation, as comments are posted here and here .
Perhaps a focus on one could help keeping up with news?

Jim Taylor

Forum Donor
So if I buy a Tekton speaker over the internet based on the "facts" in their description of the design intent of the speaker, then decide to sell it because it doesn't meet my expectations from my interpretation of Tekton's "facts" ...

If you would lose an undue amount of money on the re-sale, could you "litigate" Tekton for the loss? Just asking for a friend. :D :D :D

Jim

lordhumungous

As a marketing person, in my experience CEOs (especially founder-CEOs) can get emotional and run off on their own without expert guidance in communicating with the public. As their employee, there's nothing you can really do to stop them, ESPECIALLY when they're letting their emotions make bad decisions for the brand.
This is so true. I have done it to the detriment of my company and learned a costly lesson.

lordhumungous

So, few positives here.

Watching Eric Alexander (Tekton's) video, he mentions that (though he'd prefer not to) he's going to publish measurements for Tekton's speakers henceforth. It's at 13:08 of the video.

This was actually suggested by me in a post earlier today. Little did I know that when I made the post that he already had a video up stating that he was going to do that.

He also says he'll be happy to "fact-check" reviews in the future before publication if you sent him your measurements at 10:56 of the video. We'll see how this plays out in reality but as has previously been discussed here and elsewhere this is how reviews have always kind of worked. As I mentioned previously I reviewed some Micca speakers and this sort of manufacture review process helped me spot a stupid error I'd made. Literally everybody (me, Micca, the tiny handful of people who read my review) benefitted.

It feels like he's maybe backtracking a little and possibly even weaseling around what most people would think of as the definition of "litigation." But if (if! IF!) his future actions match up with his statements in this video then... sounds good to me.

To be clear I'm not defending this guy. He's got work to do to earn back trust. Also I did not care for the Tektons I heard at an audio show in 2019. I'm just saying, I found the video encouraging. Now we'll see if he keeps his word.
I had a pair of Tektons. Absolutely despised them but bought them on the hype .Sold them recently before this blowup.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a pair of Tektons. Absolutely despised them but bought them on the hype .Sold them recently before this blowup.
If you had held on to it to sell now, you would likely suffer from a very significant lost. Something similar happened to me.

I brought a DAC, where the manufacturer's published specs are very good. Then ASR reviewed one of this manufacturer's higher end model with similar published specs and the AP measurement was like 10x worse than what was published. So I can fairly safely assumed that the manufacturer essentially lied about its published specs for all of their products. I quickly try to sell it, but alas, it was too late, no one is buying products from this manufacturer on the used market. It took me over 5 months and dropping the price to almost 1/3 of what I paid for in order to sell it.

So lesson learned for me.

rynberg

Forum Donor
It’s been my experience most engineers are terrible at the empathetic skills needed for good public relations. The public can seldom absorb the fact an engineer is trained to question beliefs and opinions. Beliefs and opinions are inherently very valuable to the general public as that makes up the world they live in. The act of questioning their beliefs alone will trigger irrational emotions and engineers simply can’t handle such subjectivity…

Perception problems are better handled by professionals…:)
Maybe it's because I'm in the engineering consulting world, but in my 25 years of experience, your gross generalization about engineers is wildly wrong.

It’s mind boggling how a person can’t see that they are the source of every single poor outcome. No one else. Them.

He has caused every single thing that has gone wrong here. Every. Single. Thing.

But somehow, bafflingly so, the man still doesn’t see it, can’t see it, won’t see it.

It wasn’t even a bad review… and he could have come out a champ by submitting the stupid feet and asking for another shot.

And at any point - ANY POINT - he could have fixed everything else with a one-word solution: contrition. Again, comes out a champ.

But like I said early on, some people just can’t get out of their own way, no matter how detrimental that way is to their lives.

Boggles the mind, but whatevs. There’s plenty of other players. I’m about to visit 600+ (minus 1) over the next three days.

That ship has sailed.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Here is a big question: has his intimidation worked? I can see every reviewer that reads what is going on here think twice about writing anything negative about a product. I will continue of course as I have but others? I can see fingers shaking as they write anything remotely not complimentary. And not just about Tekton speakers. But everything.

If this is true, we have a major setback here that we need to repair.

dr.diesel

I can see every reviewer that reads what is going on here think twice about writing anything negative about a product.

Which is exactly why as a community we need to keep raising this concern, post on social media and other audio related forums. Erin can't do it alone and eventually Eric will fail, less likely to do it again. We are much stronger than he is and we will support Erin if it comes to it.

Thomas Lutro

Forum Donor
Here is a big question: has his intimidation worked? I can see every reviewer that reads what is going on here think twice about writing anything negative about a product. I will continue of course as I have but others? I can see fingers shaking as they write anything remotely not complimentary. And not just about Tekton speakers. But everything.

If this is true, we have a major setback here that we need to repair.
Imortant point. Maybe in the long term the important point. And sure it looks like victory in this battle, but that may prove insufficient in the end. Enough of a problem with witheld test objects and ad revenue, but risk of litigation on top of that? We know reviewing is in a bad place in the mainstream. How can we make it better?

Top Bottom