• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would also chip in. But isn't this a totally clear-cut case anyway? Erin would just have to explain that his measurements are objective and neutral and that everyone has the right to read/publish such things as long as they are not accompanied by subjective defamatory opinions. I've never seen a review from Erin, but I can't imagine he's "evil".

If the facts are clear, he can draft a letter with GPT4 and he probably doesn't even need a lawyer for this minor matter. At most to approve the letter from GPT4. If the company is so sure that the result came out of pure evil manipulation on the side of Erin they could just provide their own measurements, which they never will :).

If the case is really as clear-cut as some people say here, I think it would be overkill to set up a money bucket
I would almost consider that a panic reaction.

testp

@KenA above mentioned very well, that don't panic & react at first letters, this is good advice ( i got that from the law course as well)

if you have to act, then while we are all 'good people' here :) , my advice is still search first counsel from your area yourself, that's how i would begin, counsel does not cost much and will be totally worth it. After first counsel, all help is welcome from others.

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
All we need to end this nonsense is for another independent reviewer to conduct a separate review of these speakers. If the results are the same then that would essentially be the end of this story. The results Erin arrived should be easily reproduced thus proving that the test results are consistent and factual. This sounds much cheaper than hiring and paying Lawyers. JMHO.

At the end of the day, who cares? Sit back and watch the show I say.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All we need to end this nonsense is for another independent reviewer to conduct a separate review of these speakers. If the results are the same then that would essentially be the end of this story. The results Erin arrived should be easily reproduced thus proving that the test results are consistent and factual. This sounds much cheaper than hiring and paying Lawyers. JMHO. ;)
Agree-have Erin send the aformentioned speaker (with feet?) to @amirm . The measurements will most likely be similar if not identical and let Tekton sue @amirm . :p

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to wonder how deep Tekton's pockets are...do they sell the #'s of speakers necessary to hire a law firm to sue a reviewer?

Esprit

Forum Donor
Here in Spain, it's mandatory to attempt a conciliation act before proceeding to court
Also in Italy for legal cases whose value does not exceed 50 thousand euros.

Reactions: JRG

Multicore

Major Contributor
A sad state of affairs. I've recent experience with having to lawyer up to respond to a threatening letter. It sucks. I found it very stressful and it was very expensive. I hope Erin receives lots of moral support and isn't financially damaged by it.

If Tekton's speakers only operate to spec when the user seals holes in the cabinet then, given that this is highly unconventional, I think the onus is on Tekton to advertise this unconventional feature and, at the very least, clearly tell users about the requirement to seal the holes in the cabinet before use. Without that, how is Erin's product review inaccurate or misleading (i.e. legally false, as required for a defamation claim)?

Last edited:

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Erin could easily turn it all around for his own benefit, including lawsuit. Drama, taking sides, exposing some clowns, it all sells very well on youtube and he could make multiple videos documenting the whole case, this could be his breakthrough but I don't think he wants it this way (I would definitely watch it though...I am a fan of Coffeezilla, Karl Jobst and the like)

Somafunk

Major Contributor
As I live in Scotland I could ask Erin to send me his review and I’ll place my name at the top of the paper and publish it, the courts over here would tell Tekton to “”go do one, chancer”.

Going by other reviews of his speakers and how defensive he appears the owner of the company seems like a grade “A” douchebag.

KenA

All we need to end this nonsense is for another independent reviewer to conduct a separate review of these speakers. If the results are the same then that would essentially be the end of this story. The results Erin arrived should be easily reproduced thus proving that the test results are consistent and factual. This sounds much cheaper than hiring and paying Lawyers. JMHO. ;)
Would the separate review be a test with feet in or feet out? It would probably have to be with feet out to replicate Erins results, then you could just end up in the same boat as Erin, especially since you knew the test should be done feet in.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also in Italy for legal cases whose value does not exceed 50 thousand euros.
There is no such requirement in the US although in some cases a Judge will order the parties to negotiate. Also, some litigants enter into mediation voluntarily because there is a long backlog in civil courts.

Shorty

As I live in Scotland I could ask Erin to send me his review and I’ll place my name at the top of the paper and publish it, the courts over here would tell Tekton to “”go do one, chancer”.
I don’t think this is a good idea. Erin might be accused of malicious intentions by Kleptom - or whatever its name is.

poxymoron

The irony hear being that if one of us, or Erin, thrashed Tekton speakers in a subjective YouTube review, there'd be no litigation.
Full disclosure, I never got to view the review before it was taken down.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Anything I say will be very, very negative about Tekton. So, I will take the high road and not say anything. But if I did say something, it would fit in the "Snake Oil" thread more than here.:facepalm:

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Anyone else watching this thread like me?
1712412879886.gif

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to wait and see, but I will commit to kick in if necessary.

Hiten

Should the speaker which was reviewed kept in safe custody ? one would never know if need arises for remeasurements. I hope this gets resolved amicably or without any litigation.
Regards.

Multicore

Major Contributor
Hey folks, I am a bit late on this.

Let me say this upfront: what is happening here is absolutely, completely unacceptable.

Seriously, what is this ? Did manufacturers start to feel so untouchable, after they received nothing but praising "reviews" for decades ? Is that the future drown for the Audio "press" and reviewers by now ? To be condamned to remain gentle about anything forever... or be threatened by a mafia ? Nope. We cannot accept this. We just can't.

If this Tekton guy (which by the way is making ugliest speakers on Earth + with the most ridiculous name ever gave to an Audio product. Oups, sorry ! That was subjective...) is not confortable with Erin's data and measurements : He has to produce his own, then come back with something solid for a fair comparaison. If he just want to shut him down only for his subjective feedback and thoughts, then I feel like that would be even worse. Where the fuck is our freedom of speech in that ? Seriously, what is going on in this industry ?

I have modest means but I would be happy to contribute.

@amirm what you are doing here is extremely important. What we are doing here is important. No one here should tolerate such a situation. If we let this happen, then this is the death of so many things that are the essence of this very place : objectivism, integrity, ethics, rigour.
I don't think it's helpful to hyperventilate over this.

Freedom of speech is limited in the USA by defamation laws and I'd guess something like that holds where you are too. If I publish statements about you that are false and that injure you then you can seek redress in a court. Hence a reviewer's bad review of a product is potentially defamatory if it is false. So this case isn't about defending freedom of speech, it's about whether or not Erin injured Tekton by publishing a false review. I commented on the falsehood aspect above but since all I know is what I've read this thread I could be way off base.

Second, manufacturers and the industry in general didn't elect Tekton to represent them so let's not drag them into this. They aren't a mafia. Tekton and Erin are, iiuc, two business ventures, one making audio products and the other making reviews of audio products. There's a dispute over a review that, afaict, could be more easily settled to everyone's satisfaction without litigation. Probably it still can.

Top Bottom