• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legal fund for Reviewers/Erin?

JRG

Where I live (Canada.) to sue somebody one needs to go to a informal hearing with a judge and explain the details to the judge. Then that judge decides right there if the litigation has merit. A lawyer may appear for both parties for that meeting but is not required. Nor is a lawyer required for the actual court proceedings because the judge will advise/act as council for the two parties if they need council. Any idea how it works stateside?
Here in Spain, it's mandatory to attempt a conciliation act before proceeding to court. This requirement aims to encourage the amicable resolution of disputes and prevent court congestion. The conciliation is conducted before the Judicial Secretary or the Lawyer of the Administration of Justice and is a prerequisite for filing a lawsuit in specific civil disputes, such as claims for amounts, rights to honor, privacy, and one's own image, among others. However, this requirement does not universally apply to all civil matters. There are exceptions like divorces, where specific procedures are applied. I don’t know how it’s in the USA.

thunderchicken

That would be ideal. I am happy to donate a high-end DAC to that attorney as a thank you note. :)
I already have a D70- what I'd really want in a trade is an American-spec Accuphase power amp from the last 15 years or so. I can't do costs out of pocket either.

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Erin absolutely deserves the financial support if needed, but is the company actually suing him? So far I have seen the Tekton designer/owner grumbling in youtube/ASR comments but no actual legal action.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
So we should wait till after the review before amassing a legal backup fund<?> Plus I want to see what Erin thinks about all of this legal fund stuff here before sending in moola.
I'm in for what I can when something is actually in place.
I do understand Erin's position and feelings, I went thru a bit of the same once.
Mikey Fremer posted to Computer Audiophile some years back, his and then parent corp of Stereophile's intent to
file suit against me for "besmirching his character". :facepalm:
A slightly scary situation since I'm a retired blue collar worker with no real money to hire a legal defense, etc.
The outcome there was that a bunch of the members jumped on him with posts along the line of "oooooh, big man, going to sue Sal" and more along those lines. In the end he/they backed down out of embarrassment and shortly after Chris, the site
owner, deleted all related posts.
I've got a feeling that the same can happen with Tekton-Erin.
Tekton doesn't want to come out of this with egg on there faces and with enough support from the audiophile community over free speech and the first amendment I think this could all quietly go away. We just need to decide on a place to make some noise?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Erin absolutely deserves the financial support if needed, but is the company actually suing him?
Pretty sure it is not that far. Problem is, just the threat of it may force Erin to keep the review hidden and with it, set a terrible (continued) precedence this way. We need to stand up to this. Reviewers can make mistakes. The right next step is for manufacturer to show their data. Threatening a suit to take down the review wholesale is not right.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty sure it is not that far. Problem is, just the threat of it may force Erin to keep the review hidden and with it, set a terrible (continued) precedence this way. We need to stand up to this. Reviewers can make mistakes. The right next step is for manufacturer to show their data. Threatening a suit to take down the review wholesale is not right.
I agree wholeheartedly. It is a matter of principle.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Tekton thinks the threat of lawsuit is the right course of action.

The problem is that the community (on Erin’s facebook, YouTube channel and Patreon) and even here on ASR, supports Erin.

Which means that Tekton is doing reputation damage to themselves at this point.

It’s likely that many people will never buy any Tekton products as a result of this development.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

The problem is that the community (on Erin’s facebook, YouTube channel and Patreon) and even here on ASR, supports Erin.

It’s likely that many people will never buy any Tekton products as a result of this development.
I would not have purchased gear based on that configuration of the top (Tweeters.) end anyway. It looks like a imaging nightmare in my opinion. But that's neither here nor there... LoL. What happens if a tweeter blows do they all blow? So many questions... gg* :facepalm:

Forum Donor
I appreciate the way Fosi has taken on constructive criticism and feedback and used it to improve their products. Maybe it's not too bold to suggest that Tekton adopt a similar approach with its customers.

thunderchicken

I need to point out that I don't represent anyone involved, nor am I offering anyone specific advice. I will say that the truth is as close to an absolute defense to libel as you can get. It would be an uphill battle for the supposedly injured party to prove damages against Erin that stem from statements that were in willful or even reckless disregard for the truth. The measurements don't lie, and so long as Erin didn't stray too far from his normal tests and commentary, it shouldn't be an issue.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I appreciate the way Fosi has taken on constructive criticism and feedback and used it to improve their products. Maybe it's not too bold to suggest that Tekton adopt a similar approach with its customers.
The man has an apparent history of taking down his product web pages because of a disliked review. I have seen multiple instances in the recent 5 years of this activity according to web search results. I don't expect change to occur.

Beave

Major Contributor
I need to point out that I don't represent anyone involved, nor am I offering anyone specific advice. I will say that the truth is as close to an absolute defense to libel as you can get. It would be an uphill battle for the supposedly injured party to prove damages against Erin that stem from statements that were in willful or even reckless disregard for the truth. The measurements don't lie, and so long as Erin didn't stray too far from his normal tests and commentary, it shouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, I don't think there's much concern at all that Erin or Amir would actually lose a lawsuit here. The concern is simply that Erin would have to foot a large bill defending himself against one and/or that the mere threat of one would lead to him no longer giving any negative reviews.

Feargal

It's far from ideal but I don't consider it the ultimate sign of weakness to comply and take down a review. If it's replaced with an explanatory video/article outlining the reason why the review was taken down, the signal sent to the viewer regarding the product is arguably even stronger.
Legal funds tend to have to be large, which is an issue, along with the faff of preparing for a case.

fredoamigo

Forum Donor
I knew that American society (usa) loves lawsuits and all kinds of legal action for anything and everything. But here it's Ubuesque, burlesque, grotesque, ridiculous, because the plaintiff is shooting himself in the foot and even if he were to win this lawsuit this action will permanently tarnish his reputation.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I think the reputation damage is irreversible and done by now . It’s one bridge to far .
It can’t be taken back forgiven or forgotten, this company or any associated person don’t deserve any business or customers ever again.

The reasonable and sane thing to do is to work with the reviewer to fix the measurement errors .

This points to a deep seated and unfixable personality problem in the company owners they are simply ***holes . And should not be a part of reasonable society it’s this kind of people that makes the world suck .

Top Bottom