• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KS-Audio CPD 14 and CPD 18 - I am impressed

test1223

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hello,

the KS-Audio / KS-Digital speaker are very interesting especially the CPD 14 and CPD 18. They are perfect for longer listening distances and high spl and provide studio monitor quality.
You get 2 x 10"+ 4 x 5"+ 1 3/4" with the CPD 14 or 4 x 10"+ 8 x 5"+ 1 x 3/4" with the CPD 18 and power full digital aktive amps with dsp control and everything. The speakers are very well engineered and you can adjust the directivity with a motor controlled horn / wave guide. The CPD 18 where tested by Anselm Goertz here (german) and the measurements are very good. I am quite impressed but haven't listend to them. The price is very cheap with about 4000$ (CPD 14) and 8000$ (CPD 18) for everything you get.

The speaker of KS-audio and KS-digital are worth to have a look at and where not mentioned here a lot, so it might be of interesst for you.

Best
Thomas

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree nice problemsolver loudspeakers for larger listening distances and a surprisingly fair price and also seem to measure better than any other KS/BM loudspeakers I have seen in the past, if I wanted to nitpick it would be just the horizontal directivity which widens again after the mids.

1614702786685.png

OP
T

test1223

I agree nice problemsolver loudspeakers for larger listening distances and a surprisingly fair price and also seem to measure better than any other KS/BM loudspeakers I have seen in the past, if I wanted to nitpick it would be just the horizontal directivity which widens again after the mids.

View attachment 115842
Yes they are really cheap. I assume the PA market target lowers the price significantly. I think the wider directivity in the higher frequencies is intentional and a good thing since the room dampens these frequencies a lot and with this higher directivity the timbre of the later reflections can easily loose the "sparkle".

Good PA speakers are worth to have a look at there a some gems out there which are also good at home.

I am interested in good very small linearray speaker at the moment but hadn't the chance to get a listening impression of what the current PA market has to offer...

OP
T

test1223

I saw it too, quite impressive if you ignore the strong IMD.
Why do you assume higher IMD?
The IMD in this test are at very high spl of about lpk of 134dB at 1m. So you can't compare it to lower spl measurements.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Hello,

the KS-Audio / KS-Digital speaker are very interesting especially the CPD 14 and CPD 18. They are perfect for longer listening distances and high spl and provide studio monitor quality.
You get 2 x 10"+ 4 x 5"+ 1 3/4" with the CPD 14 or 4 x 10"+ 8 x 5"+ 1 x 3/4" with the CPD 18 and power full digital aktive amps with dsp control and everything. The speakers are very well engineered and you can adjust the directivity with a motor controlled horn / wave guide. The CPD 18 where tested by Anselm Goertz here (german) and the measurements are very good. I am quite impressed but haven't listend to them. The price is very cheap with about 4000$ (CPD 14) and 8000$ (CPD 18) for everything you get.

The speaker of KS-audio and KS-digital are worth to have a look at and where not mentioned here a lot, so it might be of interesst for you.

Best
Thomas

I thought these were stand mount speakers, but seems to be more for installation applications in large venues. Variable radiation controlled internally with motors is just amazing. o_O

OP
T

test1223

Yes but most of the time HD will linear decrease with lower volume so @ 110 dB it might be very low.

FrankS Audio

The suggestion that the KS AUDIO CPD 18 would sound better than for example the Backes & Müller BM Line 35 is of course not true (I have compared it) but it is amazing how good the CPD 18 sounds.
This active loudspeaker can, without a doubt, be used as a master monitor in a studio or for home audio and at a very pleasant price in this class.
Below is the link to the translation of the test in production partner.

Attachments

• 20220122_235140.jpg
    20220122_235140.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 131
Top Bottom