• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

2024 Total Solar Eclipse

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Zgrado1970

I traveled to southern Illinois near Carbondale, and got a full 4 + minutes of totality. It was very strange - the temperature cooled noticeably, the birds and dogs were freaking out, and it became dusk almost instantly for those 4 minutes. I confess that after about 3 minutes, I felt a twinge of anxiety about the sun coming back, and tried to put myself in the shoes of a pre-modern person.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I traveled to southern Illinois near Carbondale, and got a full 4 + minutes of totality. It was very strange - the temperature cooled noticeably, the birds and dogs were freaking out, and it became dusk almost instantly for those 4 minutes. I confess that after about 3 minutes, I felt a twinge of anxiety about the sun coming back, and tried to put myself in the shoes of a pre-modern person.

I have a friend who's only seen 90% totality and had the "so what, totally predictable natural phenomenon, happens every year, why bother?" attitude toward this one. I told him that the only reason he could have that attitude is that a few of the ancients didn't simply get scared utterly sh*tless and tried to figure out what was really going on, and in the end were amazingly successful in their calculations, given their tools. It's the experience of totality that's important, not merely that it happens. It's just like saying "I've seen pictures of the Eiffel Tower, the Mona Lisa, YouTubes of much of Paris, and there's a great French restaurant here in town. Why should I bother actually going there?"

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Solar radiation graph, Indianapolis. Bottomed out at 1.3 W/m^2, which is typical for 1 minute after sunrise, but less than 2-3 minutes after sunrise on a clear day.

For reference, eclipse started at 1:59PM, totality at 3:06. Those dips from an intermittent heavy cloud layer just after noon and before 1 PM had us worried.

eclipse rad tjwx.JPG

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It's the end of the world.
Someone is guilty of angering the Gods
Run for your life. :facepalm:
:p

OP
IAtaman

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I looked at the partial eclipse here, and the sun certainly looked small through the dark flat "lens", seemingly much smaller than the moon appears in the night sky on its own.

Found a good enough reason to live to be 92+ though, a future total eclipse will run through my nieghborhood in 2045.

1200 miles one-way was a bit far to travel for a 4 minute show.

View attachment 362376

Next Total Solar Eclipse​

Not visible before the year 2200

I gotta find a way to to live beyond 200. Or go to Spain in two years.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
I looked at the partial eclipse here, and the sun certainly looked small through the dark flat "lens", seemingly much smaller than the moon appears in the night sky on its own.

The sun and moon are roughly the same diameter, visually speaking, from Earth.

I was into astronomy for a few years until my cataracts got bad, and then the replacement surgery didn't go so well. But when I asked the other members about buying a solar filter for my 8" reflector and which eyepiece to use, they told me that the sun would appear virtually the same diameter as the moon in any given eyepiece.

The perceived large diameter of either near the horizon is an illusion based on the proximity to other objects. So when you see only the sun through eclipse glasses, there is indeed nothing else visible near it--hence it looks quite small, but that's the actual diameter!

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A couple of mine, still a work in progress. I'm thinking of one of the usual variations on one of the usual arrangements of various phases of the event with these two plus two or three others. These aren't much different from others, except that they’re mine. :)
IMGP4560totalityflares_web.jpg

IMGP4567postdiamondringA_web.jpg

Camera was a Pentax 645Z, Pentax 400mm ED telephoto and Pentax SMC-A 1.4 teleconverter. The outer corona was obscured by high, thin clouds. Attempting to raise the exposure to see the outer corona, just washed everything out. But exposing only for the inner corona also revealed the prominences, which was a pretty good tradeoff.

For exposing the full sun, I used a 20-stop neutral-density filter on the front of the lens, but the diamond ring shot above was right before I put it back on after totality.

Rick "no photo can do it justice" Denney

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Camera was a Pentax 645Z, Pentax 400mm ED telephoto and Pentax SMC-A 1.4 teleconverter. The outer corona was obscured by high, thin clouds. Attempting to raise the expose to see the outer corona, just washed everything out. But exposing only for the inner corona also revealed the prominences, which was a pretty good tradeoff.
I think you did good.

The trick is stacking multiple exposures to reveal everything. But beware. My Photoshop eclipse file is 1.2 gigs and crashes my system if I have too many other programs open at the same time. Memory use is an exponent of the file size once open and unpacked. I've seen it using 16 gigs.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Top Bottom