• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Klipsch Heresy IV Speaker Review

Lorenzo74

Since I still have this speaker at my house I decided to put it on the NFS to see how my results from my non-NFS measurements compared. To my naked eye they are quite close.

That said, do you guys want me to post the NFS results here or start a new thread? It might get lost in this thread but whatever. FWIW, I am considering doing a "Klipsch Heresy IV … Revisted" video to address the questions/concerns people had about my initial review.
new thread, new thread, new thread, new thread, new thread,...
did we reach the threshold...? even if I'm not specifically interested into this speaker (I'm a kii three, D&D fan) I'm interested into the potential difference between the full stack (NFS) vs your previous objective measurement setup (close to what we can achieve at home).

your work is really appreciated here.
it's like a NASA scientist (they must be the best..;)) looks at signal from the space and propose us a plausible theory: ok/ not ok / why ....
all the best
Lorenzo

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since I still have this speaker at my house I decided to put it on the NFS to see how my results from my non-NFS measurements compared. To my naked eye they are quite close.

That said, do you guys want me to post the NFS results here or start a new thread? It might get lost in this thread but whatever. FWIW, I am considering doing a "Klipsch Heresy IV … Revisted" video to address the questions/concerns people had about my initial review.
Did the guy you lent it to you not want to return them (or did he buy it used)?

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Thread Starter #264
I'm interested into the potential difference between the full stack (NFS) vs your previous objective measurement setup (close to what we can achieve at home).
Here is a sneak peak. The NFS is in black. The teal is my original measurement. Not a bad job on my part. Especially when you consider the resolution of the NFS measurements is higher and explains a lot of the variations in magnitude/width the peaks/dips. :)

1617895399216.png

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

In top comments, Andrew Robinson continues to spread his misconceptions about Audio...
Screenshot_20210419-080429.png

Yes, this common audiophile confusion between the emotional stuff (Music creation) and the technical side (Music reproduction, which is science), again and again...:rolleyes:

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Thread Starter #266
Meh.

People confuse technical analysis with the inability to enjoy a speaker. I can do both. But when a speaker has obvious (audible) flaws such as lower and mid vocal resonances that stand out to anyone with ears then it’s hard to enjoy anything about the speaker.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Thread Starter #269
Hopefully, most of us can!
Haha. Of course.

I just get stuff directed toward me that I'm too analytical or whatever... and I'm like "dude, the reason I DO this is because I love music". Not because I love looking at "pretty graphs".

In fact, I challenge any naysayer to an 80's music trivia contest. Odds are I'll crush them.

Last edited:

Lorenzo74

In top comments, Andrew Robinson continues to spread his misconceptions about Audio...
View attachment 124925

Yes, this common audiophile confusion between the emotional stuff (Music creation) and the technical side (Music reproduction, which is science), again and again...:rolleyes:

music is art, sound is science. (Bruno Putzeys)

@hardisj Do you have raw impedance and phase data available? I'd be interested to simulate response with various output impedances. And do you know approximately the output impedance of your testing amp? Thanks!

One thing I noticed is you are missing the footnote on sensitivity in the spec sheet: Sensitivity in average listening room. No judgment against you for not showing it in your image, but it's the reason for the large discrepancy you're seeing between measured sensitivity and SPL. I'm not arguing for or against the way they list the spec, just clarifying for those who are unaware. And their measurements seem to include room gain, either measured or estimated, I'm unsure, but that's where I assume the 48hz comes from. +/-4dB spec, it seems to ride in there.

Overall, impressive breadth of measurements. Thanks for the extensive look at these.

Top Bottom