• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Klipsch Heresy IV Speaker Review

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

In top comments, Andrew Robinson continues to spread his misconceptions about Audio...
Screenshot_20210419-080429.png

Yes, this common audiophile confusion between the emotional stuff (Music creation) and the technical side (Music reproduction, which is science), again and again...:rolleyes:

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Meh.

People confuse technical analysis with the inability to enjoy a speaker. I can do both. But when a speaker has obvious (audible) flaws such as lower and mid vocal resonances that stand out to anyone with ears then it’s hard to enjoy anything about the speaker.

contium

In top comments, Andrew Robinson continues to spread his misconceptions about Audio...
View attachment 124925

Yes, this common audiophile confusion between the emotional stuff (Music creation) and the technical side (Music reproduction, which is science), again and again...:rolleyes:

Music reproduction may be science, but listening to music is not.

OP
hardisj

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Hopefully, most of us can!

Haha. Of course.

I just get stuff directed toward me that I'm too analytical or whatever... and I'm like "dude, the reason I DO this is because I love music". Not because I love looking at "pretty graphs".

In fact, I challenge any naysayer to an 80's music trivia contest. Odds are I'll crush them.

eZx7Ok.gif

Last edited:

Lorenzo74

View attachment 124925

music is art, sound is science. (Bruno Putzeys)

dkfan9

@hardisj Do you have raw impedance and phase data available? I'd be interested to simulate response with various output impedances. And do you know approximately the output impedance of your testing amp? Thanks!

One thing I noticed is you are missing the footnote on sensitivity in the spec sheet: Sensitivity in average listening room. No judgment against you for not showing it in your image, but it's the reason for the large discrepancy you're seeing between measured sensitivity and SPL. I'm not arguing for or against the way they list the spec, just clarifying for those who are unaware. And their measurements seem to include room gain, either measured or estimated, I'm unsure, but that's where I assume the 48hz comes from. +/-4dB spec, it seems to ride in there.

Overall, impressive breadth of measurements. Thanks for the extensive look at these.

splattened

Forum Donor
Thanks for these interesting measurements. I bought a pair of Heresy III speakers after testing a small gauntlet of speakers in this room, painfully teaching myself about room acoustics, etc. They met a few specific criteria I was interested in at the time and worked out well. I wonder how they measure compared to this latest model. (Ironically I thought the lack of reflex port was part of the charm of the Heresy III, and then they went and added one. So at least I don't have to deal with the quirks introduced with that feature.)

111db

The sealed box is one of the things I like about my Heresy IIs (actually KP201s). It permits bumping the low bass with less risk of woofer overexcursion (which I only do when using them outdoors, otherwise I use a sub). I think Klipsch made a mistake in adding a port but failing to extend the low bass enough to make a sub unnecessary. But I'm not in their target demographic, being a cheapskate. :)

arthur1260

Hi there, thanks for the great review! I was ready to pull the trigger on a pair of CWIV, went to listen to them, I enjoyed the session a lot, then we decided to test the Heresy IV’s, they brought pretty much the same emotion, I found them very engaging and musical! I had tested the Forte IV’s in my own space, visceral bass, a bit too much (9’x13’ room). My current speakers are Joseph Audio Pulsar 2, and I like the sound, though it’s scale is smaller, it’s more detailed and analytical, but I really really really want to get a Decware zen 25 anniversary, which has only 2w. So basically my question is, what else could I go for?:) I’m a bit in doubt if I should go for the Heresy, though I liked the sound a LOT, even the bass was almost there with the CW, and this was in a room double the size of mine.
Edit: forgot to mention, my amp is a PrimaLuna Evo400i with nos EL34, and in the test room we also used a tube amp, one off make.

Last edited:

Nwickliff

Since tube amps alter the frequency response based on the impedance of the speakers used, hard to predict what will sound good in your setup.

If you want horns, then JTR makes some of the best stuff out there; not pretty though.
Never thought about this. Would be fun to do frequency sweeps on some Klipsch Heritage stuff with and without tubes.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Hi there, thanks for the great review! I was ready to pull the trigger on a pair of CWIV, went to listen to them, I enjoyed the session a lot, then we decided to test the Heresy IV’s, they brought pretty much the same emotion, I found them very engaging and musical! I had tested the Forte IV’s in my own space, visceral bass, a bit too much (9’x13’ room). My current speakers are Joseph Audio Pulsar 2, and I like the sound, though it’s scale is smaller, it’s more detailed and analytical, but I really really really want to get a Decware zen 25 anniversary, which has only 2w. So basically my question is, what else could I go for?:) I’m a bit in doubt if I should go for the Heresy, though I liked the sound a LOT, even the bass was almost there with the CW, and this was in a room double the size of mine.
Edit: forgot to mention, my amp is a PrimaLuna Evo400i with nos EL34, and in the test room we also used a tube amp, one off make.
Vintage Altec.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Something DIY or vintage. I love my 70s Heresy HBR, and I like my DIY horn speakers. if I want something more, I am likely to make it myself. For the price of Klipsch Heritage, you could commission a cabinet maker and still save half the cost or more.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Wayne Parham's "Pi" loudspeakers seem worthy of consideration (in terms of current options).
I have no ears-on experience, though.

111db

Something DIY or vintage. I love my 70s Heresy HBR, and I like my DIY horn speakers. if I want something more, I am likely to make it myself. For the price of Klipsch Heritage, you could commission a cabinet maker and still save half the cost or more.
Older Klipsch Heritage are affordable and can be greatly improved by active DSP multiamping. Gotta wonder how they might sound with SET-based multiamping, and whether anyone's tried that.

111db

Since you find H4s to have adequate bass, I can't help wondering what type of music you prefer. Knowing that could make it easier to make good recommendations.

Nwickliff

Since you find H4s to have adequate bass, I can't help wondering what type of music you prefer. Knowing that could make it easier to make good recommendations.
You don’t know what you’re missing until you’ve heard it. Can’t imagine Heresy’s without subs. Well I can, and have but don’t want to.

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Try out either the JTR Noesis speakers 12'' or 15'' version
1624116459518.png

Or the JBL 4722n
1624116555363.png
or the 5732
1624116586340.png

any of those listed and you will never again even consider the Klipsch

Top Bottom