• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KLH Model 5 review and measurements by Erins Audio Corner

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's funny because he looks more like an aerospace engineer trying to YouTube, rather than a YouTuber trying his hand at audio engineering

Lol, but if you did not know about his engineering creds, he comes across like another youtube geek. Granted he is way smarter, but I could do without the gimmicky stuff. Normally would just read his written content, but lately he leaves most of the subjective content to video. He made a big deal about listening before measuring but his latest reviews seem to have gone the way of claiming the measurements affirm what he has heard. Hardly worth my time to wade through a video just to find.

While I do (as I think most folks) have a reviewer filter, I like it better when a reviewer just gives his impression speaker performance for a particular listening session. I realize extensive listening is much more time intensive, but if the subjective part is just reviewer checking a box, it is a waste of time IMO. :)

ta240

Major Contributor
It's funny because he looks more like an aerospace engineer trying to YouTube, rather than a YouTuber trying his hand at audio engineering

Which is way better than the former hi-fi salespeople that got into youtube...

If he starts doing the pensive, pained look or the head cocked to the side with a thoughtful look then I'm out.

Last edited:

Keened

Forum Donor
Lol, but if you did not know about his engineering creds, he comes across like another youtube geek. Granted he is way smarter, but I could do without the gimmicky stuff. Normally would just read his written content, but lately he leaves most of the subjective content to video. He made a big deal about listening before measuring but his latest reviews seem to have gone the way of claiming the measurements affirm what he has heard. Hardly worth my time to wade through a video just to find.

While I do (as I think most folks) have a reviewer filter, I like it better when a reviewer just gives his impression speaker performance for a particular listening session. I realize extensive listening is much more time intensive, but if the subjective part is just reviewer checking a box, it is a waste of time IMO. :)
He needs to diversify his marketing base beyond measurements and objective write ups. Amir kind of sucks up all of the air in the room for that since the vast vast majority of people engaging with online speaker reviews are either from the subjective crowd and/or the casual crowd which tends to rely very heavily on subjective reviews because they have neither the inclination to learn nor an easy way to learn how to understand the objective data.

Hint hint, we need a Wiki that explains the audio recording/reproduction chain and measurements. Ideally in a few different levels of simplicity.

He also needs to make some money and/or have more exposure to keep going since AFAIK he's not particularly economically comfortable in order to self-fund. So he's putting a varnish of subjective testimony on top of his objective core, annoying perhaps but honestly still better than 99.9% of reviewers

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
He needs to diversify his marketing base beyond measurements and objective write ups. Amir kind of sucks up all of the air in the room for that since the vast vast majority of people engaging with online speaker reviews are either from the subjective crowd and/or the casual crowd which tends to rely very heavily on subjective reviews because they have neither the inclination to learn nor an easy way to learn how to understand the objective data.

Hint hint, we need a Wiki that explains the audio recording/reproduction chain and measurements. Ideally in a few different levels of simplicity.

He also needs to make some money and/or have more exposure to keep going since AFAIK he's not particularly economically comfortable in order to self-fund. So he's putting a varnish of subjective testimony on top of his objective core, annoying perhaps but honestly still better than 99.9% of reviewers

You make some good points but, from what I see, Erin and Amir can share the Klippel-based speaker review space just fine. There are plenty of speakers out there and Erin handles ones larger than Amir and does some drivers too. If he added electronics reviews without measurements, he would be just another youtuber fighting for equipment access.

Agree it appears he has some cash flow issues and so is looking beyond what Amir does to resolve. He did not have to buy a Klippel to do objective speaker reviews. IMO, when you make an investment in professional gear like a Klippel, you are crossing the line from hobby to business. If you want a successful business, you better have a plan and know your priorities. ;)

In the end, this is a hobby marketplace and not solving world hunger or some higher purpose. Hope Erin figures what his goals and objectives are and invests well.

rubley00

He did not have to buy a Klippel to do objective speaker reviews. IMO, when you make an investment in professional gear like a Klippel, you are crossing the line from hobby to business. If you want a successful business, you better have a plan and know your priorities. ;)

Do you know that he's not monetizing the Klippel machine? He could easily be doing work he's not talking about.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you know that he's not monetizing the Klippel machine? He could easily be doing work he's not talking about.

I do not know. Might be a good thing if it produces sustaining revenue and makes him less dependent on donors. :cool:

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I picked a pair of these KLH speakers up before his review dropped and after seeing the data am a little nervous. ($1600 new at Adorama FYI if buying) I only used them for 10minutes after arrival to ensure they work. I have to admit that 10minutes didn't sound all that hot.
My ears will need some time to adjust and I will spend a little time with the PEQ, especially working on that bass. These things have no bass given the 10" woofer (unless they do break in, but out of the box they are light), which is expected in some ways due to the sealed design.
I should be able to add some decent bass boost without hurting power handling and HD/IMD/Doppler distortions.
They look nice though. Vey nice for those who want a retro design or a design that would look good in a contemporary stylish home.

I think Erin is trying to find a voice of his own and trying a few angles and bringing out some different sides of his personality.
Based on his music tastes and stories of his skater youth I suspect he has some stuff to work with.

The thing about YouTube is you often start well before you have mastered your way and instead find your way (if you find it) as everyone watches.
Really quite a risky thing to do.

The subjective reviewers I watch include Darko and Andrew Robinson. I completely enjoy them, in fact more than Erin at this point despite missing much of the objective. Though I think Erin is going to find a way that works for him and at some points has really come across well as an engaging and entertaining educator.

I bet most folks watch YouTube to be entertained regardless of all else.

The subjective part of a review is really important to me. I really enjoy it as long as I feel the reviewer is not a shill and even then sometimes they are fun (the dude from Upscale Audio can be a riot). Just data alone is boring in a video and I'd much rather just read about the data.
Besides everything someone says about the data is a subjective interpretation anyway so might as well make it fun. I deff need to interpret that data on my own and likely would have a hard time if had not tested so many speakers myself to correlate the data with. For many it is all imagination (as it has to be unless you make it a hobby and have mega time) and it is no better to me to parrot a subjective leaning or objective leaning voice. No birds.

Reactions: Zvu

rubley00

I do not know. Might be a good thing if it produces sustaining revenue and makes him less dependent on donors. :cool:
Totally off topic, but I just saw the small pic of the Hypex amp with VU meters you built. I've literally been rolling that idea around in my head the last few days. Do you have more info/pics posted about it?

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I would be doing that if I was him. I don't see any conflict with that.

The thing about the Klippel data on loudspeakers is that it is what it is. With the Klipple pumping out the data who cares if someone was even being paid for the review as long they are not doctoring the data.

You look at it and if you are able you decipher it. Then you still have to subjectively experience it both to organize its meaning and also realize some things just won't add up to what is on paper.
The reviewers subjective take is fun and appreciated by some like myself but in the end whether paid or not the review has a bunch of data along for the ride and that inherently inhibits shilling.

rubley00

I would be doing that if I was him. I don't see any conflict with that.

I was really talking about contract work generating data on speakers he's not reviewing, like someone wanting him to test a design.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I was really talking about contract work generating data on speakers he's not reviewing, like someone wanting him to test a design.
Yes, that is what I figured you meant.
I would be doing that without a doubt both for the money and for the fact it would be interesting to me.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Totally off topic, but I just saw the small pic of the Hypex amp with VU meters you built. I've literally been rolling that idea around in my head the last few days. Do you have more info/pics posted about it?

I do have build pics, but have not posted. That amp case was huge and had its challenges. One is that I had to use 2 VU meter interfaces as the design was dual mono. These also required some voltage conversions which is the little breadboard you see below…

19C3951E-50D8-4E48-86A7-C8E9C7D9D716.jpeg

Nothing that cannot be overcome but PM me for details.

MrPotatoHead

I found this thread after seeing so many enthusiastically positive reviews of the KLH Model 5s - probably more than any other speaker I can recall (maybe because I was searching them out after seeing the initial praise). Are they all falling for the hype or are they receiving invisible compensation... or something else?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I am taking the liberty of reanimating this thread because I just now today learned that the KLH of today has a new(ish), smaller, cheaper, two-way morph (of sorts) of the KLH Five -- the cleverly named ;) KLH Three!

1663453543346.png

An acoustic suspension two way with an 8" woofer -- classical New England loudspeaker territory, and (other than the acoustic suspension alignment) not all that out of whack with even modern two-way standmounts, at least conceptually.
I guess this is my passive-aggressive way of hoping that someone acquires one (or a pair) and puts 'em to the test. ;)

I am not motivated enough to actually purchase a pair and have 'em (or one of 'em) drop shipped to @amirm (or "Erin", for that matter) -- but one would be intrigued to see how they stack up (so to speak) against any of a number of similarly priced/similarly sized two-way passives of today. :)
They are on sale at the moment, as it turns out! :cool:

1663453200223.png

or, of course, maybe no one but me is curious...
:confused:

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
I found this thread after seeing so many enthusiastically positive reviews of the KLH Model 5s - probably more than any other speaker I can recall (maybe because I was searching them out after seeing the initial praise). Are they all falling for the hype or are they receiving invisible compensation... or something else?
For what it's worth, it didn't get any first place votes at the recent Arizona Speakerfest.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am taking the liberty of reanimating this thread because I just now today learned that the KLH of today has a new(ish), smaller, cheaper, two-way morph (of sorts) of the KLH Five -- the cleverly named ;) KLH Three!

View attachment 231611

An acoustic suspension two way with an 8" woofer -- classical New England loudspeaker territory, and (other than the acoustic suspension alignment) not all that out of whack with even modern two-way standmounts, at least conceptually.
I guess this is my passive-aggressive way of hoping that someone acquires one (or a pair) and puts 'em to the test. ;)

I am not motivated enough to actually purchase a pair and have 'em (or one of 'em) drop shipped to @amirm (or "Erin", for that matter) -- but one would be intrigued to see how they stack up (so to speak) against any of a number of similarly priced/similarly sized two-way passives of today. :)
They are on sale at the moment, as it turns out! :cool:

View attachment 231609

or, of course, maybe no one but me is curious...
:confused:
I heard it (the klh 5)at the az speakerfest in Fountain Hills last month...it had some lower mid(?..) Issues imo...kinda muddy, the highs were nice though...

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I heard it (the klh 5)at the az speakerfest in Fountain Hills last month...it had some lower mid(?..) Issues imo...kinda muddy, the highs were nice though...
Thus would it be interesting to "see" how the smaller, two-way Three does. :)

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thus would it be interesting to "see" how the smaller, two-way Three does. :)
absolutely..i'm not entirely certain the klh5's issues weren't set up oriented.. they have proprietary stands that are tilted back a bit, thus creating different "angles" for those farther back in the room,which i was...

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
absolutely..i'm not entirely certain the klh5's issues weren't set up oriented.. they have proprietary stands that are tilted back a bit, thus creating different "angles" for those farther back in the room,which i was...
Interesting. I would guess there's an optimum place to be with the tilted back "time aligned" ;) stands a la (e.g.) mid-1970s Polk Audio "monitors".

Top Bottom