• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF T301C Review (Ultra-thin Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 141 80.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 3 1.7%

• Total voters

beagleman

Major Contributor
Actually KEF T301C is shallower 1,5” vs IKEA’s 2”. Anyway it’s difficult not to agree with you on the rest.

I always expect KEF to deliver best in class sound quality!

The Ikea speaker is FAR better sounding.

Way better and deeper bass, plays louder, and cleaner sounding.

Vladimir Filevski

Addicted to Fun and Learning
except that there is a gigantic peak between 1KHz and 3KHz in the sound power, why would that energy disappear once the speaker is wall mounted?
Not true, see Estimated in-room response graph - there is a dip between 1.2 kHz and 2.5 kHz when the loudspeaker is not on-wall! When it is on-wall, response below 1 kHz will be lifted up, making huge dip between 1 kHz and 3 kHz in the total response, as I said earlier.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not true, see Estimated in-room response graph - there is a dip between 1.2 kHz and 2.5 kHz when the loudspeaker is not on-wall! When it is on-wall, response below 1 kHz will be lifted up, making huge dip between 1 kHz and 3 kHz in the total response, as I said earlier.
What dip?????!!!!!!

1638748153970.png

Vladimir Filevski

What dip?????!!!!!!
I see elephant in the room - dip between 1.2 kHz and 2.5 kHz. It will be much worse when you mount this loudspeaker on the wall - frequencies below 1 kHz will be augmented by as much as 6 dB, leveling with the peak at 1 kHz, making about 5 dB dip between 1 kHz and 3 kHz in the total response. That is more than octave and a half wide.

Last edited:

Mauro

The Ikea speaker is FAR better sounding.

Way better and deeper bass, plays louder, and cleaner sounding.
I guess so, I have bought the book-shaped Symphonisk and it does sound good. A rough treble, a bad sonos app, no connectivity apart wifi/Ethernet and poor wifi range were for me let-downs and I returned it.

beagleman

Major Contributor
I guess so, I have bought the book-shaped Symphonisk and it does sound good. A rough treble, a bad sonos app, no connectivity apart wifi/Ethernet and poor wifi range were for me let-downs and I returned it.
Sorry, I should have been more specific, but I was referring to the SYMFONISK Picture frame "speaker" specifically.

I have heard the one you have, but only briefly, and really can not remember how it seemed for sure.

Vladimir Filevski

Where are the measurements available? Please provide data/links. Thanks
Sorry for the delay... Here it is:
In red is Jamo A505 on-axias frequency response (2.83V/1m) - rather smooth and flat, except at 3 kHz crossover point. Drop above 10 kHz is not characteristic of the tweeter, but is artifact of the used class D amplifier - for actual tweeter response add 2 dB at 12 kHz and 6.5 dB at 20 kHz.

In green is modified crossover -10 microF instead of original 15 microF in the low-pass filter (second order).
Jamo A505.png

tecnogadget

Sorry for the delay... Here it is:
In red is Jamo A505 on-axias frequency response (2.83V/1m) - rather smooth and flat, except at 3 kHz crossover point. Drop above 10 kHz is not characteristic of the tweeter, but is artifact of the used class D amplifier - for actual tweeter response add 2 dB at 12 kHz and 6.5 dB at 20 kHz.

In green is modified crossover -10 microF instead of original 15 microF in the low-pass filter (second order).
View attachment 172387
Thanks for the upload. Yes indeed, the response is very flat but only thanks to the modified crossover. Though as a fair comparison and stock form I could not call it astonishingly flat, still a good performer but a shame its a discontinued speaker and hard to find.

tecnogadget

Could any other member provide an alternative design that fits within this "Ultra-thin Speaker" category but with better response? And at the same time the speaker is a contemporary design that can be bought at stores. It would be very much appreciated.

Vladimir Filevski

Thanks for the upload. Yes indeed, the response is very flat but only thanks to the modified crossover. Though as a fair comparison and stock form I could not call it astonishingly flat, still a good performer but a shame its a discontinued speaker and hard to find.
One of the bigger problems of KEF T301C are pronounced resonances between 800 Hz and 2 kHz, which can not be corrected by modifying its crossover. On the other hand, frequency responses of Jamo A505 drivers are very smooth and it is very easy (and cheap) to modify the crossover for a really flat response.

Vladimir Filevski

Check Monitor Audio SoundFrame, it might fit the bill. I am unaware of a review with measured frequency response, though.
sound-frame-speakers.jpg

radix

Major Contributor
Could any other member provide an alternative design that fits within this "Ultra-thin Speaker" category but with better response? And at the same time the speaker is a contemporary design that can be bought at stores. It would be very much appreciated.

Here's some of the others I've been looking at, but cannot find any measurements for them.

I've seen recommendations for the S16 on this forum.

I skipped straight to R3/R2c and gave up on thin LCR.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've seen recommendations for the S16 on this forum.
Revel S16, while considered a surround speaker is a really good speaker. I will post some on wall measurements when I get home. It is also fairly sensitive at 89/90 I believe.

nathan

Revel S16, while considered a surround speaker is a really good speaker. I will post some on wall measurements when I get home. It is also fairly sensitive at 89/90 I believe.
They are excellent. I use a pair in my living room and frankly I’d be hard pressed to tell a difference between them and the M16.

(They don’t go as low, but I always use a subwoofer since it works better for managing bass response no matter how low a speaker goes.)

Top Bottom