• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Reference 4C Review (Center Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 78 22.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 255 74.1%

• Total voters

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
... I just this morning got some pictures of the finished construction, pre-stain/lacquer stands that are being constructed to support my Reference 4c L/R speaker pair....
That is some serious 1" [?] oak: isn't it?
May I also ask you your joining method(s)?

exm

In case anyone is interested, I just this morning got some pictures of the finished construction, pre-stain/lacquer stands that are being constructed to support my Reference 4c L/R speaker pair. They're constructed to permit filling the base with dampening material and set with mounting hardware underneath to support a set of isoAcoustics Gaia II feet. I'm not really concerned with their purported isolation capabilities, especially given that they're on hardwood flooring over a slab foundation, but I do like the fact that they will allow me to fine-tune the height, level, and angle properties of the setup.

View attachment 183550
View attachment 183551

I have Gaia II also under my Reference 5. I tried the Gaia I but I felt they are too big, so when I got a killer deal on the Gaia II, I jumped on it. I don’t hear any difference in sound between the I and II, they look more proportionally correct, and I am saving a lot of money.

What I do like about the Gaia is that they make it easy to move the speaker on hardwood floors, they look great and it’s easy to level my speakers. In case anyone wonders.

JRiggs

I have my Ref 5s at 50hz and am getting this speaker, I am wondering if I should cross this at 50hz also.
I prefer to let my subs handle 50hz.

exm

I prefer to let my subs handle 50hz.

I played around extensively with crossovers on my 5s and my dual 12” subs and I feel that the result of my mains with 50Hz instead 80Hz works much better. Yes, it’s probably my room setup but that’s the way it is. I am using Lyngdorf’s RoomPerfect EQ.

JD_Spoon

That is some serious 1" [?] oak: isn't it?
May I also ask you your joining method(s)?
I'm not in a position to measure, but my recollection is that it's 3/4" oak boards, with 3/4" oak plywood base. I don't know the specifics on the joining for the caps, as they were built for me by a friend who works in a woodworking shop.

JD_Spoon

I played around extensively with crossovers on my 5s and my dual 12” subs and I feel that the result of my mains with 50Hz instead 80Hz works much better. Yes, it’s probably my room setup but that’s the way it is. I am using Lyngdorf’s RoomPerfect EQ.
IIRC, I got the best results with my room and subs with my crossover set at 70Hz.

exm

IIRC, I got the best results with my room and subs with my crossover set at 70Hz.
Cross-posted so you might have seen this before. Here’s my new center next to my Ref 5 to see how they compare in size. I am sure the Ref 4 will do great as a main speaker! (All are non-Meta).

Attachments

• 5D646104-A22C-4921-B846-140BD136955D.jpeg
    5D646104-A22C-4921-B846-140BD136955D.jpeg
    358.8 KB · Views: 168

Descartes

Major Contributor
Cross-posted so you might have seen this before. Here’s my new center next to my Ref 5 to see how they compare in size. I am sure the Ref 4 will do great as a main speaker! (All are non-Meta).
They look cool and are big! I wish KEF didn’t make them so angular!
I know the Blades are more organic shape but so expensive!

JRiggs

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I have my Ref 5s at 50hz and am getting this speaker, I am wondering if I should cross this at 50hz also.
There is no universal answer. Just because the speaker is capable to do so, doesn’t mean that this will give you the most even frequency response. You would have to measure eg with REW to determine that. Why? Simply speaking one places the mains to optimize soundstage (triangle), however that does often lead to nulls and peaks in bass. Now the subs come in which you place strategically in a way that dips and peaks are minimized and phase align everything with eg MSO.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
@Descartes
The Reference 2 and the R2C are two different center speakers along the line of KEF Reference vs its R Series. The first costs about 5000 and the second about 1000. Erin measured the R2C.

Edited. Wrong addressee.

Last edited:

JRiggs

The Reference 2 and the R2C are two different center speakers along the line of KEF Reference vs its R Series. The first costs about 5000 and the second about 1000. Erin measured the R2C.
I KNOW. I am not the one confused or misnaming the speakers. Thanks.

chouca

From KEF's website, it looks like these are rear ported, so presumably not suitable for on-wall installation?

I'm looking to buy a center channel to go with my Blade Two Metas. For now it will be in the room, but once my room is fully built, it will be behind an acoustically transparent screen, so presumably horizontal or vertical orientation could work. Given that, what's my best option for a center channel in the KEF lineup?

sifi36

From KEF's website, it looks like these are rear ported, so presumably not suitable for on-wall installation?

I'm looking to buy a center channel to go with my Blade Two Metas. For now it will be in the room, but once my room is fully built, it will be behind an acoustically transparent screen, so presumably horizontal or vertical orientation could work. Given that, what's my best option for a center channel in the KEF lineup?
I’d say either the Reference 2 Meta (sealed box two less woofers than the subject of this thread), R6 Meta (same driver configuration as the Reference 2 Meta but won’t be quite as flat or low distortion). Personally, if in-wall is an option I’d go for the Ci5160REFM (the in-wall version of this review’s subject) or the Ci5160RLM and forget about any SBIR altogether.

Top Bottom