• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Reference 4C Review (Center Speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 78 22.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 255 74.1%

• Total voters

Descartes

Major Contributor
From KEF's website, it looks like these are rear ported, so presumably not suitable for on-wall installation?

I'm looking to buy a center channel to go with my Blade Two Metas. For now it will be in the room, but once my room is fully built, it will be behind an acoustically transparent screen, so presumably horizontal or vertical orientation could work. Given that, what's my best option for a center channel in the KEF lineup?
An other Blade 2 Meta

exm

From KEF's website, it looks like these are rear ported, so presumably not suitable for on-wall installation?

I'm looking to buy a center channel to go with my Blade Two Metas. For now it will be in the room, but once my room is fully built, it will be behind an acoustically transparent screen, so presumably horizontal or vertical orientation could work. Given that, what's my best option for a center channel in the KEF lineup?

I just replaced my Reference 4 (nm) with the Reference 2 Meta. In my opinion, both are very capable center speakers, but the 2 extra (ported) drivers for the Ref 4 would only come in handy in a larger room. On top of that, the Reference 4 is huge (make sure to note measurements). In my opinion for your situation, the Reference 2 Meta would be ideal. It uses the same Uni-Q Array as the 4s.

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just replaced my Reference 4 (nm) with the Reference 2 Meta. In my opinion, both are very capable center speakers, but the 2 extra (ported) drivers for the Ref 4 would only come in handy in a larger room. On top of that, the Reference 4 is huge (make sure to note measurements). In my opinion for your situation, the Reference 2 Meta would be ideal. It uses the same Uni-Q Array as the 4s.
KEF ref 2 meta uses the same uni-q as Blade 2 meta. Just saying...

Descartes

Major Contributor
So how big is your room?

exm

Can you please provide room dimensions? My room is 20 x 18 x 10 feet

My room is 16d x 12w - with a door. So the space between my 2 main speakers (Ref5) is 10ft.

Last edited:

chouca

Oh, and another Blade 2 won't work because I don't have space behind the screen to accommodate it.

chouca

I guess I'm asking more than one question here:

1) With an acoustically transparent screen, is it better to go with a vertically oriented center channel? If I position my screen low enough, I think I can align the three coaxial drivers for the LCR speakers with the center channel in a vertical orientation.

2) In the long run, would I be better off buying the Reference 4 Meta and then sealing the ports when installing it in-wall, or buying the Ci5160REFM-THX and building a temporary enclosure for it until my room is ready for in-wall installation?

Last edited:

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor

Behind screen forget center. Configuration is messy compromise. Place floorstander behind screen. Don't tell me won't fit. It's a screen.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor

1) With an acoustically transparent screen, is it better to go with a vertically oriented center channel? If I position my screen low enough, I think I can align the three coaxial drivers for the LCR speakers with the center channel in a vertical orientation.

2) In the long run, would I be better off buying the Reference 4 Meta and then sealing the ports when installing it in-wall, or buying the Ci5160REFM-THX and building a temporary enclosure for it until my room is ready for in-wall installation?
You are over thinking.

exm

1) Ideally, you want the tweeters to be at the same height. Horizontal or vertical oriented doesn't matter
2) If your end-game are the in-wall speakers, I would get those. I looked these up: they look fantastic, but expensive. Hopefully your dealer gives you a nice discount.

chouca

I'll go with the Ci5160RLM-THX for my center channel, and will build a 90 liter MDF cabinet for it until my room is built. I was hoping to avoid the DIY part of this, but it seems like it will yield the best long-term outcome. Thanks!

Descartes

Major Contributor
Could you use three Reference 2C Meta placed horizontally under a 100” TV rather than two on the side? I wonder how it would sound.
If you have experience please chime in!

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would space left and right appropriately for your listening distance, but generally IMO the front speakers should be the same model and in the same orientation at the same height.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I would space left and right appropriately for your listening distance, but generally IMO the front speakers should be the same model and in the same orientation at the same height.
Ok so placing all three horizontally should work?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, and (marginally) better than 2 vertical, 1 horizontal.

exm

Ok so placing all three horizontally should work?

I wouldn't see why not! (note: I own a Ref 2 Meta, so I gladly answer any questions!)

Top Bottom