• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kef R3 + Stand or R7 ?

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What Hi-fi’s review of R5 says that it is somewhat lacking “when it comes to rhythmic precision or the ability to express dynamic nuances with conviction.” What does it mean? Is it something that can be measured?
They also says that the R3s deliver “a clearer and more expressive performance.” Since other than the “rhythmic precision” they are pretty enthusiastic about R5, this must be what makes R3 better than R5 in their eyes (or ears).
They don’t review R7 or R11. Would the same issues make them inferior to R3? As R3 is the only model reviewed here, I am worried because I want a floorstander.
Just treat what hifi as an audiophile word generator. They are as good as a broken clock

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are the spins (from Speaker Data 2034):
R3
View attachment 126459
R7
View attachment 126460

Both look excellent, the R3 perhaps a bit better (bass extension not taken into account). I would go for the R3 and consider adding a 2nd sub. You have more control over room modes with 2 subs. But only if you have the freedom to place the subs optimally.

If I can give another small piece of advice, I would pull the sofa off the back wall, so that the listening distance is closer to 3m. You get away from the harmful back-wall reflection and bass build-up. And while you didn't specify how far apart the speakers are placed it seems they are 3m or less. Moving the sofa closer would bring you closer to an equilateral triangle setup.

Something I notice about those measurements is that the R7 slopes down almost 5dB from 100-20,000, whereas the R3 only slopes down 2dB or so. Even with subs in play, I would expect these speakers to sound tonally different.

Top Bottom