• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Meta - Review & Measurements by Erin

jiji

Thank you for your subjective opinion! I think it that “Now that i feel the new R3 metas ran more than 100 hours, i believe it might have opened up.” is pure speculation and a figment of your imagination
It could be partially speculation . but not completely, as the bass drivers need some time to relax (spider movements and cone stiffness) from the factory production period if it is brand new. For tweeter and midrange it could be speculation :) as I'm not sure if they need time(may be some one can provide their experience).

ypaul123

Hi,

Should I get the R3 meta or Polk L200 ? I own the Polk LSIM 706c ...

Thanks

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi,

Should I get the R3 meta or Polk L200 ? I own the Polk LSIM 706c ...

Thanks
If you like the Polk center, can you get Lsim 703?

Polk R200 cheaper than KEF and similar to center if you like it. (Ring radiator tweeter)

terfenol-D

Quick question - can you use these speakers with banana plugs? Just got a pair to replace my LS50's. I used wire with banana plugs on my LS50 with no problem but can't figure out how to use the same wire on these. I know speakers sometimes come with little plugs on the end but I cannot get them out. The owners manual does not mention use or non-use of banana plugs.

kolestonin

I use these speakers with banana plugs and If I remember correctly I had to remove the plugs before inserting them.
I can't check right now as the plugs are in the box in my basement, but they should be little plastic pieces of black and red colour.
Did you try to unscrew the knobs?

terfenol-D

I use these speakers with banana plugs and If I remember correctly I had to remove the plugs before inserting them.
I can't check right now as the plugs are in the box in my basement, but they should be little plastic pieces of black and red colour.
Did you try to unscrew the knobs?
Got them out. I actually called Kef and the person knew the issue right away. It was suggested to let the speakers warm up a little bit (I had just brought them in). 10 minutes later and they were out.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
R200 < L200
and I was asking about the L200
We have gated spinoramas for L200 from 2 reviewers (napilopez and audioholics), and they're very similar:
both.gif

Vs Kef R3 Meta:
CEA2034.jpg

KO....
Winner: Kef R3 Meta!

Descartes

Major Contributor
It could be partially speculation . but not completely, as the bass drivers need some time to relax (spider movements and cone stiffness) from the factory production period if it is brand new. For tweeter and midrange it could be speculation :) as I'm not sure if they need time(may be some one can provide their experience).
I am curious where have you read that? Have you gone scientific measurements to demonstrate that speakers need breaking time? If I remember correctly either Amir of Erin have shown that speakers measure the same out of the box and after hours of listening!

Descartes

Major Contributor
Got them out. I actually called Kef and the person knew the issue right away. It was suggested to let the speakers warm up a little bit (I had just brought them in). 10 minutes later and they were out.
The plastic warmed up and then they popped right out!

jiji

I am curious where have you read that? Have you gone scientific measurements to demonstrate that speakers need breaking time? If I remember correctly either Amir of Erin have shown that speakers measure the same out of the box and after hours of listening!
It is mentioned in the KEF website itself.

Rednaxela

Major Contributor

For the record, I'm only trying to be of help. Not at all to make a point. My own speakers explicitly did not need any break-in.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

For the record, I'm only trying to be of help. Not at all to make a point. My own speakers explicitly did not need any break-in.
Oh Boy. Thanks for the link.

@jackocleebrown I expected better from KEF not just a bunch of handwaving. Some facts would have been nice eg FR measurements before and after „break-in“ to assess the audibility even if measurable.

I hope mine Reference 3 and KF92 don’t break-in. Especially why would they stop breaking-in and not just deteriorating.

Opal

wow wow wow did not expect this from KEF at all. Come on show us the science and data

Descartes

Major Contributor
Seriously I didn’t expect some mambo jumbo like this coming from KEF, please provide the data!

Maybe Amir or Erin care to comment since they both put the R3 and R3 Meta on their bench!

Top Bottom