• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Meta - Review & Measurements by Erin

Beave

Major Contributor
I'm seriously considering upgrading from my wharfedale Evo 4.2 to the KEF R3 Meta , mainly because of all the reviews they are getting.

But the thing is I'm actually pretty happy with the Evo 4.2

Send the Wharfedales to Amir or Erin for a Klippel scan. They you - and all of us - will know how their measurements compare to the KEFs and to other speakers. And then you'll have a better idea of whether or not switching to the KEFs is an upgrade or a sideways change. :)

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Send the Wharfedales to Amir or Erin for a Klippel scan. They you - and all of us - will know how their measurements compare to the KEFs and to other speakers. And then you'll have a better idea of whether or not switching to the KEFs is an upgrade or a sideways change. :)
Shipping there and back and import fees when they are returned would be probably way to high.

jiji

Finally pulled the trigger and bought gloss black Kef R3 meta. Got approx. 10% offer from the dealer, which I think is great for now.
So replacing my Kef LS50 for the fronts with R3 meta . LS 50 will now moved as surround speakers.
Some initial thoughts about the R3 meta:
1. R3 meta is solid built and Gloss black means finger prints everywhere. I know this before buying, but to match all my black gears i chose gloss black.
2. However i think the build quality of LS50 is much better that R3 meta , as the finishing is not perfect in R3 meta. For example the shadow flare in the coaxial driver was not fixed properly. Top section of shadow flare is bit inside and bottom section of shadow flare is bit outside. Same for the woofer outside plastic. They are having gaps and uneven fixing. I'm bit surprised by that, as i expected better finishing with the speakers of this price.
3. But good thing is the sound quality. No cabinet resonances even if I put my ear in the cabinet during plying music, which is really good.
4. I have played almost approx. 30 hours now and slowly it is becoming smooth.
5. First impression after replacing my LS50, much fuller sound, more sound stage and vocals are having more presence. Now I can hear more time without any fatigue which is really good. I'm using without any EQ , so pure output from Ever solo DMP A6 to my NAD C298 XLR input.
6. I certainly hear very good improvement in Fuller sound, decent bass, and no distortion now. Only thing i miss from LS50 is the holographic sound.
7. In Kef R3 meta, the high end is really great and no harshness . There is difference with and without grill, so without grill bit better. All this are subjective listening and i have plans to use rew to see what measurements says in later stage. Now my plan is to just play music more than 100 hours to open up the speaker from the default manufacturer mode(static condition).

overall, I'm satisfied but still not able to digest the finishing quality of the R3 meta . I have wrote to the dealer about that already and will also write to KEF about this finishing issues. Will update some pictures later this week once I have some time.

dogmamann

Addicted to Fun and Learning
this guy is claiming another bookshelf is better than r3 meta without any proof!

dogmamann

[ICODE][ICODE][/ICODE][/ICODE]I’m always amazed at how much BS some reviewers can spew out. I guess you could call it a gift of sorts…
Yes, there is nothing better than the R3 currently under 6k. It’s hard to beat its performance with another passive ! VC - Virtual coaxial !!

thegeton

Forum Donor
I bought a pair of KEF R3 Metas in early March and couldn't be happier with their performance in my system. I have no objective measurements, nor do I have any double blind AxB test results, just my humble subjective opinion.

Ok, we're 7 months, 25 days into the experience and I'm more convinced than ever that the R3 Metas are excellent speakers. I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

thegeton

Forum Donor
this guy is claiming another bookshelf is better than r3 meta without any proof!

Please don't give this subjectivist another click. The manufacturer's website also advertises insanely expensive cables and cable lifters.

WithoutEvidence.jpg

Steve81

Forum Donor
Ok, we're 7 months, 25 days into the experience and I'm more convinced than ever that the R3 Metas are excellent speakers. I'm very satisfied with my purchase.

I’m only one month in on owning a pair of R3 Metas in gloss black, but I’ve got no complaints to speak of either. Having a Rythmik F12SE crossed at 100Hz to fill in the low end doesn’t hurt either.

dogmamann

Please don't give this subjectivist another click. The manufacturer's website also advertises insanely expensive cables and cable lifters.

View attachment 323260
First thing he noticed was how better their stereo seperation was !! That’s ridiculous ! How can one speaker have better stereo seperation than other. ? They can if in one of the pairs have the speakers kept closer than the other!

thegeton

Forum Donor
I’m only one month in on owning a pair of R3 Metas in gloss black, but I’ve got no complaints to speak of either. Having a Rythmik F12SE crossed at 100Hz to fill in the low end doesn’t hurt either.

Yep. I have an SVS SB-1000 Pro crossed at ~80Hz and this setup. I think it sounds amazing.

Last edited:

Descartes

Major Contributor

jeffme

Forum Donor
@Descartes - I think those are different speakers.

In fairness, what I posted was from @sweetchaos 's list & the numbers for the Sierra-LX are from Ascend's vendor-provided measurements.

There is a small thread on the LX here & would obviously love to get an independent measurement:

Top Bottom