• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Meta - Review & Measurements by Erin

Descartes

Major Contributor
@Descartes - I think those are different speakers.

In fairness, what I posted was from @sweetchaos 's list & the numbers for the Sierra-LX are from Ascend's vendor-provided measurements.

There is a small thread on the LX here & would obviously love to get an independent measurement:
I will stick with KEF R3 Meta

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
this guy is claiming another bookshelf is better than r3 meta without any proof!
James Larson has measured a couple of that company’s speakers for Audioholics. You can look them up to see the performance they target.

ExPerfectionist

I think not!

Ascend Sierra-LX and Sierra Luna Duo Center channel are completely different speakers.

OldGreg

Playing with crossover settings with my SVS 3000 Micro - where’s everybody finding the sweet spot to be with their R3 Metas? Seems to be somewhere between 80-100hz in my room but haven’t had a chance to measure yet.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Playing with crossover settings with my SVS 3000 Micro - where’s everybody finding the sweet spot to be with their R3 Metas? Seems to be somewhere between 80-100hz in my room but haven’t had a chance to measure yet.
90 Hz

rogu3

Descartes

Major Contributor
Does anyone have a R3 Meta and a Reference One Meta section cut to see what they look like inside?

exm

Does anyone have a R3 Meta and a Reference One Meta section cut to see what they look like inside?

Not the r3s/r11s, but here are the 11s/Ref5s. I assume you can picture what the smaller versions will look like.

Attachments

• kef-ref.jpeg
    kef-ref.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 91
  • kef-r.jpg
    kef-r.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 91

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
No, he measures outside.

The Klippel NFS is a great tool, but there are other ways to acquire useful data as well.
Ditto that. James measured the $25,000 MonAcoustic SuperMon Isobaric, and it didn't do very well. See horizontal waterfall plot below. James doesn't provide distortion data, and he has to splice a ground plane measurement to the quasi-anechoic portion to predict bass response. But with those exceptions, I find his measurements as informative as the Klippel results, speaking both as a designer and a consumer.
image_large

jiji

After a month of listening to R3 metas, here is what i experienced
1. Long listening fatigue is gone , compared to my LS50(non meta)
2. No need of sub in my room(I have it though for movies) now for 2 channel music listening, as R3 bass response is more than decent.
3. Both R3 meta & LS50 Non meta sound signatures are bit different. For example i miss the LS50 holographic presentation with highs are predominant, whereas in R3 metas the instruments are good with a good layered presentation. In my world they are not replacement for each other, but with different presentation.
4. R3 meta high frequency presentation for me it seems to be bit may be more controlled?(may be bit more highs i expected)
5. Mids and vocals are really great and phantom center image is good compared to LS 50.
6. I find R3 metas to be more neutral(some times bit boring), if the content is different, but LS50 non meta was fun with almost all contents(may be its me).
7. Now that i feel the new R3 metas ran more than 100 hours, i believe it might have opened up.
8.I tried toeing out a bit as suggested in general, but it doesn't work for me, as I lost more HF by toeing out. My case straight placement (0 deg) works better. May be its due to the fact I'm having basic first reflection room correction done.
9. Overall I'm happy , but would like to do more comparisons in December.
10. Now my LS 50 serves as a surround speakers and man what a difference it makes in the surround environment. Simply enhanced my movie viewing experience.

Last edited:

Descartes

Major Contributor
After a month of listening to R3 metas, here is what i experienced
1. Long listening fatigue is gone , compared to my LS50(non meta)
2. No need of sub in my room(I have it though for movies) now for 2 channel music listening, as R3 bass response is more than decent.
3. Both R3 meta & LS50 Non meta sound signatures are bit different. For example i miss the LS50 holographic presentation with highs are predominant, whereas in R3 metas the instruments are good with a good layered presentation. In my world they are not replacement for each other, but with different presentation.
4. R3 meta high frequency presentation for me it seems to be bit may be more controlled?(may be bit more highs i expected)
5. Mids and vocals are really great and phantom center image is good compared to LS 50.
6. I find R3 metas to be more neutral(some times bit boring), if the content is different, but LS50 non meta was fun with almost all contents(may be its me).
7. Now that i feel the new R3 metas ran more than 100 hours, i believe it might have opened up.
8.I tried toeing out a bit as suggested in general, but it doesn't work for me, as I lost more HF by toeing out. My case straight placement (0 deg) works better. May be its due to the fact I'm having basic first reflection room correction done.
9. Overall I'm happy , but would like to do more comparisons in December.
10. Now my LS 50 serves as a surround speakers and man what a difference it makes in the surround environment. Simply enhanced my movie viewing experience.
Thank you for your subjective opinion! I think it that “Now that i feel the new R3 metas ran more than 100 hours, i believe it might have opened up.” is pure speculation and a figment of your imagination

Top Bottom