• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Q150 vs. Elac DBR62

honn

I know the DBR62 is well reviewed and I currently have them to audition. Now that the Q150 is on discount, I want to know how do the two compare to each other? I couldn’t see any comparisons online. Thanks!

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Last edited:

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Smaller woofer of Q150 will have more distortion and less frequency extension than Q350.
True. But keep in mind that high-end KEFs all use the smaller woofer, so I assume that means that it works really well within its range. I have the Q100 and Q300 and they both sound very nice. I cross them high (120 Hz). So, the final answer may also depend on whether the OP plans to use a sub or subs, and where the crossover is set.

Having said this, I can't see any problem with the ELAC. Plus, it might be considered to be a much better looking speaker (depending on individual taste, of course).

Benedium

Forum Donor
I know the DBR62 is well reviewed and I currently have them to audition. Now that the Q150 is on discount, I want to know how do the two compare to each other? I couldn’t see any comparisons online. Thanks!
You must be new here ;)

Benedium

Forum Donor
haha yes indeed! I am staying with the DBR62!! ;)
That said. It seems dbr62 is a pretty controversial speaker as many new owners have reported that it sounds unusual. You may or may not like it with your amplifier.

OP
honn

honn

That said. It seems dbr62 is a pretty controversial speaker as many new owners have reported that it sounds unusual. You may or may not like it with your amplifier.
They may be a little hard to drive, but I have used them with $120 Topping PA3 amp to $500 XTZ Edge A2-300 amp and they all quite sufficiently drive them (of course the more powerful XTZ did better but the Topping wasn't bad at all).

rnj

I have both, and really enjoy them. At one point I had them both in a corner (not optimal I know), and the kef q150s were too sloppy with the bass reflecting everywhere (even with foam in back). The DBR62 being front firing sounded much better (cleaner, more detailed) with that poor room placement. Though recently I reorganized them so that they are placed reasonably well in the room (not in a corner), so both have decent space around them. They both sounded great, though I ended up preferring the extra warmth of the q150s. Frankly I think the q150s have looser bass which in this room setup makes them sound warmer and more pleasing to my ear. The DB62s sound great too, maybe with a little more detail, and tighter bass, but I was more thrilled listening to the q150s in this room setup, even though I maybe sacrificed a little clarity.

My room is a square, small to medium size office with wooden floors, and the speakers are against the long wall with my desk against the opposite long wall. I was listening to mostly rock and jazz.

Top Bottom