• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Kube 10B vs SVS SB-1000 Pro

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't think so, but it depends what you expect.
Besides the more pleasing visual, I would want tighter and deeper bass, but I am not sure if this would be delivered. Preferable still 100 SPL at 20 Hz.
because it doesn't. it's a very simple sub. the only controls are those on the back.

how big is you room?
Is is kind of small, about 3,5 x 4,5 m and about 2,5 m high. But with a miniDSP 2x4 HD, a measurement microphone and REW I should be able to ajust all this, right? I have no prior experience with all this stuff, yet I am willing to dig deeper into this matter.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
100 SPL at 20 Hz.

No chance the Kef can pull that off haha

However, I'm not entirely certain how far I can push it due to the absence of a limiter as I mentioned earlier.

Additionally, the low-frequency extension is accomplished through DSP, what they call iBX technology.

But I highly doubt any material calls for 100dB at 20Hz. If you're looking for a subwoofer for booming movie explosions, the Kef 12b might reach its limits.............with music, though, and I tend to play quite loud at times (my mains are PA speakers), it handles my 4.08x2.93 room perfectly fine.
I inquired about the size because the larger the room, the more powerful subwoofer you'll require.

MacClintock

No chance the Kef can pull that off haha

However, I'm not entirely certain how far I can push it due to the absence of a limiter as I mentioned earlier.

Additionally, the low-frequency extension is accomplished through DSP, what they call iBX technology.

But I highly doubt any material calls for 100dB at 20Hz. If you're looking for a subwoofer for booming movie explosions, the Kef 12b might reach its limits.............with music, though, and I tend to play quite loud at times (my mains are PA speakers), it handles my 4.08x2.93 room perfectly fine.
I inquired about the size because the larger the room, the more powerful subwoofer you'll require.
Well, the KEF 10B reaches according to the Butterworth measurements 99.4 and 92.3 at 20Hz and 16Hz (at 1m), thus the 12B will even more so. So my room is slighly larger. Do you have any complaints with the 12B or would recommend it straight out?

Last edited:

MacClintock

No complaints whatsoever. I just wish it had a limiter. It delivers powerful and deep bass in rooms of our size. In fact, in my room, it reaches down to 9Hz, so you can also expect output below 20Hz.
Do you have 1 or 2?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No complaints whatsoever. I just wish it had a limiter. It delivers powerful and deep bass in rooms of our size. In fact, in my room, it reaches down to 9Hz, so you can also expect output below 20Hz.
In-room SPL at 9 hz is?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
In-room SPL at 9 hz is?

you mean max? never tried, as I said I am afraid to test it's limit because of the lack of limiter.

here is an older in-room response without low-pass I found. It had probably the "corner" EQ switch engaged

edd.jpg

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
you mean max? never tried, as I said I am afraid to test it's limit because of the lack of limiter.

here is an older in-room response without low-pass I found. It had probably the "corner" EQ switch engaged

View attachment 290895
Thanks, just curious what you measured particularly (since at 9hz you're not likely able to judge much by ear). What does a corner switch do, recreate corner placement or try to compensate for placement in a corner? How big a room is it?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It attempts to compensate. The 10-30Hz area has a significant peak if it is absent, iirc.
I am currently measuring things, so it is worthwhile to remeasure it. I will likely post it tomorrow.

View attachment 290982
Thanks. How can the volume be less than the square measure?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
here are the 3 positions for the EQ

1686324150846.png

if we divide the 2 extremes we see it's a low shelf at 40Hz(?)

1686327776534.png

now there is a problem with the measurements

the cal file for my Dayton EMM-6 only goes down to 20Hz

1686328017730.png

and it has other problems like the wiggles that shouldn't be there. I will be talking about that in a nother topic for the intrested.
for now, I am currently using this guesstimated/modified cal (overlaid):

1686329931312.png

with this one the first graph looks like this:

1686330107370.png

bonus:

when I open the door at the back of the room this happens:

1686330187173.png

Willem

Major Contributor
From what I understand the iBX technology is similar to what other brands also use to push the extension at lower levels, but hold back the sub when the level is increased and the driver is getting into the danger zone. I think it is probably a new name for something already in existence. My old B&W PV1d has it, and so do SVS subs. Maybe Kef have tweeked theirs a bit further, but the idea is not new. So a frequency and level dependent limiter would be my guess.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
From what I understand the iBX technology is similar to what other brands also use to push the extension at lower levels, but hold back the sub when the level is increased and the driver is getting into the danger zone. I think it is probably a new name for something already in existence. My old B&W PV1d has it, and so do SVS subs. Maybe Kef have tweeked theirs a bit further, but the idea is not new. So a frequency and level dependent limiter would be my guess.

it's just a LF boost, and isn't level dependent. actually this KEF is pretty "dumb" as it doesn't even have a limiter

alexikari

it's just a LF boost, and isn't level dependent. actually this KEF is pretty "dumb" as it doesn't even have a limiter
Hi.
Do you known Polk HTS 10? Currently I am in doubt about it and the Kube 10b.
My uses are for music, movies and games (40%, 30%, 30% respectively).
Would you recommend Kube for movies like Star Wars or Transformers (many explosions and colisions)?

3125b

Major Contributor
Do you known Polk HTS 10? Currently I am in doubt about it and the Kube 10b.
The Polk has less LF extension, SPL is similar at higher frequencies. The KEF is better.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Do you known Polk HTS 10?

no

Would you recommend Kube for movies like Star Wars or Transformers (many explosions and colisions)?

I have the 12b and it is enough for powerful explosions in my small (29.05 m3) room, but I can't talk about it in bigger rooms. subs depend so much on the room.
if you have a big room ported subs are better for explosions.

alexikari

The Polk has less LF extension, SPL is similar at higher frequencies. The KEF is better.
But for games and movies, is still good as Polk HTS?
I mean, on youtube there are a lot of videos shown Polk and movies (for me seems very good), but nearly no one for Kube. So I cant compare.
I want to make a 2.1 system with my Edifier S3000 Pro + Sound Blaster.

alexikari

no

I have the 12b and it is enough for powerful explosions in my small (29.05 m3) room, but I can't talk about it in bigger rooms. subs depend so much on the room.
if you have a big room ported subs are better for explosions.
Ah, no. My room is only 4 x 4 m. But everyone says that due Kube is a sealed subwoofer it has less "boom" sound for movies. I am new in this matter.
Another concern is about durability, because there are a lot of complains about problems about Polk HTS on Amazon reviews.

AND I need a sub that have bass like similar to the speakers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom