• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

New Member. KEF R5s but want smaller setup.

dispo5796

Hi all, an audiophile friend connected me to this sub and you all ensure it's packed with invaluable information. I recently bought a pair of KEF R5 towers off FB marketplace for $1100USD cause I thought it was a great deal and I loved the R3 metas in store. Well, come to realize I work at my desk 8+ hours most days and grossly overestimated the space I had to work with. I'm super happy with the R5s, they're just too big. I'm considering selling them and getting the LSX II which are on sale for $999 and pairing them with an SVS SB-1000 Pro sub. I Just can't listen normally at volumes that let the R5's stretch their legs. Should I be considering anything else.? I'm currently using Qobuz off my PC through a Steinberger audio interface. Would love your thoughts. Am new to this hobby, though I've owned a pair of Quad 11L's for 2 decades. Thanks in advance!

alex-z

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For a desk setup, the LSX II paired with a subwoofer will be good. You could also look for a used pair of the original LS50 and use an external amp.

Last edited:
OP
D

dispo5796

So I'm not opposed to passives with an amp, but currently my integrated hybrid amp has bit the dust and I'm just running a Yamaha RX-V477 AVR receiever to power them. So I'd like to spend around $1500 to either go 1) new passives + better amp OR 2) active speakers with a sub. I'm doing 90% nearfield listening at lower volumes. Thanks for your input Alex!

MarkS

Major Contributor
If the Yamaha is working properly, a "better" amp will not do anything for the sound (if that's what you're after).

Active speaker recommendations by price and measurements:

Ditto, passive:

OP
D

dispo5796

@MarkS , are you suggesting I won't notice a difference in sound quality running, let's say the same pair of speakers, like my current R5s, through a better amp? I was eyeballing the Cambridge audio AX85 I think it is, it's an integrated with 85w per channel.

And thanks for the links!

tw 2022

@MarkS , are you suggesting I won't notice a difference in sound quality running, let's say the same pair of speakers, like my current R5s, through a better amp? I was eyeballing the Cambridge audio AX85 I think it is, it's an integrated with 85w per channel.

i don't know for sure what the poster was saying , but that's pretty accurate in general... it's about the ability to drive the speakers to volume ( volume you listen at).. in a small room at moderate levels an avr is generally more than enough... amps don't have a sound signature...

MarkS

Major Contributor

Correct. Decades of properly controlled blind listening tests have shown that the tiny measured differences in solid-state amps (operated below clipping) are almost always inaudible to almost all listeners (especially over speakers as opposed to headphones).

Now many here like to chase better measured performance (even if they can't hear it), and of course better feature set, better looks, whatever, can legitimately impact a buying decision.

For better sound, persuing some sort of room correction is far more likely to be a better value for money spent.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
Just my 2 cents, but, my recent experience with an ADAM Audio T7V and T10V system is that I prefer near field monitors for near field listening. You may want to give studio monitors a shot.

OP
D

dispo5796

@VMAT4 is this the active system you would recommend given my budget? Seems like a great price for the T7Vs and T10V when you but em together, well under budget.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
@VMAT4 is this the active system you would recommend given my budget? Seems like a great price for the T7Vs and T10V when you but em together, well under budget.
You would need a pre amp & DAC. I use a Topping DX5 Lite. The above mentioned Neumann KH 120 monitors have built in DSP for equalization and phase correction. That will bring an audio interface and mic into the picture if you want to implement it. Or, there is Sonarworks Sound ID software that will work with the ADAM Audio monitors. But, there again you'll need a mic (the Sonarworks mic) and an audio interface. I have the Sonarworks software but have not implemented it yet. You may want to message b7676 about the Neumanns. But equalized and phase corrected sounds like many an audiophile's dream.

Last edited:
OP
D

dispo5796

I currently run my computer into and audio interface so I think I’d be good (Steinberger UR22).

VMAT4

Forum Donor
The Neumanns look as if they take digital (spdif/coax) input.

VMAT4

Forum Donor
The Neumanns look as if they take digital (spdif/coax) input.
Excuse me, the Neumann KH 120 II take digital input and have DSP. The KH 120A do not have DSP and take analogue only input.

Top Bottom