• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Ci200RR-THX In-ceiling/In-Wall Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 29 18.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 80 51.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 46 29.3%

• Total voters

lazycat

This speaker, it can't adjust the angle. As a sky sound, does this affect its effect ?

Last edited:

Ellebob

Forum Donor
You are correct! If one uses a speaker like this you don't want to put it 45° in front or behind you. You would need to make it closer to overhead.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are correct! If one uses a speaker like this you don't want to put it 45° in front or behind you. You would need to make it closer to overhead.
Not necessarily. What makes this speaker a particularly good option is its frequency response off axis. Note the frequency response in blue (at 40 degrees off axis). It is very good And actually better tHan on axis.. So yes, it seems to me this is a very good atmos in ceiling speaker, even though you are flush mounting it in the ceiling. Having two mounted 40-45 degrees forward and rearward of the main listening position, I bet these would do very nicely for Atmos.
7C6AF994-3A31-48B1-9BD4-4E7B0A1E2CAB.png

Chester

Not necessarily. What makes this speaker a particularly good option is its frequency response off axis. Note the frequency response in blue (at 40 degrees off axis). It is very good And actually better tHan on axis.. So yes, it seems to me this is a very good atmos in ceiling speaker, even though you are flush mounting it in the ceiling. Having two mounted 40-45 degrees forward and rearward of the main listening position, I bet these would do very nicely for Atmos.View attachment 308364

So would I be correct in assuming that if I mounted 2 of these 40 degrees in front of a kitchen island standing position (where I cook), I could get reasonably good 2 channel sound? I’m not expecting it to match my dedicated 2 channel setup, but should sound good enough for cooking music?

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So would I be correct in assuming that if I mounted 2 of these 40 degrees in front of a kitchen island standing position (where I cook), I could get reasonably good 2 channel sound? I’m not expecting it to match my dedicated 2 channel setup, but should sound good enough for cooking music?
BAH! Good enough for cooking music! :D :p

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

zorax2

As much as I love these Ci200RR-THX for ATMOS which I have installed in my own home theater, unless you find them used or at an exceptional price, I'd probably go with Kef's next tier down in their Ci speaker line.

If you've got extra $$$ - definitely go for it but it might be overkill for a kitchen installation. YMMV.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Not necessarily. What makes this speaker a particularly good option is its frequency response off axis. Note the frequency response in blue (at 40 degrees off axis). It is very good And actually better tHan on axis.. So yes, it seems to me this is a very good atmos in ceiling speaker, even though you are flush mounting it in the ceiling. Having two mounted 40-45 degrees forward and rearward of the main listening position, I bet these would do very nicely for Atmos.View attachment 308364
I have used these exact speakers and it has not been a good Atmos speaker without moving it closer. People often forget that many theaters have more than one listening position and 40 degrees is not enough to make this work well. This is especially true in hones with typical 8-10 foot ceilings where the angle between seats becomes greater.

Angling the speakers and aiming towards the listening area works well to get better coverage of the listening area. In the case of in ceiling speakers I would look for models that angle at least 30 degrees and can rotate to get better coverage. Even with speakers that angle you still might have to move them closer to get better coverage especially with more than one row of seating.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For cooking music, I have a mono Sonos speaker.

Kurly

Thanks so much all, for the review and advice! Really helps with decision making. Aiming to obtain 14 of these one day.

I have a crazy cinema project based on the new Denon A1H and 9.2.8 (with only 6 heights active at once). The amp can switch between the three main types. So switches off some.

Will comment early next year when the project is finished and I've had time to experience them.

I know ATMOS is generally 4 height but DTS:X pro and IMAX enhanced will have some great fully object based movies eventually that the extra will utilise.

Yes, expensive speakers but great value (if you can afford) too. I'm having to buy second hand until I get a full set eventually. I've started with discounted the lower tier Ci200QR / QS ones for heights mainly and will swap them out as and when I get them.

Kef have a recommended box depth minimum to maximum, and this can be the space in the walls or a made boxes. I'm personally building boxes that attach to a fully sound proofed room (room in a room) as I don't want to pierce the inner room.

I'm matching my left and right with R7 and centre with R6, then eventually the rest with the RR/RS ones. and 2x SVS SB3000

90% of the time it'll just be me and the Mrs but I've decided to tilt my heights a small amount to accommodate for three rows of potential party seating. Maybe even cross firing but I would like to build it flexible enough to try adjusting the tilt.

Let's see! :)

Reactions: exm

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if the reason these are so expensive is a misguided attempt to keep DIYers from buying them as stand alone drivers.

ckett

I just purchased the 200s and they are really great for Atmos. They sound more open and even given their concentric design. I wouldnt have them too far off axis since they cannot be angled. But like them better than my previous in ceiling where they could be angled.

thebizz

This is a little off topic but I am looking for some atmos speakers and the angle to the listening position is 40 degrees. Do you think ceiling speakers with pointable tweeters or KEF QR range of speakers (which share the uni-q style) would be better? The polar responses are not as good as these thx ones. I haven't seen any useful data on pivoting tweeter in ceilings. An example is Q INSTALL QI65CP. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom