• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF Ci200RR-THX In-ceiling/In-Wall Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 29 18.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 80 51.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 46 29.3%

• Total voters

lewdish

I hate to rain on everybody's parade...but allow me to rain on the parade just a little bit. ;)

This is indeed a very nice speaker. Unfortunately, no amount of excellence from a speaker can make up for the fundamental problems caused by pointing it the wrong way. There are very good reasons virtually nobody in the industry recommends not aiming atmos speakers at the audience. Doing so will reduce sound quality significantly.

The first issue is if the speaker is EQ'd for flat direct sound at the MPL, it will be sending elevated HF energy into a large portion of the room. Yes, the direct sound is the most important, but when so much HF energy is sent into the room (especially with 4 or 6 of them) that can be too much. The recommendation is typically to not try and get flat direct sound at the MLP but to strike a compromise, living with duller direct sound at the MLP to keep from overwhelming the room with HF energy (also a common issue for wide channels).

The second issue is covering the audience with similar sound from the speaker. Multichannel/immersive is typically aimed at being capable of providing a good experience to more than one person. If this speaker was pointed at the MLP, think about what happens when you move to different seats--you go from 0 degrees to 10, 20, 30 degrees off axis and...almost nothing happens! You still get great sound! Very slightly lowered HF but not much, and you still get pretty good, pretty flat direct sound. That would be fantastic.

But when the MLP is already starting at 40 degrees off axis, movement has much larger consequences. You are now moving to 50, 60, 70 degrees off axis. This results in a pretty massive drop in the HF giving a very dull sound for that seat. But if you move the other way, you're going to 30, 20 and 10 degrees giving you significantly elevated highs and a shrill sound. That's not what you want.

That's a massive difference in the sound of the speaker depending where you sit. Not ideal. Not even good.

I implore KEF to make a version of these with an angled baffle--something similar to the Andrew Jones setup shown earlier. Yes, that will probably screw up the spin, making it look much less pretty. But it will sound so much better in the real world when used as a ceiling speaker for immersive audio.
This is true but the off axis is already pretty good though and arguably better than the on axis. I think it should still be fine regardless if its angled or not. I agree that an angled design makes sense, but I think these should be fine regardless of placement, the only thing that could be better is if the bass response was tipped up a little more instead of rolled off, for atmos channels Its not the biggest issue, but it sure would be nice if they did.

lewdish

I bet in the next year or two KEF updates this in ceiling speaker with "meta".
KEF has a slow trickle of adding meta to models for the last couple years.
They already do, it looks quite extreme :D , the alleged -6db point is a little lower at 28hz as well, Not 100% sure but it looks like maybe its a 3 way coaxial design? We'll have to see if anyone ever does a high end build w/ them and sends em in for measuring.

Edit* I think it is a 3-way design since the specs list 2 different crossover points.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
The problem as Jon stated besides too much high frequency energy, placing the speaker at 45 degrees will only work for one seat. If you have multiple seats and possibly a second row these will be too far off axis for good sound. I have used these on an installation that we got called to calibrate. We ended up moving the speakers closer to the listening area get a better Atmos presentation. It would be great if Kef made an angled version.

Dolby made an error when they put out the consumer guide showing in ceiling speakers at 45 degrees and not showing them angled. They don't even follow that in their own demo rooms where they angle the speakers towards the listeners. Saying that these are bright on axis so they should be good if placed off axis is not the best method to get the best sound and that would only work for one seat. You would be better off aiming the speakers and using EQ to correct the highs. That would be the best method so everyone in the listening area gets a good presentation.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The first issue is if the speaker is EQ'd for flat direct sound at the MPL, it will be sending elevated HF energy into a large portion of the room.
If no one is sitting there, then it is not that material. The floor in many theaters is carpeted which means it absorbs a lot of the on-axis high frequency energy. What will bounce around will be off axis response which would be similar to what the seating area gets.

Mind you, I have not heard these speakers in this configuration :). Just arguing on basis of theory.

Jon AA

Forum Donor
Just arguing on basis of theory.
Yeah, but it's getting close to something of a "reach." ;) Unless it's a one seat theater, somebody will be at least closer to on-axis and somebody is going to be farther off axis. When the starting point is 40 degrees, they'll get a much larger variation from the MLP than if the starting point was 0 degrees.

All that above was only speaking of the frequency response at each seat. I didn't even mention imaging yet. Trinnov is really big on aiming the speakers for that reason alone:

"Shower mounting" they say is for simplistic installations and will come with significant imaging and localization compromises:

TrinnShower.jpg

Pointing at the MLP gives best experience for that seat:

TrinnMLP.jpg

They even take it a step farther, saying the best average experience for several seats is is had through "cross-firing:"

TrinnCross.jpg

I put a pretty high level of trust in Trinnov for recommendations of this sort expertise-wise and also being free from bias--just in case people might be suspicious of installers (Grimanni, Hales, JBL Synthesis, etc) because they're also trying to sell you speakers/and or installation. Trinnov doesn't do that, they just want it to sound good in the end (and not give their tuners/integrators fits).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
"Shower mounting" they say is for simplistic installations and will come with significant imaging and localization compromises:
Same issue exists and then some with surround speakers which in smaller rooms, are much closer to some people than others. Cross firing is the classic intensity trading method so I can see why they praise it.

The problem with angled drivers is not that they are angled. It is that by doing so, they create reflections/comb filtering. And have poor on-axis response to boot. Take the KEF in this review and angle it and you have a proper version of that. Here is the response of Klipsch I recently measured:

index.php

That on-axis response in red/blue is not great and off axis is horrible.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Same issue exists and then some with surround speakers which in smaller rooms, are much closer to some people than others. Cross firing is the classic intensity trading method so I can see why they praise it.

The problem with angled drivers is not that they are angled. It is that by doing so, they create reflections/comb filtering. And have poor on-axis response to boot. Take the KEF in this review and angle it and you have a proper version of that. Here is the response of Klipsch I recently measured:

index.php

That on-axis response in red/blue is not great and off axis is horrible.
So what is the best way to install them on the ceiling?

Would they work if I put them in a box to wall mount them rather than in the walls?

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So what is the best way to install them on the ceiling?

Would they work if I put them in a box to wall mount them rather than in the walls?
Why not just mount regular speakers? That's always going to be better than ones that were designed to fit in a tight space, all else equal.

This is also a very common solution in Atmos mixing studios.

Jon AA

Forum Donor
Yeah, I agree with all that. It's a very difficult application for a speaker. In order to perform well, it really needs to be pointed at the listeners. But by doing so, you're generally going to have to live with poorer performance. I think this KEF would be fantastic for this application if angled--but it would likely measure worse. However, the tradeoff would be worth it for the best overall performance.

Why not just mount regular speakers? That's always going to be better than ones that were designed to fit in a tight space, all else equal.

This is also a very common solution in Atmos mixing studios.

That is a good solution, but it's not without its own compromises. If a two channel guy says he wants for his dream system to take a couple regular but high quality bookshelves and mount them to the wall in front of him, a bunch of people will jump in and say he is compromising the performance of the speakers by mounting them on the wall. And they are correct.

The same compromises exist when you do it on a ceiling--some pretty nasty SBIR ripples will result. Yes, they can be mitigated somewhat (probably at least a couple inches of treatment covering the ceiling over the listening area depending upon the exact setup) so it's not a big deal for a studio or a ground-up theater build. But it can be a bit much for somebody who wants good Atmos in an existing room (in addition to the idea of having speakers hanging down from the ceiling). That's more of a studio/mancave with high ceilings only type of solution in my opinion. Mounting the speakers flush eliminates the SBIR from the ceiling, so that needs to be kept in mind when comparing spins.

Dan1210

Glad to see this speaker reviewed, thanks Amirm! I have been looking at this model for quite some time but haven't bit the bullet yet.
In my dedicated room I am running the Klipsch Thx Ultra 2 set, they sound magnificent and really do have some decent output. The problem I am having is the in ceilings I am using are about 10db lower, for my in ceiling speakers I am using the Dali Phantom E8 which sound ok but don't quite have the output of the rest of my system.

jimk1963

Blackdevil77

Looked at this one, $2,500 per in-ceiling speaker is more than Ci3160 in-walls cost ($2K ea). Even discounted, hard to understand the pricing. Also, the KEF reference theaters I’ve found online all use the Ci200RR, haven’t found one yet that even mentions this Ci250RRM. I’m sure it’s great, with a 10” woofer and meta materials, but 2.5x the Ci200RR seems pretty niche.

Looks extremely interesting but I agree the price is steep. Looks like it has an extremely wide dispersion. A lot of the money spent here is probably in the design they went with to achieve the low frequency extension. I'm more interested on the mid/high frequency output capabilities when a high pass filter is used.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Looks extremely interesting but I agree the price is steep. Looks like it has an extremely wide dispersion. A lot of the money spent here is probably in the design they went with to achieve the low frequency extension. I'm more interested on the mid/high frequency output capabilities when a high pass filter is used.
Probably makes more sense when not using a subwoofer! But in a home theater with four subs these might be overkill!
I wonder when they will release the other in walls with meta material! The Reference line in wall is too rich for my blood! Plus when you sell your house do you take them out of the walls?

Adi777

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Atmos speakers don't have to be angled?
Does it depend on how many rows of seats we are planning?
I'm only planning one. There will probably be 4 SCL-5's or 8's, but maybe some Kef's worth considering as well?
The designer of the room will probably knock the Kef Atmos idea out of my head...

Sammy135

Hi Everyone

Just finished my bed layer setup and looking to upgrade to atmos. Using r3 for Left & right, and LS50 meta for surround and rear surround. Seating distance is 9.5 away, 65 inch screen, 30 degree view angle pc monitor setup. Room is about 14x15 feet, 8 ft ceilings.

Only 1 seat matters, my computer chair.

Looking for advice on 4 atmos speakers.

Ci200 RR, only because price is so similar to Ci160RR, might aswell spend the extra to get the bigger and better one.

or

CI200 QR, or Ci160QR. Price difference is 50$, so again, might as well spend the extra to get the bigger and better one.

Can I get some suggestions on the QR vs the RR for my use case scenario. I feel like the RR is a bit much to spend of effect channels, but also want to understand the cutbacks of the QR.

Top Bottom