• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali LP-6/LP-8 V2 (2nd Wave) studio monitors released

Slyman

You do realize that IN-5’s cost 75% more than LP-6v2’s right?

If you have US$400/pair, get LP-6v2.
If you have US$700/pair, get IN-5.
Yes sorry i may be wording my questions wrong i'm not specifically thinking about price its just the confusion that arises from the LP-6 being a higher rated speaker than IN-8 v1 but according to Erin and Kali themselves the IN-5 being superior... + only the Kh80 surpasses at 1000 usd.

egeesman

My monitors which were replaced because of a persistent crackling sound on some most low to mid frequencies are doing the same thing, again! Willing to accept this is somehow user error but I've isolated them from the surface they are on, same thing, AB'd with my old monitors, they don't do it. This is very annoying and time consuming... surprised nobody else has had any issues, unless its something I'm doing wrong. Here are two examples: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1N6eLm2saK_TENz34qttx2SxJkrZqx_YP?usp=sharing

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My monitors which were replaced because of a persistent crackling sound on some most low to mid frequencies are doing the same thing, again! Willing to accept this is somehow user error but I've isolated them from the surface they are on, same thing, AB'd with my old monitors, they don't do it. This is very annoying and time consuming... surprised nobody else has had any issues, unless its something I'm doing wrong. Here are two examples: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1N6eLm2saK_TENz34qttx2SxJkrZqx_YP?usp=sharing

How did you record these? On quick listen, I'm not hearing anything. And I used my Kali LP-6s.

egeesman

How did you record these? On quick listen, I'm not hearing anything. And I used my Kali LP-6s.
Ok now I’m going nuts I just listened in my car and it’s not doing it, so maybe it’s my interface or daw? It’s not cpu crackles. I’ll try and record with my phone to get a sample of it.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok now I’m going nuts I just listened in my car and it’s not doing it, so maybe it’s my interface or daw? It’s not cpu crackles. I’ll try and record with my phone to get a sample of it.

Probably some kind of EMI problem. I'm not an expert on how to solve them.

egeesman

Sounds fine here too.
Screen Shot 2022-03-01 at 12.59.15 PM.png

Buyer beware, I spent nearly 3 months feeling like I was nuts, had them replaced by sweetwater only to have the same problem happen. Turns out it was a known issue with the firmware on the amps.

MachOne

Buyer beware, I spent nearly 3 months feeling like I was nuts, had them replaced by sweetwater only to have the same problem happen. Turns out it was a known issue with the firmware on the amps.
Glad they sorted it out and confirmed what you were hearing.

georgew2

You do realize that IN-5’s cost 75% more than LP-6v2’s right?

If you have US$400/pair, get LP-6v2.
If you have US$700/pair, get IN-5.
I still can't understand :/.

If lp 6v2 has better preference score, doesn't that means that it's a better speaker than in5?

preference score includes price for the result?

Coin3

@georgew2 See the post linked below from Kali. Also, in the post they quoted, sweetchaos goes over some of the differences between the IN-5 and LP-6 v2. I don't really agree with saying that the IN-5 is better just because it costs more, though. You would have to do a blind test comparing both speakers to determine if the subjective claims about soundstage depth and such are really valid or not.

Astrozombie

Forum Donor
I wonder if the Bass would be enough on the IN-5 or if i would prefer the LP-8. I don't really need to be upgrading in the first place from my Kef Q-100.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I still can't understand :/.

If lp 6v2 has better preference score, doesn't that means that it's a better speaker than in5?

preference score includes price for the result?
Preference score is juat an estimate as to how well a speaker would be liked by the average person in far field usage, based on Harman's research. It does not apply to near field usage, nor is it a guarantee that one with a higher score will sound better to you, or in your room, than one with a lower score. It is generally accepted that scores within 1 point of each other can be considered pretty much equal. On the other hand, a really low scoring speaker--say a 2 or less--will almost always sound worse than a high scoring speaker, even near field.

Crane

Forum Donor
View attachment 189977
Cant really play the file but had similar issue which was fixed connected through XLR. It would happen regardless of what system i connected it to.

David_M

I have a pair of LP6-v2s sitting on my computer desk, in between my 48" LG C1 monitor TV. The speakers are ~ 4.6-ft apart, right next to the sides of my TV monitor. They are also 8.5-ft away from the back wall. I'm seated 4.5 feet away.

Using REW and a Umik-1 microphone, I'm experiencing a precipitous drop in low end FR starting at 150Hz. I can only get the FR Erin got if the mic is on-axis and 1-ft away. Low end FR starts to drop at 2.5-ft on-axis and even worse at my MLP. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Has anyone ever measured the frequency response of the LP6-v2 at their listening position? Erin's website shows no such drop, though I don't know how far his measurement mic was from the speakers.

I'm also new to REW but I don't think it's user error...

Kali LP6 v2 FR.jpg

Longshan

I have a pair of LP6-v2s sitting on my computer desk, in between my 48" LG C1 monitor TV. The speakers are ~ 4.6-ft apart, right next to the sides of my TV monitor. They are also 8.5-ft away from the back wall. I'm seated 4.5 feet away.

Using REW and a Umik-1 microphone, I'm experiencing a precipitous drop in low end FR starting at 150Hz. I can only get the FR Erin got if the mic is on-axis and 1-ft away. Low end FR starts to drop at 2.5-ft on-axis and even worse at my MLP. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Has anyone ever measured the frequency response of the LP6-v2 at their listening position? Erin's website shows no such drop, though I don't know how far his measurement mic was from the speakers.

View attachment 190908
Looks similar to my LP-6 chart.

Attachments

• Frequency Response Oct 15 2021.jpg
    Frequency Response Oct 15 2021.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 149

David_M

Looks similar to my LP-6 chart.
Damn, this is criminal!!! How come no one in this forum mentioned this before? I presume many bought this speaker based on reviews here and on Erin's site?

So, we don't have a speaker with an extension of 40Hz, but 150Hz in real life. I feel very deceived. I've just contacted Kali Audio and am waiting for their response, but I wonder what they say to justify this behavior.

LightninBoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Damn, this is criminal!!! How come no one in this forum mentioned this before? I presume many bought this speaker based on reviews here and on Erin's site?

So, we don't have a speaker with an extension of 40Hz, but 150Hz in real life. I feel very deceived. I've just contacted Kali Audio and am waiting for their response, but I wonder what they say to justify this behavior.

Relax. Its called Speaker Boundary Interference Response (SBIR) and its talked about in several thread of the forum. It is a function of your room and where you place your speakers. All speakers are subject to it, except those like Dutch and Dutch 8C which are designed to cancel the low frequency reflections coming from the front wall.

You will need to experiment with placement and possibly room treatments to fix it. Subs also help mask it with careful integration and EQ. This is a very big topic and I am far from the expert. I've just been dealing with it lately in my own systems.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor

View attachment 190908

The room is in control below the transition zone. There is no low bass on my Neumann KH120s as well because of the way they are set in my room. A sub was needed to “fix” this giant hole.

Top Bottom