• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali LP-6/LP-8 V2 (2nd Wave) studio monitors released

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It’s the LP-6v2

So a direct Klippel measurement comparison with Amir's review of the LP-6v1:

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
So a direct Klippel measurement comparison with Amir's review of the LP-6v1:

I reckon so.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Erin shared the teaser of his upcoming review of the LP-6v2:
1635461393722.png

Took a screenshot. ;)

In comparison, here's LP-6v1:
SPL%20Horizontal.jpg

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
It looks like they cleaned up the midrange substantially. But 2-13khz looks shelved down too much by like 2dB, that is strange.

Don't forget to consider the DI. Generally speaking, we know that a very wide radiation speaker with a flat on-axis response will have an estimated in-room response that plateaus and thus *can* result in a bright sound in the seated position. We've seen tons and tons of evidence of this.

IOW, don't look at one response. Look at them all and considered how the summed in-situ response may be affected. You may find that the trade-off of a slightly sloped on-axis response combined with a wide dispersion design will yield the better overall sound to you at the seated position.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
I'm most interested to see how it compares to the JBL 308p.

I can't speak to the 308p but I can tell you the LP-6v2 is a much better buy than the 305p if for no other reason than the 305p is susceptible to internal resonance at the baffle (something that many besides myself have complained about). But the 305p is also cheaper.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can't speak to the 308p but I can tell you the LP-6v2 is a much better buy than the 305p if for no other reason than the 305p is susceptible to internal resonance at the baffle (something that many besides myself have complained about). But the 305p is also cheaper.
Do you have the lp8 and lp6 v 2?

dfuller

Major Contributor
I compared the two recently (like a couple days ago) - the Kalis sound much better.

Slyman

I'm not sure if i understand Amir and Erins rating correct, but the LP6 is alrdy rated highly (score of 5,2). If this fixed the hiss, does that mean for nearfield mixing/mastering that this speaker is the best for its price in the budget class? Better than both adam t5v, jbl 305/306 line?

I mean next step up is the Neumann kh80, genelec 8030c, dynaudio lyd 5, MTM and perhaps Kali In5. But in the "budget" price range will this officially be the best option?

Asking since i'm not sure about the ratings and the review system.

OP
sweetchaos

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Preference Scores (if score goes to 10):
Kali LP-6v1: 5.1 => Recommended by Amir, with noticeable hiss.
JBL 305p MKII: 5.0 => Recommended by Amir, with noticeable hiss.
JBL 306p MKII: 5.1 => Recommended by Amir, with noticeable hiss.
Adam T5V: 4.3 => Highly recommended by Amir, with less noticeable hiss.

Looking at the shared LP-6v2 frequency response, I would expect it to get a higher preference rating than v1.
Since Kali has largely solved the hiss problem, I would expect the LP-6v2 to be a logical choice in the budget category... competing with Adam T5V.
We'll find out how good the Kali is in a couple of days, when Erin posts the official review.

Preference score is one part of the equation of what makes a good speaker, but not the whole part.
Preference score doesn't take into account distortion handling, loudness handling, hiss, etc.
That's why Amir gives panther ratings, since he's evaluating every part of the speaker (ignoring the price) and giving a final verdict based on everything.
Erin also gives a final rating based on all the factors, either saying "recommended" or "not recommended", that's usually written in his review.

Last edited:

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure if i understand Amir and Erins rating correct, but the LP6 is alrdy rated highly (score of 5,2). If this fixed the hiss, does that mean for nearfield mixing/mastering that this speaker is the best for its price in the budget class? Better than both adam t5v, jbl 305/306 line?

I mean next step up is the Neumann kh80, genelec 8030c, dynaudio lyd 5, MTM and perhaps Kali In5. But in the "budget" price range will this officially be the best option?

Asking since i'm not sure about the ratings and the review system.

The preference score only takes into account bass extension and the smoothness of the dispersion, generally speaking. It doesn't take into account output levels or build quality and so on.

Of the speakers you mentioned, I would take the kalis over any of them besides the genelecs. The kh80 are superbly designed speakers but very small and limited in output.

Really, Kali owns the budget monitor category. Adam and JBL are competitive but the LP6 and LP8 are good, and the IN5 and IN8 are also good for the money.

One option I see on sweetwater is packages with Adam monitors with a matching sub. Those would also be a great set up if you want to save some desk space.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I believe that the preference score is influenced highly by horizontal dispersion and is specifically for far field use, whereas Amir evaluate small monitors in near field, as they were designed to be used and where hiss will be more audible. I personally have seen very little correlation between preference score and general SUBJECTIVE preference in near field use.

dfuller

Major Contributor
I believe that the preference score is influenced highly by horizontal dispersion and is specifically for far field use, whereas Amir evaluate small monitors in near field, as they were designed to be used and where hiss will be more audible. I personally have seen very little correlation between preference score and general SUBJECTIVE preference in near field use.
The preference score (and PIR) are meant for relatively untreated rooms listening midfield or farther. In a room with heavily reduced early reflections and listening nearfield (as studio monitors like these are intended) the LW response becomes considerably more important.

Slyman

Top Bottom