• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio LP-UNF

3125b

Major Contributor
Meh, the score is a way to put a single grade on speakers based on far-field use. It doesn't tell the whole story and it's not really what these speakers are meant for.

dafreaking

Meh, the score is a way to put a single grade on speakers based on far-field use. It doesn't tell the whole story and it's not really what these speakers are meant for.

Apologies. I was trying to pick between the JBL LSR 30X series and these Kali LP-UNF's. The Kalis and the 308s are for the same price here locally and the 306 and 205 are maybe 10%-15% lower. The Kali does have the "advantage" of an inbuilt DAC which will be beneficial in my use case since only my front audio works at the moment and I was considering purchasing something like the SMSL SU1 dac if I were to buy the JBLs. My main usage is on desk listening (Techno + PsyTrance, so yes BASS is important) and video editing (my bread and butter).

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I
I was trying to pick between the JBL LSR 30X series and these Kali LP-UNF's. The Kalis and the 308s are for the same price here locally and the 306 and 205 are maybe 10%-15% lower. ... My main usage is on desk listening (Techno + PsyTrance, so yes BASS is important) and video editing (my bread and butter).
If you need bass and don't plan on a subwoofer and have the room I'd probably go for the 308s.

dafreaking

I

If you need bass and don't plan on a subwoofer and have the room I'd probably go for the 308s.

I will be adding a budget subwoofer under my desk soon (to be used only while listening to music). I have a fairly large monitor at 43" and my current speakers are approximately 125 cms away from my head. If i were to go with the JBLs then i'd definitely need a dac

thank you

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Of those speakers, if space is not an issue than definitely get the 308s for the same price and spend a little extra for a decent DAC. We install both Kali and JBL where I work and generally I would give the edge to Kali if comparing similar models, like the 308 to the LP-8 which in the US are about the same price. The 308 vs the LP-UNF I would definitely get the 308.

If space is an issue, it is a bit of a toss up between the 305 and LP-UNF. The LP-UNF being a little smaller and but 305 can go louder. Both are very good but you do need a DAC with the 305.

dafreaking

I will place these on stands just off my desk which is 5 feet wide so space is not an issue. I also just realized that I won't be able to use Kali's inbuilt DAC if I want to integrate a subwoofer.

The Kali LP 8 is almost 2x the price of the JBL 308 here.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
I would definitely go with the 308s for the price and performance if space is not an issue. Amazing how prices differ so much in different countries.

dafreaking

So in the end I ended up ordering the LP-UNF for a few reasons. (they should reach tomorrow)

1. The cost of the JBL went up for reliable sellers. The Kali's ended up being 10% cheaper. It's not a lot but adds to the budget of the Sub + Dac in the future.
2. While they were going to be used on stands this posed a few challenges. Firstly the 308s were a bit too big and heavy for the stands that I currently own. Since my monitor is stuck to the wall I was findings the positioning of the stands to be at a very weird angle.
3. The upfront additional costs with the JBL. The Dac, cables and possibly new stands would have been at least 30% more than the cost of using the Kalis.
4. I feel in the short term I could put some of the money that I haven't spent towards slightly better accoustics.
5. The Kalis will probably hold their value a bit longer than the JBLs I feel. Since quality control with them is supposed to be better by all accounts.

Shoot, the more I read my reasons the more I'm confused now. Oh well

Ellebob

Forum Donor
I will be interested to hear your evaluation once you get some time with them.

dafreaking

Just unboxed these after they were delivered last night.

Super initial thoughts. Been only 20 mins

1. The cable between the two speakers is the silliest stupidest idea ever. It's stiff, bulky and the connectors are really loose. Like I know this is their "budget" speaker but really Kali?

2. Cable length is useless. Good luck placing these close to a wall.

3. The least they could have done was added a usb cable to it

As far as the sound is concerned. A noticeable improvement over the current Edifier 1850Dbs that I've been using. Played just 15 mins of "music" till now. I haven't even placed them properly. They are just on my desk next to each other.

Have a shoot the next few days so will add more thoughts hopefully on Sunday

Last edited:

Cool Runnings

Just got my Kali LP-UNFs. Set it up as a nearfield (1metre) office system with the sound coming from behind me at my desk. Wiim Pro --> Topping E70V --> Kali LP-UNF + Audioengine S6 Sub. Didn't change any of the factory settings. Been listening for maybe 2 hours. My initial impressions comparing with previous set-up with Spendor Classic 3/5s with Topping PA7+ amp:

1. Sounds very nice very neutral. Much better clarity in the highs. I wouldnt say it's better than the Spendors on the mids. But the bass is definitely deeper without the sub. Overall SQ beats the Spendors by a good margin. Very compelling value esp for a $300 speaker.
  2. The Kali built-in amp power and SPL headroom seems even better than previous Spendor + Topping PA7+ set-up even though it is much lower wattage.
  3. Looks are also neutral. I don't love it nor do I hate it. It's just there and doesn't make a statement. But the size is perfect for small spaces.
  4. Wished it had sub-out and bass management. But not a big deal. I can work around that.
  5. Wished it had better quality and longer connection between main and secondary speakers.
For very minor complaints, I think this is the best quality and value near field speakers I have ever used. Handily beats the Spendors, Sound Artist, Triangle and Dali speakers that came before it.

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
REW measurements of the LP-UNF speakers at 80 cm with tweeters spaced 80 cm apart, with the bass set in the +2 dB position, treble in the -2 dB position.

I started with the DIP switches all in the down position, which according to some info is "flat" with no correction for desk or rear wall reflections.

It was clear from that initial measurement that about all it would take is adding the bass boost and cutting the treble to get a reasonably flat response. That dip at 120Hz or so is a node so nothing can be done about that.

1711309472793.png

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Switching to 1/6 octave smoothing to show the bass fall off--they actually get down to 42 Hz at the recommended listening distance.

index.php
Your images don't load.

Please one of these buttons to attach images:
Screenshot_20240326-000955_Chrome~2.png

staticV3

Master Contributor
so they didnt built them for pairing with a sub ?
Correct.

You'll have to use a sub with built-in crossover (e.g. Kali WS-6.2), or an external crossover like a miniDSP to expand the LP-UNF to 2.1

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just unboxed these after they were delivered last night.

Super initial thoughts. Been only 20 mins

1. The cable between the two speakers is the silliest stupidest idea ever. It's stiff, bulky and the connectors are really loose. Like I know this is their "budget" speaker but really Kali?

I agree that the cable is not optimal by any means, but the connections on my pair are very solid. The two prongs above the contacts "click" when they are fully inserted into either speaker socket.

unf phoenix.JPG

dafreaking

It's quite weird. If I put it straight in then it kinda stays snug.

So the cable length and stiffness really put a spanner in things due to the size and design of my desk. My positioning is not idea at the moment due to this and I havn't been able to play with the dip switches for to tune the sound. Also the flu hasn't helped

Top Bottom