• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio LP-UNF

sejarzo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I disagree with this statement.

How so? Here's the block diagram for the TAS5805M chip. If one uses the analog inputs, they must go through an ADC before the signal is fed to the amp--ergo, the reason for the PCM1863 if someone found it on the actual board. Unsure how the USB-C signal is processed between that input and the amp.

1709915079268.png

sejarzo

Forum Donor
"They are about 2 feet off the wall (as you can see in this photo)."

Is it just me, or did Erin not include the photo?

Smitty2k1

Not that I've had any issues with them but I sort of regret getting the Vanatoo T0+ recently. Mostly because I don't like the looks. They sound good

Edit: actually these look a fair amount larger than the Vanatoo.

Blockader

I disagree with this statement.
UNF's drivers have significantly higher IMD and overall distortion when compared to that DAC. A bookshelf speaker of this size usually have about more than 3% intermodulation distortion, especially while playing bass-heavy music at around 80dB. The distortion coming from the drivers will far exceed that of the DAC, easily masking any distortion that the DAC contributes.

I'd suggest testing your own ability to hear distortion. Most people cannot discern distortion levels beyond -40dB when listening to music. Hearing distortion with simple tones is easier. Choose the test stimulus with L(x) if you want, L(x) exhibits more IMD than other test samples. Post your results here if you want.

thelochias

Those are more than twice the price. The iLoud Mini are priced similarly, but only 30% the size.
Not sure what the actual competitors would be, other budget 4-4.5" monitors would be the closest, not too many of those around. Maybe Eris 4.5 or M-Audio BX4, but they are worse and cheaper. KH80 are better but way more expensive. Budget 5" monitors tend to be bigger, especially deeper, which doesn't reallyput them as direct competitors.
The typical multimedia speakers like Eris 3.5 and Mackie CR are smaller, much worse but also much cheaper.
It's not a bad market segment to be in, somebody who is looking to upgrade from your typical PC speakers like Logitech might find themselves getting these for a worthwhile upgrade.
Interesting to think about. I'm mainly looking for long term smaller form factor monitors (for mixing and sound design) that I can eventually pair a sub with. I wouldn't mind eventually buying the Kali WS 6.2 just to use with these in the future due to no sub output. Would it be worth doubling the investment and hoping I luck out on the QC of the iLouds?

3125b

Major Contributor
They don't stay fitted well because the cable is quite hefty, and the locking isn't very good
There aren't any photos of the back of these speakers that are good enough to definitely determine this (could you take one?), but I'm pretty sure that's because they used the wrong terminal.
There are different PCB terminals for this system, it appers Kali used the basic type with open sides: https://www.phoenixcontact.com/de-de/produkte/leiterplattengrundleiste-ccv-25-4-g-508-p26thr-1955400
The same thing with closed sides offers much more rigidity: https://www.phoenixcontact.com/de-d...tengrundleiste-ccva-25-4-g-508-p26thr-1955879
They're even the same price at 59.91€/100 pieces.

And then of course there is the version with screw retention: https://www.phoenixcontact.com/de-de/produkte/leiterplattengrundleiste-mstbv-25-4-gf-508-1777099
That's probably what they should use with a heavy cable, but it is more expensive and needs to be screwed to the PCB as well. And the plugs wouldn't fit well with heatshrink tubing: https://www.phoenixcontact.com/de-de/produkte/leiterplattenstecker-mstbc-25-4-stzf-508-1809750

no sub output
Unfortunately that goes for most monitor type speakers, I wish Kali had given these a sub (or preamp) output, would have made a lot of sense for multimedia speakers. But the WS 6.2 is a good sub, way better value than most studio subs, shouldn't be an issue.Me personally I would get coaxial speakers for desktop use if at all possible, but these have better vertical directivity than most and the drivers aren't spaced as far apart as some other monitors, so they should sum up better at close range. The iLoud seem pointless if you can use a sub, they get bass extension at the cost of limited SPL capability out of very samll speakers. These can play much louder.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately that goes for most monitor type speakers, I wish Kali had given these a sub (or preamp) output, would have made a lot of sense for multimedia speakers
Yes, it would. However from a technical standpoint it’s understandable: the signal processing is done in the chip amp, so there is no way to get a third filtered digital signal out of these things without additional additional hardware. In a budget minded product, this is understandable. Granted, the way I now hooked up the WS 6.2 is a bit cumbersome, but it works and is very flexible.

ninetylol

Kali LP-UNF vs Edifier MR4 on my Desk (my desk space is pretty terrible accoustics wise as you can see)

Screenshot 2024-03-10 151406.png

Sounds a bit bigger/fuller than the MR4 somehow. Sounds pretty good (especially after EQ) not gonna lie. Dont know if its worth 5x the price though.

Last edited:

ninetylol

So tldr my quick subjective experience with the Kalis vs the MR4

The Kalis sound better out of the box without EQ, go a bit lower and can go louder without distorting (if you need it that loud 85db+)
The Kalis look quite nice in person and everything is pretty good quality (i didnt have a problem with the interconnect cable) - they are also a bit bigger and heavier
If you can EQ them they are both playing at the same quality level with limitations I described above
If money is no issue I would prolly take the Kalis
If you keep money in mind, i would prolly take the MR4 with a small sub to get more low end and even save some money

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
I am weird or these are the ugliest Kalis yet? The lines are somehow wrong, like the plastic case just melted, but that super bright blue LEDs blasting straight into eyes helps a bit as they blind you for a while

ninetylol

I am weird or these are the ugliest Kalis yet? The lines are somehow wrong, like the plastic case just melted, but that super bright blue LEDs blasting straight into eyes helps a bit as they blind you for a while
It really isn’t that bright. You don’t notice it in normal use.
you can also turn the LED off with a dipswitch

Slimer

Just picked these up and I'm very impressed. Quality seems on par with my Q150s.

Did some quick tests going back and forth between the USB input and the TRS input connected to my Motu M2. It sounds like the USB input loses some detail and may be a bit more distorted. It's not a huge difference, but enough for me to notice and stick with the TRS. I guess there are some disagreements on whether the USB would change anything, but it could be the Windows drivers are just not very good causing some minor sound degradation.

Also there is some hiss with these, but it's pretty quiet so you'll only notice it in a very quiet room.

Power button on the back is annoying. Would be a lot easier for my usage if it was on the front or sides.

The cord connecting the two speakers is quite short. Should be fine if you have them around a single computer monitor, but for my dual monitor setup it's not long enough. Will have to buy a longer cord from Kali in order to get proper placement on my desk.

Overall really nice speakers.

mellowflight

So tldr my quick subjective experience with the Kalis vs the MR4

The Kalis sound better out of the box without EQ, go a bit lower and can go louder without distorting (if you need it that loud 85db+)
The Kalis look quite nice in person and everything is pretty good quality (i didnt have a problem with the interconnect cable) - they are also a bit bigger and heavier
If you can EQ them they are both playing at the same quality level with limitations I described above
If money is no issue I would prolly take the Kalis
If you keep money in mind, i would prolly take the MR4 with a small sub to get more low end and even save some money
How would you compare the amplifier hiss between the MR4’s and the Kali’s?

ninetylol

Did you notice if the coil whine noise went away? Or is it still persistent?
It went away after a while but it still made such a bad impression I had to package the Kalis back and started a refund.

I dont want to pay a 5x premium to have compromises.

Top Bottom