• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali UNF vs Kali in-5 for Small Untreated Room

monks-cat

Hi all!

I'm finally upgrading from my m-audio bx5a's. I'm intrigued by the Kali UNF monitor system since some reviews mention its ideal for a small untreated room. However, the main selling point is that the sound is very localized and won't bother your neighbors. I live in small cottage and don't care about this.

But treating my room is also out of the question, and theres a lot of stuff that reverberates sound (including my upright piano). Although my room has some advantages since it has non parallel walls.

Does anyone know if the Kali UNF system would be a better option than something like the Kali in-5s? I guess without giving you my room schematic it would be hard to tell. But I do wonder if anybody uses the UNF's in an untreated room and really thinks it works. I'll try to draw out and upload my room dimensions tomorrow, if that helps at all. Speakers are likely to placed close to a wall.

In either case, I'll likely pair it with a Kali 6.2 sub (with footswitch for occasional sub listening)

Ellebob

Forum Donor
If mostly sitting at a desk the UNF is a good option, otherwise IN-5.

OP
M

monks-cat

If mostly sitting at a desk the UNF is a good option, otherwise IN-5.

My desk is against a wall in the middle of the room. My ears are about 2 ft higher then the desk. Thus, if I get traditional monitors, the monitors will probably not be directly on the desk but rather 2 ft above, either using stands or wall mounts. Does your advice still apply? Is it the presence of the desk, or the fact that the speakers lay on the desk?

Ellebob

Forum Donor
It was more about proximity to the speakers and available desk space. I think the UNF would be a little more forgiving if very close and easier to reposition. If they will be more than a meter away I would probably lean towards the IN-5 especially if you can aim them towards your ears.

uwotm8

Consider Adam T5Vs, I love how mine sound in desk-nearfield mode (~0.8m triangle and even closer). Basically like desktop headphones. They have a deep spacious soundstage and sound is just there, absolutely detached from speakers.

If I was buying speakers for rather a sofa listening/midfield then just straight to IN-5 as a no-brainer among these according to price/performance/capabilities.

Top Bottom