• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio LP-UNF

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
DIN-4 would be a better physical connector the extension cable IMO.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
It's quite weird. If I put it straight in then it kinda stays snug.

So the cable length and stiffness really put a spanner in things due to the size and design of my desk. My positioning is not idea at the moment due to this and I havn't been able to play with the dip switches for to tune the sound. Also the flu hasn't helped

I don't understand how you can put it in if you don't put it "straight in." That's the only way it can make a proper connection.

DIN-4 would be a better physical connector the extension cable IMO.

Agreed. Obviously this is a less expensive option for Kali, but as it is something that most users will not disconnect/reconnect very often, I am OK with it.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just buy a pair of connectors and make your own cable assembly.

dafreaking

I don't understand how you can put it in if you don't put it "straight in." That's the only way it can make a proper connection.

Agreed. Obviously this is a less expensive option for Kali, but as it is something that most users will not disconnect/reconnect very often, I am OK with it.

What I meant was even if there's a little bit of a pull on the cable due to it's weight and the stiffness it doesn't seem secure.

Just buy a pair of connectors and make your own cable assembly.
Can't buy this as the cheapest shipping option is over $90 to my country.

I have found other connectors that much the spec, locally and have ordered them. Hope they work out well.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Use the phoenix connector I think it is also called euroconnector with 4 conductor speaker wire or any other 4 conductor stranded wire. The flat wire will look nice. I would recommend 14 or 16 gauge but even 18gauge will be fine for this short distance. Anything larger than 14gauge will be tough to fit in the connector. Many hardware store sell the wire by the foot so you don't have to buy a spool. You can use two pieces of regular 2 conductor speaker wire, lamp cord, etc. It is just nicer for color coding and aesthetics if you have 4 conductor wire.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What I meant was even if there's a little bit of a pull on the cable due to it's weight and the stiffness it doesn't seem secure.

Can't buy this as the cheapest shipping option is over $90 to my country.

I have found other connectors that much the spec, locally and have ordered them. Hope they work out well.
The "original" version of this connector is made by Phoenix Contact, specifically its COMBICON-M series.

It is a common connector type and multiple vendors make compatible versions of it. When in doubt, ask your vendor if the connector is compatible with it. Hopefully your vendor knows the answer.

sejarzo

Forum Donor
Thank you all. I have ordered the local version of the connectors. Trying to source a 2 metres of Canare 4S8 speaker wire too

I often find short lengths of bulk cable on eBay here in the US. Sometimes it's obvious that a user had some left over from a bigger project, other times it seems as if there are sellers that sell 10 ft lengths from a larger bulk spool routinely. Unsure if that's the case in India, though!

christaras

So, received them today together with the sub. Haven’t had time to set them up, but will do tomorrow. First impressions on feel and visuals: they look decent enough. They are very lightweight though and are a bit plasticy. The tapered shape make them look even smaller than they are.

The new dual 6.5” sub looks and feels like a beast. It’s small enough though for under my desk. It’s quite heavy and feels substantial, maybe even a bit premium. It’s easily twice the weight of the small monitors combined :oops:
I am considering buying the sub are you happy with your purchase? Thank you in advance.

Cool Runnings

A couple of weeks into nearfield listening to the Kali LP UNFs in my small office space (~100 sq ft) at low to moderate volumes (under 70db). Paired with a Audio Engine S6 sub. It's really sweet for nearfield listening. All the details are there, imaging is excellent, feels like I'm on stage with the music. Really exceptional value for nearfield desktop duties. Beats any other speakers before it. Spendor Classic 3/5, Triangle Bro2s, Dali Spektor2s, JBL Stage A120.

However, I just tried very off-axis listening at 80+ DB outside my office. This is the only weakness I've found so far. Just based on memory (probably not very reliable) the Kali LP UNFs are definitely not better sounding than the other speakers I've had. It's a small gripe but I do wonder if anyone knows why. The details seem much lost, mids sound weak and somehow the quality of overall sound is just clearly worse vs nearfield and the other speakers off-axis.

aemarques

This is not a review of the sound character. It focuses more on functionality and design. The author evaluates this model very positively, but at the same time emphasizes that their sound does not stand out from the competition (Eve SC205, Genelec 8010). It highlights the very low price for such quality, the lack of noise and hiss, and the rare Bluetooth. He notes that he doesn't like the unusual volume control, but he still prefers it to the one located on the back of the speaker. Draws attention to the increase in the third harmonic at the end of the woofer's operating range. He also tested the bass reflex port for noise and hiss, but found nothing. He describes the treble and upper midrange as "optimal, balanced and legible". Listening 80 cm from the speakers, Kali builds a spatial scene, credible in width, but not very clear in depth.
Sorry if this is a dumb remark... But... How come the Genelec 8010, at 600€ a pair, or the EVE audio SC205, that cost 950€/pair (!) can be considered "competition" with the Kali LP-UNF that cost... 350€/pair?! (all prices based on thomann.de shop).

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Sorry if this is a dumb remark... But... How come the Genelec 8010, at 600€ a pair, or the EVE audio SC205, that cost 950€/pair (!) can be considered "competition" with the Kali LP-UNF that cost... 350€/pair?! (all prices based on thomann.de shop).
First of all, Price ≠ Quality. Especially in audio.

Secondly, the 8010 is in an entirely different size class than the EVE and Kali: https://comparesizes.com/comparison/Genelec-8010A-vs-Kali-LPUNF-vs-EVE-SC205/1713519870269

Here are the 8010's actual competitors: https://comparesizes.com/comparison...c-8010A-vs-EVE-SC203-vs-Vanatoo/1709836826673

aemarques

First of all, Price ≠ Quality. Especially in audio.

Secondly, the 8010 is in an entirely different size class than the EVE and Kali: https://comparesizes.com/comparison/Genelec-8010A-vs-Kali-LPUNF-vs-EVE-SC205/1713519870269

Here are the 8010's actual competitors: https://comparesizes.com/comparison...c-8010A-vs-EVE-SC203-vs-Vanatoo/1709836826673
Of course: I agree 100%! I was just questioning the original post, that quotes the Polish video where the Kali LP-UNF was being "compared" with speakers that are in a total different league (in both price and size). Obviously (and this forum is a great example in demonstrating that!) Price ≠ Quality. But it is not fair to "compare" something that cost 350€ with speakers that cost 2x or 3x more!

staticV3

Master Contributor
But it is not fair to "compare" something that cost 350€ with speakers that cost 2x or 3x more!
I disagree.

It happens all the time in audio that products with competent engineering and reasonable MSRP wipe the floor with esoteric HiFi products whose biggest sales argument is their ludicrous price and therefore falsely implied value.

If we declared comparisons between those products unfair due to the MSRP difference alone, then we'd potentially spare those esoteric brands the reality check theat they so desperately need.

Last edited:

aemarques

I disagree.

It happens all the time in audio that products with competent engineering and reasonable MSRP wipe the floor with esoteric HiFi products whose biggest sales argument is their ludicrous price and therefore falsely implied value.

If we declared comparisons between those products unfair due to the MSRP difference alone, then we'd potentially spare those esoteric brands the reality check theat they so desperately need.
You *can* compare a product that costs 350€ with one that costs 900€? Sure, if the ideia is to say that the more expensive one doesn't hold a candle to the more inexpensive one; but you can't (or you *shouldn't*) do the inverse: to point out the something so inexpensive should perform as well as a product that costs 3x more.

Also, you are free to disagree with me, as much as I am to disagree with you on this particular issue. ;-)

holdingpants01

Forum Donor
You *can* compare a product that costs 350€ with one that costs 900€? Sure, if the ideia is to say that the more expensive one doesn't hold a candle to the more inexpensive one; but you can't (or you *shouldn't*) do the inverse: to point out the something so inexpensive should perform as well as a product that costs 3x more.

Also, you are free to disagree with me, as much as I am to disagree with you on this particular issue. ;-)
He mentioned them just because he knows and owns them, not because they compete with each other, but at the same time he said they sound at the same level - as in not worse, while being cheaper. He said that to put the Kali brand on the same level as low end Genelec models, Eve, Focal and others well known competing in the midrange market, not to compare those exact models

Top Bottom