• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kali Audio IN-8 Studio Monitor Review

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Terminology note: generally, a gated measurement in a non-anechoic environment will be called "quasi-anechoic." Yes, it should look (above about 2x the reciprocal of the gating time) just like a measurement in an anechoic environment, but the "quasi" distinguishes the particular method to obtain those data.

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For finer comparison below is ASR curve (black) overlaid verse Kali curve (green):

kali.png

Vovgan

Forum Donor
Finally there is the distortion measurements:

Great, thanks for adding this measurement to the dashboard! Looking forward to see how better speakers measure in this regard.

Is it possible to express this graph in a single SINAD number?

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The curves look similar above the x-over frequency for the woofer (330 Hz). So faulty components for the woofer section or something else?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a link to another analysis of the IN-8 where the reviewer did his own measurements: http://www.hifi-forum.de/index.php?action=browseT&forum_id=30&thread=13717&postID=33159#33159

His comments are in German, but you can see the overall frequency response of the speakers. Minus the bumps below 200 HZ, which I write off to the room, these measurements reflect what we would expect as far as the performance of the loudspeaker.
Hello everyone,

Since I am the guy who did those measurements and review (I bought my pair myself as I like to collect neutral, good measuring speakers and Genelec 83x1 are too expensive for my current listening situation), I would like to give some comments, but first of all thank Amir for this excellent platform (which I knew since some time due to his great electronics measurements) and his huge step to get himself a so expensive Klippel NFS system from my country.

As I wrote in my German text/review (best translator for English to German is imho https://www.deepl.com/translate ) my measurements of course are by far not as accurate as the ones here, since I just use the common windowing or spacial averaging methods in my unfortunately not big listening room.

Before I did my measurements, I listened to the Kali pair for a week, so my listening impressions are not biased by them. The only small problems I heard then were that metallic cymbals were too polite and also few common room modes.

The cymbal problem was confirmed later in my measurements and now also on Amirs and is common to most coaxial drivers with very few exceptions like KEF which optimises they coaxial drivers since more than 20 years. Most coaxial drivers show some problems on axis (which multiply due to the coaxial symmetry) but disappear on other angles, so correcting them on axis would deteriorate the off axis and even worse the power response of the speaker, so an experienced engineer like Charles Sprinkle correctly didn't do so. One thing that could have been done though is to recommend in their user manual not to tow them exactly in to the listeners position, but more or less, which I also did in my later listening tests.

The other main complaint of Amir is actually an approximately a 3dB too silent woofer, since the official crossover frequency is at 330 Hz and thus quite at the frequency where the drop/step in his measurements happen. This one is questioned by Kali in their post this morning and I can't comment it from measurements point of view due to my windowing technique. What I can comment though is its relatively low relevance in typical listening rooms and loudspeaker placements, as due to nearby boundary surfaces and room modes there are always discrete peaks and dips below
the Schröder frequency of the room which need equalising. On the other side, in my room setup as well of some friends of mine where I took some measurements too, loudspeakers with deep linear bass usually have a bit too much lower bass, even compared to the Harman target curve with the low bass bump, but that can be different for example in rooms with non-solid walls.

I can post a moving microphone measurement around my listening position in my relatively new, unfortunately not yet acoustically optimised, listening room compared to my preferred Harman target curve when I don't toe them fully in:

1.jpg

As it can be seen, almost no EQ is needed above 500 Hz, which is often an indication of a good loudspeaker, a louder woofer would actually mean rather more correction necessary in my setup, only the bit too tame higher treble could need a couple of dB, here my current equalised response:

2.jpg

As it can be seen except the slight high shelve filter there are only 2 tiny filters above 500 Hz which are also more for my conscience and the listening difference without them is very small and actually without them the sound is a bit more pleasing due to the small presence dip.

With all this I am trying to say that precision measurements of loudspeakers, like they are now performed on this platform, are extremely welcome, but also need upmost care in their interpretation (not different to their audio electronics counterparts), one simple metric like SINAD is too nice to be alone fully informative, especially with loudspeakers, because I already saw few people writing the JBL 305 is much better. Well, I own the 305 MKI (which is very similar to the measured MKII) since it was released and can assure you, that is not true in most cases, maybe only at extreme nearfield listening distance and if not using EQ. We cannot ignore audible intermodulation distortion in the psychoacoustically critical mid regions when things get louder on a small two way speaker and/or more bass-heavy, also the more continuous power response and vertical radiation pattern of a coaxial driver. Also we shouldn't forget that as Dr. Floyd Toole says, anomalies in the frequency response can be easily corrected by EQ but not anomalies in the radiation pattern, a reason why I also have kept my passive KEF LS50 since they were released (now as my desktop speakers), because they are really great with just a bit of EQ which corrects their FR anomalies.

Best regards
Thewas, who loves and owns many models of loudspeaker brands with serious engineering like also Genelec, JBL, KEF etc.

Last edited:

Severian

Forum Donor
I have to say, it's looking quite possible to me that there really was an issue with woofer (or more likely the amp for the woofer) on the speaker Amir measured. Things look pretty good from 400Hz to 8KHz to me. Another 3-4dB on the woofer and the response would look much better and I'm sure the tonal balance would have improved significantly in the listening test.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No worries, it's already on its way back to the vendor(Not to make this an ad -- but I bought it from Sweetwater and their customer service has been fantastic). I'm not keeping it.
There a dozens of these small powered monitors, many at a very low price point. Anyone interested should drop by your local pro-oriented guitar store or go on-line. Guitar Center, Sam Ash, Sweetwater, etc. All offer no-hassle money back returns. Buy a box of whatever you are interested in, connect them to your PC (or whatever), listen for a week or two and return if not satisfied. As the guy in that alien movie said, it's really the only way to be sure.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Guys, I don't know if you ever EQed a speaker, but -3dB between 200Hz and 400Hz is really bad. Whereas you wouldn't hear it between 10000 and 20000Hz most probably.

KaliAudio_Official

Audio Company
I don't mean this in a rude way. Your "anechoic" measurements are obtained by simulation from measurements that are not performed in an actual anechoic environment and actually in a garage. Not trying to diss your hard work, but I think it's fair to point out that unless I'm wrong, these are thetoretical simulations of what the anechoice measurement should hopefully be.
please take this in the spirit of “no dumb questions, but is this last graphic intended as a measurement of the IN-8 frequency response (averaged direct and off-axis measurements)?

Your website lists frequency “range” +/-3dB as being 45Hz-21kHz.

Eyeballing the above graph it seems to be showing a variation closer to +/- 9dB over that same range?

Not a dumb question at all. The last graphic we posted was measurements taken in an untreated room with no EQ applied. The wild response below 200k is from the interaction of the speaker with the room. This is characteristic of this type of measurement, and is not a cause for concern.

Severian

Forum Donor
The dip is perhaps a trade-off necessitated by the coaxial design - a very steep slope on the mid driver to reduce intermodulation distortion with the tweeter? But lessening that compromise seems like the very point of this three-way design - this woofer plays much higher in the LP-8 so shouldn't it have no trouble with a smooth crossover around 330Hz?

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The dip is perhaps a trade-off necessitated by the coaxial design - a very steep slope on the mid driver to reduce intermodulation distortion with the tweeter? But lessening that compromise seems like the very point of this three-way design - this woofer plays much higher in the LP-8 so shouldn't it have no trouble with a smooth crossover around 330Hz?
Bad idea to put a crossover in the 200-400Hz, unless it's 96dB/oct FIR slopes. Nothing better to mess with the phase.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
please take this in the spirit of “no dumb questions, but is this last graphic intended as a measurement of the IN-8 frequency response (averaged direct and off-axis measurements)?

Your website lists frequency “range” +/-3dB as being 45Hz-21kHz.

Eyeballing the above graph it seems to be showing a variation closer to +/- 9dB over that same range?

Before they chime in, I’m foreseeing them saying it’s a listening window spec.

Yeah, you can't just use on-axis because of the coaxial issues many have mentioned. The listening window would be better. In any case, I wouldn't worry about a +/-3dB spec other than for bass extension maybe. There's no standard way to determine it, so manufacturers will vary in the smoothing, averaging, and reference point they use. Sometimes they won't specify whether that's an anechoic or in-room figure, the latter which will typically have much more bass because of boundary reinforcement. I've seen speakers with similar +/- 3dB specs that measure completely different.

I have to say, it's looking quite possible to me that there really was an issue with woofer (or more likely the amp for the woofer) on the speaker Amir measured. Things look pretty good from 400Hz to 8KHz to me. Another 3-4dB on the woofer and the response would look much better and I'm sure the tonal balance would have improved significantly in the listening test.

Yeah; as I mentioned earlier, I found it odd that everything from 400Hz+ seemed to follow the curve targets well and that the directivity seemed well controlled, but then the woofer was so down in level. At first I thought that was because the speaker was meant for close wall placement, but Kali's manual doesn't indicate that. Further investigation needed.

Guys, I don't know if you ever EQed a speaker, but -3dB between 200Hz and 400Hz is really bad. Whereas you wouldn't hear it between 10000 and 20000Hz most probably.

It's not really -3dB in Kali's measurement if you're looking at the centerline through the measurements - the shelving in Amir's anechoic measurement is definitely much worse and much more audible. Not ideal, but this is also around where schroeder begins so I'm more concerned with the overall trend. This dip doesn't seem so bad in Kali's in-room spatial average, but I guess we'll have to wait to find out more.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd like to commend @KaliAudio_Official for participating in this forum where many other manufactures don't have the chops to do so. The question is if it's Charles Sprinkle behind the keyboard!?!? I certainly enjoyed speaking with him when I toured JBL before my M2 purchase. :D

D

Deleted member 2944

I'd like to commend @KaliAudio_Official for participating in this forum where many other manufactures don't have the chops to do so. The question is if it's Charles Sprinkle behind the keyboard!?!? I certainly enjoyed speaking with him when I toured JBL before my M2 purchase. :D
It's Nate Baglyos from Kali, not Charles.

Dave.

3ll3d00d

Thanks. It supports ASCII, VACS and binary Matlab from what I have seen (these are measurement graph exports).
If you send me an example then I can take a look. I think any of those formats should be readable in python, possibly MATLAB might be least effort as scipy has some function to load those files

phlipski

I feel like I just took a master audio engineering class over the course of this single feed! Great stuff.

Question - for @amirm - I don't know if you've ever read John Krutke's measurement info over at zaphaudio.com but he mentioned a huge temperature related frequency response changes with respect to car audio. You stated that your Klippel setup is in your (cold) garage. Most people are listening to their speakers in a house with the room temp in the 68-74F degree range. If your garage is unheated and cold that could have an effect on the measurements. It might be worth logging the air temp, humidity and barometric pressure of your test environment during measurements.

Top Bottom