• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JL ELectronics Sylph-D200 Amplifier Module Review

ICIETDIYEUR

Hello everyone :)

For those who wonder about my 'signature': SYLPH AUDIO D200 MKII 'LIMITED EDITION' ->

8.jpg

9.jpg

limited.jpg

We can do better, it's true... :rolleyes:

Indeed, I am in favor of simplicity but also of efficiency: this is what I retain from my little experience in 'DIY'...

... and so I can get exactly what I'm looking for according to my needs ;)

By the way: do you like my 'logos' ? ->

3 - Logos.jpg

4 - Détail logo.jpg

It wasn't easy to get hold of it and it took a long time but I think it was worth the patience :cool:

I had 'submitted' them to Lester for a kind of 'validation' and he liked them ->

"Did you dream of it ? This time Sony didn't make them !!!" :D

To end with this very short post, i'm still waiting for a few elements to refine some details and if you're wise I'll show you the interior :p

I would surely take this opportunity to develop a few technical details on my amp if you are interested, of course...

See you soon !

ICIETDIYEUR

Here is an additional picture of the back of my Sylph Audio D200 MK II amp 'Limited Edition' :cool: ->

Back.jpg

These are not the final serigraphs that I am still waiting for from my supplier :(

These do the job well in the meantime even if I find them really not terrible :mad:

As you can see, I kept it simple, basing myself on the essentials of my needs: it's in 'my philosophy'.

See you soon for more... ;)

ICIETDIYEUR

... Following

Small precision for the two switches located under the XLR sockets ->

FINAL DIAGRAM (17-02-2023).png

They are commonly called 'GROUND LIFT' and they are used to disconnect the ground of the device from that of the electrical circuits to avoid possible problems of 'ground loop' which can occur depending on the type of wiring used by the device(s) upstream of the amplifier ;)

The mains earth still remains connected to the chassis of the device to protect the user in the event of a possible short-circuit: which in addition to being preferable is mandatory: we will understand why :eek:

It should be noted that this 'small connection' can be used with an amplifier equipped with RCA (unbalanced) by using the ground connection of its socket in the same way as with the XLR (balanced) used here.

Note that Lester's 'MOD' was made here with silver mica capacitors :cool:

See you next time...

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Can the MEAN WELL ERPF-400-48 switching power supply not be a better choice with regard to its technical sheet, specificities and especially without fan ?
It is resistant to moisture and dust, which also looks interesting...
Its ripple (240mVp-p) and leakage current (<1ma/240VAC) are weaker and should therefore give better 'results' although the rated current is lower by 1.1A (8.3A instead of 9.4A) but it should be sufficient if we refer to the technical data of TI for the TPA3255.
Just bought this power supply from Mouser to test it. We'll provide THD+N result using this power supply, and some listening tests.

Nice build you got there! :)

ICIETDIYEUR

Thank you Lester ;)

Wait until you see the inside and I give some details about some technical and material choices I used:

it would be interesting... :)

About the switching power you bought from MOUSER , I think you can obtain goods 'results' with this MEAN WELL ERPF-400-48 :cool:

Cordially.

ICIETDIYEUR

Hi everyone.

Here is the small puzzle that I proposed on another site to try to reconstruct the interior of my amplifier ->

Puzzle.jpg

Up to you !

See you soon ;)

ICIETDIYEUR

People hi :)

As your weekend is over :(, I will try to make this beginning of the week more pleasant for you ;)

Here is the interior of my amplifier as promised ->

Interior.jpg

1 - chassis
2 - IEC mains socket
3 - AC filter
4 - Soft start
5 - Switching power supply
6 - DC filter
7 - on/off button
8 - D200MKII PCB
9 - spécial cables
10 - speaker terminals
11 - XLR sockets

I will explain later the details on the different elements (reason for the choice, availability and modifications made).

See you soon...

ICIETDIYEUR

As rightly suggested by Lester on another site concerning my amplifier, I removed the 'Soft-start' PCB (4) which was duplicate with the 'NTC' of the power supply ->

Interior (new).jpg

See you soon ;)

ICIETDIYEUR

Hi :)

Here is what I did for my amp which I called 'special cables' (marker 9 in photo):

Lester told me it was a good idea and he would use it surely for his next achievements ->

0 - Interior.jpg

1 - Fils 2,5mm2 torsadés.png

2 - Gaine de tresse de masse en fils de cuivre.png

3 - Fils torsadés recouvert avec la gaine de tresse de masse en fils de cuivre.png

Covered with a heat-shrink sleeve finish, the result is 'guaranteed' ;)

See you soon.

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Received the ERPF-400-48 power supply from Mouser today. I realized that it can only do 48V 200W output when fed from 120V supply (input rating is only 3A@115V) Didn’t pay attention to specsheet or maybe the rating is slightly misleading. There is no switch for 110/220V selection. We have 240V mains here in the Philippines so no problem.

194470D5-5EA7-46F0-8797-2F386ED1B679.jpeg

The whole board is potted to the chassis so the board is non-removeble, non repairable. Top cover acts as a heatsink extension
6B09663E-791F-4D28-91C1-89D8E660BE71.jpeg

There are no mounting holes on the bottom, and no access for drilling since you cannot remove the board from the chassis so this is only intended for mounting on the wall. I think that this unit is only good as a test bench supply. Since mounting this on an amp chassis will look awkward.

Attachments

• E216E1B8-2AFF-4940-80E7-1A3D410615BB.jpeg
    E216E1B8-2AFF-4940-80E7-1A3D410615BB.jpeg
    348.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

ICIETDIYEUR

"ICIETDIYEUR said:
Can the MEAN WELL ERPF-400-48 switching power supply not be a better choice with regard to its technical sheet, specificities and especially without fan ?
It is resistant to moisture and dust, which also looks interesting...
Its ripple (240mVp-p) and leakage current (<1ma/240VAC) are weaker and should therefore give better 'results' although the rated current is lower by 1.1A (8.3A instead of 9.4A) but it should be sufficient if we refer to the technical data of TI for the TPA3255".

Oops :oops:

We could not know for the fixing...

Perhaps you can make aluminum brackets that you would fix laterally to integrate it correctly into a box ?

1> You should add photos so that we can better understand the inside of the power supply without its top cover...

2> Have you done any measurements to compare it to other power supplies ?

3> Of all the power supplies you have tested, which one seems the most suitable for you at the moment ?

4> Have you tested my 'special wires' and what do you think ?

Regarding the 'insulation' of my chassis presented on another site ->

2 - Brut bottom side.jpg

Then, this is what I use ->

3 - Anti-EMI scotch.jpg

Here is the 'treated' side ->

4 - Treated.jpg

I complete with this other 'coating' ->

5 - High Temp. Isolation.jpg

Here is the finished side ->

6 - Finished.jpg

It only remains to do the same thing on ALL sides of the case...

5> Have you tested ?

Regards.

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Perhaps you can make aluminum brackets that you would fix laterally to integrate it correctly into a box ?
Yes the brackets can be attached to the screw mounting of the "top cover" on the sides, so no drilling is required.
What I find awkward is the wall hanger here. And the brackets that will attached on the sides, anyways it will depend on the builder on how these can be hidden.

1679059504423.png

2> Have you done any measurements to compare it to other power supplies ?

3> Of all the power supplies you have tested, which one seems the most suitable for you at the moment ?

4> Have you tested my 'special wires' and what do you think ?
No time yet for now. SE-450-48 specs is also good, though we need to determine an appropriate method to disable the fan.

Regards,
Lester

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
MEAN WELL ERPF-400-48 is not suitable for audio.

There is a noise around 5.2kHz when ERPF-400-48 is being used.. I tried measuring 10W 4ohms output of my class-d amplifier to rule-out if the ~5.2kHz is just a frequency of burst mode / power saving mode of the SMPS. But the 5.2kHz is still there at ~10W power.

I will try the SE-450-48 next.

ERPF48.PNG

10W 4ohms class-d output using ERPF-400-48 at 50V
10W4ohm.PNG

Last edited:

ICIETDIYEUR

People hi :)

Here are the last changes for my amp->

1 - Avant.jpg

The switch has been replaced and no longer has a led, the feet have also changed color and are black now but are the same model.

4 - Intérieur.jpg

The 'SOFT-START' PCB has been put back in place and some copper elements have been added such as the heatsinks on the OPAMPS :cool:

I have 6 capacitors left to replace that I expect very soon to complete the 'optimizations'.

I still have the copper background to make but I'm waiting to have to dismantle the PCBs when I have my capacitors...

Here is the back of my amplifier with the new serigraphs in place of which I had to create the 'FONT TABLE' myself ->

3 - Arrière.jpg

I wanted it 'pure' so simple with a graphic reminder of the letters on the front face as well as the 'Limited Edition' plate that I bought ready made:

it's quite successful, isn't it ?

For those who might be interested, I still have 10 sets of complete serigraphs that include a duplicate in case of error (you never know) ->

Sérigraphies.jpg

As you can see, there are these 4 'pads' per set.

These are very thin chrome metal letters with a powerful adhesive that allows them to be applied a bit like the decals of the time:

it's very effective and it adheres strongly even on a brushed aluminum frame like mine.

Just as a reminder, I'm from France and I don't know which shipping method can be the most economical depending on the destination...

Otherwise my friend has returned from his long trip and I don't know yet when I could organize myself with him to take the measurements of this amp.

See you soon folks ;)

SylphAudio

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Good thing Mean Well SE-450-48 is usable for audio since I recommended this power supply in the past for Sylph-D200.
But unlike the LRS-350 series, this one has a loud fan even on idle mode. So it requires modifications to turn off the fan.

FFT spectrum with a TPA3255 module, setup is Motu Ultralite MK5 balanced DAC and ADC.

Here's a 5W 4R FFT (module undisclosed) using SE-450-48 adjusted to 51V.
There are mains harmonics on the FFT spectrum, I will check if this can be fixed by changing the wiring setup..

DAC connected with no output, 4 ohms loadd

zidle.PNG

5W @4ohms output
z5W4R SE450@51v.PNG

Last edited:

ICIETDIYEUR

Hi Lester,

What's about the fan ?

Regards.

Top Bottom