• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JDS Labs EL DAC II Review

ta240

Major Contributor
I'm assuming that if you unplug the power adapter when it is on and then plug it back in later it won't be on until you touch the button but wanted to double check. I like using the switched outlets on the receiver to turn on things like this and it is nice if they just come on with the receiver.

I am really happy with this Dac it is a excellent value. I am just wondering if I was to change the streaming device to a bluesound node 2i from an iPhone or iPad? Is this going to sound better or anything else ? I am using Tidal ( the premium).

Tup3x

I wouldn't call this excellent value. Considering the price I'd expect it to offer better features and performance than Sound BlasterX G6 but it doesn't.

Maybe it is not a great deal but I am still happy with the way it sounds. I hope that the DAC works well with my newest purchase. I decided against the Bluesound streamer and went with the Allo Digione signature. I am sort of second guessing this decision in favor of the US bridge but I already pulled the trigger. I had it set up for a Moode SD OS. Think is all very new to me,so if y’all want to pm me with any suggestions on what I need to do to stream Tidal in the best way I would appreciate it.

bboris77

It would be very interesting to see a shootout/comparison between this unit and the Modi 3 to see what advantages you get for an extra $199.

I will answer my own question since I just got the El Dac II/ El Amp II combo. I sold my Modi 3. The main functional difference between these two units is that the El Dac II does not pick up any radio frequency or electro-magnetic interference. I live close to an airport and there is a strong radar signal close by. Over the years, I have had a number of components that pick up its annoying blip that exhibits as a low level ticking sound that appears every 5 seconds. Some tube amps have it, Schiit Mani and Modi 3 had it, Bottlehead Crack had it. This is usually at unreasonably high volume levels, but it bothers me knowing it is there. Equipment with better shielding and/or filtering components does not have this problem. I am very happy to say that El Dac II passes the test.

Technically speaking, it sounds great. No real surprises there. It is not better or worse than the Modi 3.

Now, to go back to why it is worth more than the Modi 3 - the design of the case is absolutely breathtaking. Photographs do not do it justice. It really is a very premium-looking unit. The Modi 3 has a metal case, but it is a very budget unit with its micro-usb connectors, switching power supply and lack of proper RFI filtering.

While I have not had any real issues with the Schiit support, John from JDS (and their whole team) is legendary. He literally responds within minutes to any questions/concerns.

Veri

Master Contributor
While I have not had any real issues with the Schiit support, John from JDS (and their whole team) is legendary. He literally responds within minutes to any questions/concerns.

Yep, have had the same experience. Thanks for your impressions, glad to hear the EL Dac is as good as it seems.

mslim

Has JDSLabs made any firmware upgrades to this model since release (Xmos etc - advertised as upgradable). Also does this support DSD?

Veri

Master Contributor
Has JDSLabs made any firmware upgrades to this model since release (Xmos etc - advertised as upgradable). Also does this support DSD?
It supports DSD, yes, over DoP(DSD over PCM). No updates as far as I know, but I haven't seen any issues either..

August

Disappointingly, it's not as good as el1 or the new atom DAC。why?:facepalm:

panther

Is there any benefit from going from USB to Optical on this?

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Is there any benefit from going from USB to Optical on this?

If you have seriously incurable noise issues from the system permeating through the USB line into the DAC circuit.

Seldom the case now with the newer USB implementations. But if its one of the early generation USB interfaces, maybe.

bboris77

This or JDS labs atom dac?
Performance wise - no real difference. I would get the El DAC II if you need the optical input or the SPDIF, or if you intend to match it with the El Amp II. Other than that, and especially considering the price difference, the Atom DAC all the way.

Windofrce

Performance wise - no real difference. I would get the El DAC II if you need the optical input or the SPDIF, or if you intend to match it with the El Amp II. Other than that, and especially considering the price difference, the Atom DAC all the way.
As I can see Atom DAC is also measuring better on paper?

D

Deleted member 24508

Unfortunately words like synergy, matching and pairing have been co-opted by snake oil salesman, so we have to instead use the more precise terms you mentioned like relative impedance/sensitivity/voltage requirements, to distinguish fact from fiction. More precise/descriptive language is a good thing though really, and will help newcomers learn the workings of audio reproduction, so maybe we should be glad those more vague terms have been claimed for BS purposes.
Presenting data is fine except its like saying how good a wine tastes based upon alcohol content and acidity, its accurate but completely unhelpful.

Top Bottom